[comp.sys.amiga] amiga software - your recommendations

biggers@edsel.UUCP (Mark Biggers) (12/06/87)

(to anyone who knows)

- What WP software for the Amiga do you recommend?  I tend to
like TeX/troff over WYSIWYG, but have some good about
WordPerfect...

- What language implementations do you recommend?  I used MANX C
for awhile in the past, but the slow turnaround time for
editing, compiling, editing, debugging can discourage anyone not
working full-time on Amiga software.  I would *really* like
Smalltalk and C-Scheme, maybe even a decent Logo...  I do remember
JForth was available, but write-only Forth code looks like
ancient hieroglyphics... (of course, it'd be nice if Amiga
libraries were supported for your favorite language)

- How about text editors?  I think I still have that uEmacs from
1.2 beta around here somewhere.

- Shells? Games? Graphics goodies?  All of the above on what Fred
Fish disk #___ (you fill in the blank).

I realize posting all this stuff to the net is a bit much, so
mail to me, please, and I will summarize after a reasonable
number of replies.  Thanks much!
Mark Biggers
Siemens Research & Technology Laboratories
105 College Road East
Princeton, NJ  08540
(609) 734-3325

UUCP: {almost anywhere}!princeton!siemens!biggers
ARPA: biggers%siemens@princeton.edu

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (12/06/87)

In article <324@siemens.UUCP> biggers@edsel.UUCP (Mark Biggers) writes:
>- What language implementations do you recommend?  I used MANX C
>for awhile in the past, but the slow turnaround time for
>editing, compiling, editing, debugging can discourage anyone

With a decent amount of memory (2M or more), and good use of one or more of
the ASDG recoverable ramdisk (VD0:), the Amiga ramdisk (RAM:), and
the dynamic floppy caching program (FaccII), you can hardly call
working with Manx C slow. You can keep your editor (MicroGnuEmacs 1b, in my
case) in the background at all times, the library files, and cc, as, etc,
in VD0:, the object files in RAM:, and the sources on floppy... And to avoid
include file feature. Believe me, under those circumstances, Manx flies.
And the cost of such a system isn't all that much more --- VD0: is shareware
($10) and FaccII is about $30. In addition you have the cost of extra memory
(~$350-400 for extra 2 Megs for the 2000). Not much at all, if you're really
considering doing development work.

Oh, VD0: is on Fish 58, I believe. A most for anyone with 1 or more Megs.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu