[comp.sys.amiga] A2090 notes

A recent Amiga Mail article listed the following disk drives that have been
tested with the A2090 hard disk controller and associated driver software:

SCSI Drives:

Epson		HMD-726A
Miniscribe	8425S
Quantum		Q280
Rodime		RO652
Seagate		ST157N
Segate		251N

ST506/ST412 Drives:

Generic		2 head, 10 MByte
Generic		4 head, 10 MByte
Miniscribe	3425/8425
Miniscribe	3650
Seagate		ST225
Seagate		ST251

Notes:

1) The SCSI drives represent a fair profile of the readily available
   low cost drives.  Many third party peripheral devices have one of
   these drives hidden under the cover.  Other drives should work,
   however command set differences may result in driver problems.
   Reports of what does work and especially what doesn't work are
   appreciated.

2) ST506/ST412 drives are fairly generic these days.  The one restriction
   to keep in mind is that the A2090 does not support relatively exotic
   drives having more than 8 heads.   Check drive specifications to avoid
   embarrassment in this regard.

3) The A2090 hardware and firmware is capable of supporting buffered
   SCSI tape and other peripheral devices, however the current driver
   software is oriented towards disk devices.  Hopefully this situation
   will be improved in the future.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

joeb@marque.mu.edu (Joe Bronikowski) (11/28/87)

In article <2870@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>2) ST506/ST412 drives are fairly generic these days.  The one restriction
>   to keep in mind is that the A2090 does not support relatively exotic
>   drives having more than 8 heads.   Check drive specifications to avoid
>   embarrassment in this regard.

What about drives that allow RLL encoding?  For example, the Seagate ST277R
has the same specs as the ST251 which you mentioned as working, except that
it uses RLL encoding to provide 76.9 MB (unformatted) instead of 51.2 MB (and
the price is only 10% greater!).  Since you need a special RLL controller card
when you use this drive in a PC, does that mean that the A2090 will see it as
only a 51.2 MB disk (or worse)?  Should I buy the ST251 instead?

--
					Joe Bronikowski
					...!seismo!uwvax!uwmcsd1!marque!joeb

In article <1941@marque.mu.edu> joeb@marque.UUCP (Joe Bronikowski) writes:
> In article <2870@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >2) ST506/ST412 drives are fairly generic these days.  The one restriction
> >   to keep in mind is that the A2090 does not support relatively exotic
> >   drives having more than 8 heads.   Check drive specifications to avoid
> >   embarrassment in this regard.
>
> What about drives that allow RLL encoding?  For example, the Seagate ST277R
> has the same specs as the ST251 which you mentioned as working, except that
> it uses RLL encoding to provide 76.9 MB (unformatted) instead of 51.2 MB (and
> the price is only 10% greater!).  Since you need a special RLL controller card
> when you use this drive in a PC, does that mean that the A2090 will see it as
> only a 51.2 MB disk (or worse)?  Should I buy the ST251 instead?

Right, RLL doesn't get you scratch without an RLL controller.  I'm not sure
what will happen with this particular drive, but either you only get the 50MB
or it won't work due to some incompatibility.  Might as well buy to ST251 or
get a SCSI version that hides the RLL or other tricks behind a wall of higher
level protocol.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

tdwest@lion.UUCP (11/29/87)

In article <2870@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>A recent Amiga Mail article listed the following disk drives that have been
>tested with the A2090 hard disk controller and associated driver software:
>
>ST506/ST412 Drives:
>Generic	2 head, 10 MByte |    Generic	4 head, 10 MByte
>Miniscribe	3425/8425        |    Miniscribe	3650
>Seagate	ST225 		 |    Seagate		ST251

Add to that a MicroScience HH1050 (45Meg formatted, 28ms). Works Great!
--

Terry D. West
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

cmcmanis@pepper.UUCP (11/29/87)

+
+ Right, RLL doesn't get you scratch without an RLL controller.  I'm not sure
+ what will happen with this particular drive, but either you only get the 50MB
+ or it won't work due to some incompatibility.  Might as well buy to ST251 or
+ get a SCSI version that hides the RLL or other tricks behind a wall of higher
+ level protocol.

Computer Surplus is selling the Adaptec 4070 SCSI->RLL ST506 adapter for
$129. You could then use the RLL drive with the 2090 controller as a SCSI
drive. They are in San Jose CA and their number is (408) 434-1060. They
also have an ad on pg 366 of the December BYTE. I've done business with them
before and my only complaint was that they wanted to much for some of the
S-100 gear they were selling. Note they usually sell used stuff that has bee
tested to work.

--Chuck McManis

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (12/06/87)

In article <4280@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tdwest@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry D. West)
 >In article <2870@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
 >>A recent Amiga Mail article listed the following disk drives that have been
 >>tested with the A2090 hard disk controller and associated driver software:
 >>
 >>ST506/ST412 Drives:
 >>Generic	2 head, 10 MByte |    Generic	4 head, 10 MByte
 >>Miniscribe	3425/8425        |    Miniscribe	3650
 >>Seagate	ST225 		 |    Seagate		ST251
 >>
 >Add to that a MicroScience HH1050 (45Meg formatted, 28ms). Works Great!

Add to that a Fuji FK305-26 (3.5"... fits in the second floppy bay nicely)

--
The transistor is a curiosity, and will never amount to much.
    -- Mr. Stringer, Basic Electronic Instructor, RCAF, 1962.

root@sbcs (Root) (12/08/87)

The Vertex V70 full height 5.25" drive works with the A2090, also.  Due to
the ~50 mByte limit in the filesystem, one has to divide the drive into
two volumes though.

						Rick Spanbauer
						SUNY/Stony Brook