[comp.sys.amiga] Why Wedge?

kruger@whyvax.dec.com (Endorsed by 1-eyed mutants for nuclear power) (12/11/87)

Why on earth should anyone buy a Wedge for $849 when Abel computer (and many
other mail order places, I'm sure) sell the Supradrive for $723.00?

The Supradrive is SCSI, which is nice, and the drive is faster (40ms) for the
20M package. I believe the 40M drive is $913 (again, Abel's price). So how is
the Wedge such a bargain? It is a hack, and a clever one, but it can't compete.

dov

[If my opinions aren't mine, who the hell owns them?]

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (12/11/87)

In article <8712110024.AA00928@decwrl.dec.com> kruger@whyvax.dec.com (Endorsed
by 1-eyed mutants for nuclear power) writes:

>Why on earth should anyone buy a Wedge for $849 when Abel computer (and many
>other mail order places, I'm sure) sell the Supradrive for $723.00?
>
>dov

I don't have anything in common with the people who make the Wedge except that
I can read :-).  I quote from their recent article (which I can only assume was
what prompted your respose, since your header contained no references):

>Prices are in Canadian Dollars
               ^^^^^^^^
>195.00 Canadian = approx. 146.25 US Dollars.
>Please check with your local bank for the current exchange rate.

At that exchange rate, the $849 CDN configuration you described is
approximately $636.25 US.

Hey Wedge-makers: this happened the first time you posted prices, too.  I
recommend making it VERY plain next time.  Like, maybe put the entire word
"Canadian" after every dollar amount.  Sorry for all the trouble; I guess we
yanks'll never forgive you for stealing the name of the greenback! :-)
--

Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu    ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz