[comp.sys.amiga] How many terminals?

870646c@aucs.UUCP (12/07/87)

I have a question for the Amiga people, if one was to run unix or a look alike
on the Amiga, how many terminals would you be able to run off it(or is there
a limit) before performance is lowered to the point of no return. I know
of course that this depends on what you are doing, and if you are using a hard
disk or not(what an evil thought, using unix from a floppy disk).
This is just a general question, but I am sure that I am not the only one
asking it.
later
barry

:I have a question for the Amiga people, if one was to run unix or a look alike
:on the Amiga, how many terminals would you be able to run off it(or is there
:a limit) before performance is lowered to the point of no return. I know
:of course that this depends on what you are doing, and if you are using a hard
:disk or not(what an evil thought, using unix from a floppy disk).
:This is just a general question, but I am sure that I am not the only one
:asking it.

	As far as UNIX is concerned, the major problem is (a) memory and (b)
IO bandwidth.  (a) memory isn't too much of a problem... say use an Amiga
with 8Megs and a 68020 (and a MMU of course).   This leaves IO bandwidth.

	To be at all usefull, you would want two harddrives and separate
DMA channels for each.  Use one harddrive for swap (make it a 40Meg HD).
The more (or larger) HD's the merrier!

	That would be roughly equivalent to, say, a VAX 750 in terms of
performance.

				-Matt

In article <636@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
>I have a question for the Amiga people, if one was to run unix or a look alike
>on the Amiga, how many terminals would you be able to run off it(or is there
>a limit) before performance is lowered to the point of no return. I know
>of course that this depends on what you are doing, and if you are using a hard
>disk or not(what an evil thought, using unix from a floppy disk).
>This is just a general question, but I am sure that I am not the only one
>asking it.

/* Smart ass answer */

1 more that your precious Mega ST thing, Barry.

/* real answer */

Well, lessee, how you gonna hook up these terminals ? On a 1000 you only have
1 serial port, so thats right out.

On a 2000 you could plug in AT smart 8 port serial cards and connect
them to terminals.

But now who is to say what the "point of no return" is ? The 286 Xenix
box that is gryphon.cts.com has four lines going into it and sometimes
bogs down to 15-20 seconds response time. Other times it is quite zippy.

Probably a rough answer would be to start opening a bunch of windows,
and start something like

10: dir
20: goto 10

in each window, and decide for yourself at what point performence
degrades to the point where YOU think it is intolerable.

Of course, a 2000 with a 68020, 8 megs, and a 35 ms. hard disk with
2 eight port cards is probably not unreasonable.

As long as you dont expect your concurrent ray-trace to finish quickly...

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

roch@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (12/13/87)

/* Written 10:01 pm  Dec  9, 1987 by richard@gryphon.CTS.COM in uiucdcsb:comp.sys.amiga */
/* ---------- "Re: How many terminals?" ---------- */
In article <636@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
>I have a question for the Amiga people, if one was to run unix or a look alike
>on the Amiga, how many terminals would you be able to run off it(or is there
>a limit) before performance is lowered to the point of no return. I know
>of course that this depends on what you are doing, and if you are using a hard
>disk or not(what an evil thought, using unix from a floppy disk).
>This is just a general question, but I am sure that I am not the only one
>asking it.

/* Smart ass answer */

1 more that your precious Mega ST thing, Barry.

/* real answer */

Well, lessee, how you gonna hook up these terminals ? On a 1000 you only have
1 serial port, so thats right out.

On a 2000 you could plug in AT smart 8 port serial cards and connect
them to terminals.

But now who is to say what the "point of no return" is ? The 286 Xenix
box that is gryphon.cts.com has four lines going into it and sometimes
bogs down to 15-20 seconds response time. Other times it is quite zippy.

Probably a rough answer would be to start opening a bunch of windows,
and start something like

10: dir
20: goto 10

in each window, and decide for yourself at what point performence
degrades to the point where YOU think it is intolerable.

Of course, a 2000 with a 68020, 8 megs, and a 35 ms. hard disk with
2 eight port cards is probably not unreasonable.

As long as you dont expect your concurrent ray-trace to finish quickly...

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
UUCP:         {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, ihnp4, nosc}!crash!gryphon!richard

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."
/* End of text from uiucdcsb:comp.sys.amiga */