[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Disk backup info request

gord@spycal.UUCP (Gord Delaney) (11/12/87)

Hi

I am looking for information on programs used to backup files from my
hard disk to diskettes. I know this isn't the best solution, but I don't
have a tape and I thought diskettes would be better than nothing. The
program should use an 'archive' bit and be able to do incremental backups
to a 'backup set'. Other options, like data compression, etc, would be of
interest. Any information on either PD, Shareware, or commercial programs
(or the PD programs themselves) will be appreciated.

Thanks
Gord

carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) (12/03/87)

I use bru, by Fred Fish to back up my hard disk. It is very fast because (for
better or worse) it does not write the floppies in AmigaDos format. So you
must use bru to extract files. On the other hand, I timed it at about two
to three minutes a disk while backing up, so backups finish in about a half an
hour. Since the Amy multitasks, I usually play a game or two of Shanghai
while the backup runs, replacing the disk when I/O stops! Pretty painless
really.

I have found it to be reliable. It does NOT make use of the archive bit in the
current version, but I find it useful by doing an incremental backup
specifying all files since the date of the last full (or incremental as you
prefer) backup. This works quite well, and incrementals go very quickly.

Bru is available only as shareware from Fred Fish, for $30 (last I heard). His
address is:
		        Fred Fish
		        1346 W. 10th Place
		        Tempe, Arizona  85281

--
			Carlos Smith
			uucp:...!harvard!umb!ileaf!carlos

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/08/87)

In article <491@io.UUCP> carlos@zapp.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
>I use bru, by Fred Fish to back up my hard disk. It is very fast because (for
>better or worse) it does not write the floppies in AmigaDos format. So you
>must use bru to extract files. On the other hand, I timed it at about two
>to three minutes a disk while backing up, so backups finish in about a half an
>hour. Since the Amy multitasks, I usually play a game or two of Shanghai
>while the backup runs, replacing the disk when I/O stops! Pretty painless
>really.

Here are some of the tradeoffs of private formats versus DOS formats
(Mac/Amiga/Unix etc), as I see it:

Private Format Advantages:
--------------------------

	1)	Can result in much faster I/O, all other things
		equal, since the format is stream oriented versus
		filesystem oriented.  On the Amiga this is a win
		because of the relatively high filesystem overhead.

	2)	Because the format is stream oriented, recovery from
		corrupted or unreadable archive blocks is much easier.
		You can deliberately overwrite random parts of a bru
		archive and bru will still be able to read and recover
		all the rest of the data, with at most the loss of
		the file containing the overwritten data (if the file
		header block is clobbered).  There is enough redundancy
		built into the format that with even more work (not
		currently implemented) the damage can be limited to
		no more than the actual data clobbered.

	3)	The format works just as well with archives written
		to normal filesystem files, streamer tapes, pipes,
		or even out a serial line.

	4)	Archives are machine independent.  I can transfer
		archives back and forth between Amiga and Unix hosts
		with ease.

	5)	Large numbers of files and hierarchies can be restored
		automatically and easily, rather than manually figuring
		out the necessary native machine commands to restore
		files and directories from a backup that is readable
		directly by the host machine.

	6)	For archive media that requires formatting, the formatting
		can usually be done at the same time that the archive
		data is written, thus saving time and hassle (true of
		the Amiga version for floppies).

	7)	Files larger than what will fit on a single archive volume
		are split across multiple volumes automatically, and
		restoral is just as simple.

Private Format Disadvantages:
-----------------------------

	1)	Requires that a copy of the backup program be available
		for dearchiving files.  This is a hassle if you wish
		to send a large archive/backup to someone that does
		not have the necessary dearchiving program.

	2)	Requires somewhat more work to recover only a single
		file or small group of files that could be quickly
		recovered from a archive that was readable directly
		by the host machine.

	3)	If the format is unpublished, this can be a hassle
		for people that wish to do something special with an
		archive, or diddle with it directly for whatever reason.
		The bru format will be published in detail when I
		get the "internals documentation" finished.

For those that are feeling perverse and would like to stress the error
recovery in bru, here is a cookbook list of things you can do to an
archive.  To make this a fair test, you should really be using the
latest beta 2 version of bru, rather than the freely redistributable
alpha 1 version, and have properly installed the s:brutab file:

	1)	Take a scratch floppy that you don't mind destroying
		and write an archive on it.

	2)	Write a special purpose program that reads the floppy
		track by track and swaps all the bytes in the track.
		I.E.

			ABCDEFGH...

		becomes

			BADCFEHG...

	3)	Ditto for number (2) but now swap all the halfwords:
		I.E.

			BADCFEHG...

		becomes

			DCBAHGFE...

		(All this simulates typical byte/short endian ordering
		 machine dependencies)

	4)	Overwrite several sections of the archive, with both
		large overwrites (>2K) and small overwrites (a few bytes).

	5)	Write a special purpose program that inserts or deletes
		several blocks of random data in multiples of 2K.  I.E.
		if the original archive blocks, each 2K long, are numbered
		sequentially as

			0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ...

		you end up with:

			0 1 2 4 5 6 7 7 8 ...

		(This simulates buggy hardware, typically tape drives,
		 that return either the same block twice or drop a block;
		 yes, this has happened to me in the real world...)

	6)	Now, for good measure, take a magnet, strongly magnetize
		a screwdriver tip, and touch it to several places on the
		archive media at random.  Alternately, if you are not
		worried about possibly damaging your drive heads, you
		can punch a few holes in your media or use a razor blade
		edge to shave off some of the magnetic coating.  :-) :-)
		This simulates an accidentally damaged archive media.

	7)	Now try to read your archive.  Data loss can be minimized
		by giving the smallest possible blocking factor (2K) and
		explicitly giving the media size with the -s option.
		You should get back all your data, except what you
		deliberately deleted or overwrote or scrambled magnetically.

>I have found it to be reliable. It does NOT make use of the archive bit in the
>current version, but I find it useful by doing an incremental backup
>specifying all files since the date of the last full (or incremental as you
>prefer) backup. This works quite well, and incrementals go very quickly.

The Amiga specific enhancements, such as use of the archive bit, will be
completed over the next month or so.  This is being done as part of the
work in integrating bru into a system that includes a filesystem manager
and archive manager.

>Bru is available only as shareware from Fred Fish, for $30 (last I heard). His
>address is:

Actually, the $30 is a registration fee to be a beta tester and is used
to cover the costs of distributing up to 6 updates automatically.  Any
balance remaining at the end of the beta test period will be applied towards
the cost of a commercial release or refunded.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA