[comp.sys.amiga] world of commodore show

RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET (Rick Pim, The Bill The Cat Memorial Comput...) (12/09/87)

Notes from the World of Commodore.

   I drove down to Toronto for the annual World of Commodore show
last weekend. A few nice things were in evidence: last year you
pretty much had to look to find Amiga stuff amongst the piles of
C64 stuff; this year it was more or less the opposite. Nice.

   On the other hand, the main reason I went was to pick up some
expansion ram for an A1000. There was only ONE card - a Spirit (I
think) internal expansion. Phooey. Expansion for 500's and 2000's
was in evidence, but not the 1000. And I was hoping for SOME sort
of show special - there were at least three products there last
year; I hoped for better this year. (Can you say 'orphan'?)

   Mandala was @i(very) impressive.

   Finally got to see Maxine Headroom...

   One product of interest: From Hypertek/Silicon Springs, a
deinterlacer for a monochrome monitor. Plugs into the RGB output,
it was producing absolutely gorgeous flicker-free gray scale output
onto an almost-stock Commodore 1901 (?) mono monitor. Seemed to work
with morerows, too, but I didn't get a chance to play. They said that
the necessary alterations to the monitor were simple and easy.
Total price (I don't know list, just show prices) of the box +
monitor + alterations (they'd do it there) was $225 CDN. Has
anyone heard anything (bad or good) about this little item? I'm
contemplating trying to find the cash for an A1000 tradein and
this would be a nice combo to plug into it. If....

   Thats about it. Not particularly exciting, all things
considered. And this is/was supposed to be the biggest computer
show in Canada. Sigh. The frozen north does have its problems.
Think I'll stay in bed                       Rick Pim, Physics Department
Dream all day                                Queen's University, Kingston
World outside bugs me anyway.                rick@qucdnast.bitnet

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (12/12/87)

RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET (Rick Pim, The Bill The Cat Memorial Comput...) writes:
>   One product of interest: From Hypertek/Silicon Springs, a
>deinterlacer for a monochrome monitor. Plugs into the RGB output,
>it was producing absolutely gorgeous flicker-free gray scale output
>onto an almost-stock Commodore 1901 (?) mono monitor.

This is NOT a deinterlacer.  It sounds like an RGB to composite converter,
with a slightly modified 1901 (to get it to display interlaced screens
correctly).  If you have a monochrome monitor with a long-persistance
phosphor, and an Amiga with composite output, you already have all the
"de-interlacer" you'll ever need.  It's the persistance that's eliminating
the flicker, not the interface.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate