[comp.sys.amiga] A2000->B2000 upgrade?

wayne@utflis.UUCP (12/06/87)

[Only you...]

I've got a rev4.0 A2000, and I was wondering if Commodore has any plans to
allow people like me to update to rev4.2 machines.  I've held off asking this
question for a long time because I figured that the differences between them
could not be too great, but the other day, one of my flatmates bought an A500
and WOW was the video performance better!  I took a look at the A500 schematics
and discovered that it had a FatAgnus chip where mine was slim, a Gary chip
for bus control, and an improved video slot.

So: what's the scoop, Commodore?  Should I bother hectoring Commodore Canada
for a replacement?

Thanks for your time.

(ps Please reply by email: I'm approaching exam time, and I can't be sure
      that I'll log on soon)

--
 There's nothing more you can leave behind
 So forget about seeing, get into your mind

 wYaOyUnNeG                 {utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utflis!wayne

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (12/09/87)

In article <1044@utflis.UUCP> wayne@flis.toronto.edu.UUCP (Wayne Young) writes:

>I've got a rev4.0 A2000...
>.. the other day, one of my flatmates bought an A500
>and WOW was the video performance better!

This is probably a simple ferrite bead on the video connector.  The ferrite
was of the incorrect type, and needs to be replaced/bypassed.

Have an electronics tech look at your video connector from the inside,
and replace the rounded-dark-grey-with-a-wire-through-it things that
are on R, G and B with a solid hunk of wire.

(Or just a jumper past the component, or be kosher and replace it with
the *right* ferrite, it makes very little difference,
FCC notwithstanding).

>I took a look at the A500 schematics
>and discovered that it had a FatAgnus chip where mine was slim, a Gary chip
>for bus control, and an improved video slot.

Sounds like you may have a "German" A2000.  Look at the video connector,
if it is:

One 28 pin (18 position) connector, you have a "German" Amiga 2000.
(all bets are off as to what might be wrong in this case)

Two separate connectors, you have an American Amiga 2000.

German 2000s are no longer made or sold, I thought.
The American A2000's have "Haynie/Fisher" in the lower left.

I don't know what the A2000 uses in the way of modified 8520s, or
if indeed there are multiple versions.  (output drive, sorely
needed input protection, etc.)

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(