[comp.sys.amiga] Unix Windows for Amiga

mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu (<MC>) (12/05/87)

I just got a copy of UW for the Amiga, and I have three questions
about it:

	1> Are docs available for it? I have only an executable.

	2> Is source available for it?

	3> What terminal is it emulating? It definitely is NOT an
	  ansi terminal in its windows.

	<MC>
--
Mark C. Carroll                   | a man in black on a snow white horse.
Rutgers University CS Student     | a pointless life has run its course.

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (12/06/87)

In article <16843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, Mike Carrol ask some questions about Unix
Windows, or UW.  This is the second time I've seen this software mentioned on
the net.  Can anybody tell me what it is?  I use Unix quite frequently via
dialup from my Amiga, and this UW sounds intriguing.

Be seing you...
--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu   ...ihnp4!mit-eddie!mit-athena!langz
"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the only misfortune is to do it
 solemnly"   --Michel de Montaigne

modcomp@novavax.UUCP (Modcomp UUCP Admin) (12/06/87)

Unix Windows can be found on Fred Fish disk #79. What system does UW
require and does it require special drivers?

bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (12/06/87)

In article <1969@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) writes:
=-In article <16843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, Mike Carrol ask some questions about Unix
=-Windows, or UW.  This is the second time I've seen this software mentioned on
=-the net.  Can anybody tell me what it is?  I use Unix quite frequently via
=-dialup from my Amiga, and this UW sounds intriguing.
=-
	UW (Unix Windows) is a port of a terminal emulator originally written
for the Macintosh that allows up to seven simultaneous sessions, each in its own
window.  It requires the uw server on the host UNIX system.  The Amiga port only
supports ANSI terminal emulation, and no file transfer or other fancy stuff.
	The sources and the binary are ftpable from j.cc.purdue.edu.  Someone
posted a termcap quite a while ago that almost works.  I fixed one little bug in
it, but vi is still capable of freaking it out.  Anyone have a better one?  I've
been meaning to look through the source and interpolate a proper termcap that
way, but ya know...
	What this world really needs is for someone to add the uw protocol to
VT100v2.7, and extend the script language to support more sophisticated
pattern matching and flow control.  Who, ME!?  Hey, I'm supposed to be doing
RESEARCH. 8-}
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|___{ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-sally!mothra.cs.utexas.edu!bryan
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (12/07/87)

In article <1969@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) writes:
>In article <16843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, Mike Carrol ask some questions about Unix
>Windows, or UW.  This is the second time I've seen this software mentioned on
>the net.  Can anybody tell me what it is?  I use Unix quite frequently via
>dialup from my Amiga, and this UW sounds intriguing.
   first off, uw is real nice. You can have up to seven amiga windows
all talking to their own process on a host machine. The seven is a
very hard limit as the protocol encodes a channel number in three bits, and
channel zero is a control channel. This program was originally done
on a  MAC. Most MAC users i know do not use it much, since they do not
like to turn their whole machine over to terminal emulation. Of course
that is not a problem on the Amiga. The source can be had via ftp
from asc.purdue.edu for the Amiga end. I got the Unix end from somewhere
at stanford (su-score comes to mind) via anonymous ftp.
If you have trouble with these let me now and i will put uw in
louie.udel.edu's ftp directory.
   Anyway, uw is nice, i use it. My local unix-side version has been hacked to
directly support an Amiga termcap entry rather than the strange 'ansi'
one that comes standard.
ron
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

george@fubar.cis.ohio-state.edu (George Jones) (12/08/87)

In article <9821@ut-sally.UUCP> bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu writes:

>UW (Unix Windows) is a port of a terminal emulator originally written for
> the Macintosh that allows up to seven simultaneous sessions, each in its own
>window.
>	The sources and the binary are ftpable from j.cc.purdue.edu.

What is it called.  I could not find it in the news/.../amiga
directories ?

Cheers,

-=-
| George M. Jones			       	 george@ohio-state.arpa |
| Computer & Information Science Department	george@ohio-state.csnet |
| The Ohio State University		       ...cbosgd!osu-cis!george |
| Columbus, Ohio 43210				    (work) 614-292-7325 |
|									|
| Any opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect	|
| the position of the Ohio State University.				|

afb@s.cc.purdue.edu (Matthew Bradburn) (12/10/87)

In article <2968@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> george@fubar.cis.ohio-state.edu (George Jones) asks where he can find uw (Unix(tm)-Windows) on j.cc.purdue.edu.

Try:
		news/comp/binaries/amiga/volume1/uw.uu.Z

Matthew Bradburn
(a) comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga moderator
ARPA:	afb@j.cc.purdue.edu
UUCP:	j.cc.purdue.edu!afb
BITNET:	bradburn@purccvm