[comp.sys.amiga] Which C Environment, Also Memory

wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) (12/10/87)

[]

What is the preferred C development environment on the Amiga 1000?

We have Lattice C, whatever version would have been sold about 1.5-2 years
ago. The system is an Amiga 1000 with the 256K memory expansion (Total
512 RAM) and 1 external floppy.

The edit compile link run bomb edit cycle seems unbearably slow with this
setup.  Using ramdisks, caching, compiling in one session and letting that
run in "background" while editing...none of this seems to help. It takes on
the order of 7-10 minutes to create "hello world".

What environment (compiler, editor, etc. do you use? And how do you have
it configured? Is there anything like the LightspeedC environment on the
(pardon me) Macintosh?

Also, how much of a constraint is the 512K of RAM? Does 1 meg dramatically
increase performance? How about a hard disk? Are they worth it?
Of course they are, you say. But I mean does a ~$1000 hard disk, as
compared to  ~$250 for a PC or $500 for a Mac hard disk,  make the
described configuration _perform_ that much better for program development?

We are looking for significant improvement over the configuration described
at hopefully a reasonable cost...

Please please reply by mail if at all possible...If anyone wants to see a
summary posted I will do so.

Thank you.

Wade Blomgren
UCSD
wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (12/10/87)

In article <479@sdacs.ucsd.EDU> wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) writes:

>What is the preferred C development environment on the Amiga 1000?

It is a fight between Lattice and Manx.  Call up both companies, the company
has the most recent release date is probably selling the better compiler
1/2 :-).

>We have Lattice C, whatever version would have been sold about 1.5-2 years
>ago.

Upgrade!  The new versions of Lattice are *much* better.  If your old
compiler is V3.03 the cost of Lattice 4.0 is $75.  If you have V3.10
then the cost is $45.
Some people have the version of Lattice that came with the Commodore-Amiga
developer's kit.  This is V3.02 or 3.03, and will cost $75 to upgrade.
In this case you need to send in the original disk to:

	Lattice Upgrade Service
	PO Box 3148
	Glen Ellyn, Il  60138

	(1-800-533-3577)

>What environment (compiler, editor, etc. do you use? And how do you have
>it configured? Is there anything like the LightspeedC environment on the
>(pardon me) Macintosh?

Lightspeed would be most welcome.  For now we need to live with VD0:
(the recoverable ram disk) and put everyting that will be used into
it.  *No* floppy access in the compile cycles.  Pre-compiled include
files and pre-linking help a lot on top of that.

>Also, how much of a constraint is the 512K of RAM? Does 1 meg dramatically
>increase performance?

Yes!!  Get a 2 or more megabyte expander for the A1000, you will not regret
it.  (The Allegra is a good, problem-free unit.  The Starboard II is also
popular)

>How about a hard disk? Are they worth it?

You need the memory *first*.  Since all of your files will be in RAM: or
VD0: anyway, the harddisk is not going to shorten the loop any.  It is
*nice*, however.  If you do go for a hard disk, think 40 meg at least.

A lot of people are using Mac hard disks on the Amiga (with SCSI).

>wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(