[comp.sys.amiga] Minix and the Amiga2000

ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) (12/10/87)

	Next semester I would like to get involved in porting a unix
compatable operating system to my 2000. (MINIX, written by Tannenbaum)
However, I'm not sure if it can be done since Kickstart is in ROM, and
the computer wants a Workbench disk upon powerup.  Is there a way to kick
the operating system out from control of the machine and install mine?
How?  Please help!

						Alexander Hinds
USENET: ahinds@hvrunix
BITNET: A_HINDS@HVRFORD

liu1@puff.wisc.edu (Clif Liu) (12/11/87)

In article <387@hvrunix.UUCP>, ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) writes:

> 	Next semester I would like to get involved in porting a unix
> compatable operating system to my 2000. (MINIX, written by Tannenbaum)
>
> 						Alexander Hinds

  I have been looking for a UNIX/UNIX-lookalike system for the A1000.
What will MINIX be like?  Will it have all of the programming tools?
Please lead me toward any information about this operating system by
EMAIL.

  Thanks in advance.

      -- CLiu

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (12/11/87)

In article <387@hvrunix.UUCP> ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) writes:

>	Next semester I would like to get involved in porting a unix
>compatable operating system to my 2000. (MINIX, written by Tannenbaum)
>However, I'm not sure if it can be done since Kickstart is in ROM, and
>the computer wants a Workbench disk upon powerup.  Is there a way to kick
>the operating system out from control of the machine and install mine?
>How?  Please help!
>
>						Alexander Hinds

  Seems there were quite a few messages about Amiga-Minix port not that long
 ago (either here or comp.sys.minix). So if you can - I don't know how many
 back messages your system holds - scan back and re-read them. If I remember
 right, the problem with portin Minix was how to do a FORK on the Amiga.

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (12/13/87)

In article <387@hvrunix.UUCP> ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) writes:

>	Next semester I would like to get involved in porting a unix
>compatable operating system to my 2000. (MINIX, written by Tannenbaum)
>However, I'm not sure if it can be done since Kickstart is in ROM, and
>the computer wants a Workbench disk upon powerup.  Is there a way to kick
>the operating system out from control of the machine and install mine?
>How?  Please help!

No problem!  There are lots of good ways of doing this.  If you are
runing a floppy based system you could use a custom boot block.  This
will let you get code running *AFTER* extra memory is configured, but
before the OS really mucks things up.

If you want a hardware solution, you can get control by using the
"ROM Diagnostic cartridge vector".  You'll get run before anything
significant happens.  (It also means autoconfiguration of RAM will
not have happended).

Hard disk systems can also be hijacked.

For an example of the boot-block method, see Fish disk #87.

Or you can just take the system after it is up.  Switch to
supervisor mode with the supplied exec calls, and steal the system.
You might even be able to attach to the Amiga's devices for your
disk interface needs.  This requires some more knowlege of Amiga
internals, such as how to figure out where your physical memory
might be (It could be anywhere).

Lots of possibilities.

>BITNET: A_HINDS@HVRFORD
|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(