[comp.sys.amiga] eXtra-Half-Brite: The Full Story Please!

ugfeldmn@sunybcs.uucp (Jon Feldman) (12/02/87)

[Muncha buncha muncha buncha muncha buncha ST's go with lunch...]

	Can anyone tell me the story behind Extra-Half-Brite, and why some
machines have it and some don't?  Which Amigas do?  Why?  How?  Where?  When?
What?  I don't understand!  Where's the tea?

					Danks,

					- Jon
 .  .   .     .      .       .        .       .      .     .    .   .  . .
Jon Feldman  InterNet:  ugfeldmn@joey.cs.buffalo.edu		      _^--^_
                 uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers,...}!sunybcs!ugfeldmn / .  . \
"Just remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and   (   \  )
 bending over."   		      --- Frank Zappa           ^-----`__U_'
 .  .   .     .      .       .        .       .      .     .    .   .  . ce

In article <6924@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfeldmn@joey.UUCP (Jon Feldman) writes:

> 	Can anyone tell me the story behind Extra-Half-Brite, and why some
> machines have it and some don't?  Which Amigas do?  Why?  How?  Where?  When?
> What?  I don't understand!  Where's the tea?

Extra-Half-Brite is a display mode where five bit planes are used to lookup
the color for a pixel in the color lookup table, and the sixth bitplane is
used to modify the resulting color value by shifting the resulting RGB
values right on position.  It is kind of a kludge which takes advantage
of the fact that the logic for handling six bitplanes was already present
to make HAM work, however changing the color lookup table from 32 to 64
entries would have caused an undesirable increase in the size of the
Denise chip.  Chip cost bears an exponential relationship to area, so
you try to avoid major size increases unless better technology is available
to compensate.

The change was incorporated in Denise Rev 6 which was used in production
for about half of the A1000's.  However since this half includes almost
all the European A1000's, the percentage of US machines with half-brite
is somewhat lower than expected.  The mode is also present in Rev 8
chips and all A500's and A2000's use either the Rev 6 or Rev 8 chip.
There are no functional differences between the two revisions.

Commodore didn't make a big fuss about it since it wasn't really a major
improvement and there were massive numbers of perfectly usable older chips
in the production pipeline.  If you don't have one in your machine, you
can order a replacement Denise chip for $65.40 list, or whatever deal you
can get through your dealer's service department.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

In article <2886@cbmvax.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> It is kind of a kludge which takes advantage
> of the fact that the logic for handling six bitplanes was already present
> to make HAM work, however changing the color lookup table from 32 to 64
> entries would have caused an undesirable increase in the size of the
> Denise chip.  Chip cost bears an exponential relationship to area, so
> you try to avoid major size increases unless better technology is available
> to compensate.

When you do go to a 64-color denise, will it work with the 1000s? Since the 500
and 2000 denise is the same, I'd presume that a 64-color version that would
work in them would work in the 1000. Just like some feedback on this...

(you *ARE* going to have a 64-color denise, aren't you?)

(please?)
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

ewhac@well.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <6924@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfeldmn@joey.UUCP (Jon Feldman) writes:
>	Can anyone tell me the story behind Extra-Half-Brite, and why some
>machines have it and some don't?  Which Amigas do?  Why?  How?  Where?  When?
>What?  I don't understand!  Where's the tea?

	This was the story related to me by Dale Luck, and may be riddled
with inaccuracy.  I make no claims as to truth; it's what I heard.

NationalEnquirerMode (ON);

	In the beginning, there was a chip.  This chip could do all the
vanilla modes, but HAM mode was buggy.  Almost no one saw this version of
the chip (except some unlucky dealers whose demo systems had it).

	Then HAM mode was fixed.  And Commodore saw it was good, said it was
good, and it was good.  And Commodore said, "Go forth and multiply these
chips."  And there were many chips.

	Then, an engineer at C-A re-did the chip mask, and discovered that,
for next to no silicon space, he could add Extra-Halfbright mode.  And he
did so, and saw it was good.  And Commodore agreed that it was good, and
said, "Multiply these chips also."

	And the engineer said, "Wilt thou use these all-new good nifty chips
in thine production system?"  And Commodore replied, "Yea, but not until
after we've gone through all these old ones first."

	And so some systems had Halfbright, and some didn't.  And the
Universal Uncertainty did arise, giving forth many EHB-testing programs.

	And Commodore did partially resolve the Uncertainty, saying unto the
masses, "All 2000's and 500's have the Halfbright feature."  The Uncertainty
still exists for the 1000, but may be resolved by purchasing on thine own
the coveted Halfbright chip, for the draconian price of ~$62.00.

NationalEnquirerMode (OFF);

	Does this help?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac