[comp.sys.amiga] WordPerfect printing defect?

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (11/19/87)

I recently got a copy of WordPerfect, which exhibits an interesting
defect while printing.  Has anyone else come across this?  If you
have WP and can try it easily, I'd like your feedback (like, is it
printer/printer driver dependent?)

When I print something like

     This is _a test.

(where there is a single letter underlined, in case the underline
doesn't show up on your monitor [its under the "a"]), the line
prints, the print head backs up to the "a" and underlines it, and
continues underlining -- and underlining -- and underlining -- and
-- but you get the picture.  This is with a Centronics-port-driven
Dynax DX-15, standard WP driver for it, using standard Font 1.
Underlining two or more adjacent characters seems to work fine.

Tom Bruhns
uucp:  !hplabs!hplsla!tomb

rick@oresoft.UUCP (Rick Lahrson) (12/02/87)

In article <5160004@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>When I print something like
>
>     This is _a test.
>
>(where there is a single letter underlined, in case the underline
>doesn't show up on your monitor [its under the "a"]), the line
>prints, the print head backs up to the "a" and underlines it, and
>continues underlining -- and underlining -- and underlining -- and
>-- but you get the picture.  This is with a Centronics-port-driven
>Dynax DX-15, standard WP driver for it, using standard Font 1.
>Underlining two or more adjacent characters seems to work fine.
>
>Tom Bruhns
>uucp:  !hplabs!hplsla!tomb

The same sentence works fine with my Epson LQ-800.  On the other hand,
when I tell WP to use an underlining mode that should underline the
spaces between words, it doesn't.  According to my printer manual, it
has the capability, but WP apparently doesn't use it.  Hmmm.  It may be
because I'm using a proportional font with full justification, and WP
is doing microspacing between words.  Let's see.  Yup, that's it.  With
a non-proportional font, it works as expected.  The restriction is
understandable, though undocumented as far as I know.

For those who don't yet appreciate the power of multitasking, take a
look at what I just had to do to make that test in mid-sentence!
Then rush right out and buy an Amiga.

--

Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick

Disclaimer:  If I ever speak for anyone but me, I'll warn you in advance.

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (12/10/87)

> The same sentence works fine with my Epson LQ-800.  On the other hand,
> when I tell WP to use an underlining mode that should underline the
> spaces between words, it doesn't.  According to my printer manual, it
> has the capability, but WP apparently doesn't use it.  Hmmm.  It may be
> because I'm using a proportional font with full justification, and WP
> is doing microspacing between words.  Let's see.  Yup, that's it.  With
> a non-proportional font, it works as expected.  The restriction is
> understandable, though undocumented as far as I know.

> Rick Lahrson  ...tektronix!oresoft!rick

I called WP on this.  Their support is great (assuming they follow
through as promised).  They say it is specific to daisywheel printers,
they are working on it (read between the lines:  it's in the queue),
and they will send me a fix at no charge when it's available.

I'm anxious to try Rick's test with the DX-15 with a proportional wheel.
I could do it with just the regular wheel set to proportional font, I
guess, but half the fun will be buying the new printwheel.  Underlining
for me works fine including the between-words stuff, microspaced, full
justification, normal-spacing font.

Tom Bruhns
uucp:  !hplabs!hplsla!tomb