[comp.sys.amiga] Shell 2.07m bug

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (12/09/87)

I found an interesting bug in the shell version 2.07m.

if you type a long line (over 80 characters) with no spaces the machine will
guru every time.  Is some variable defined only to a certain length, and is
not checked if the input line is too long?

I found this by typing a long line of c's (cccccccccccccc...)
Sometimes I am reading a manual and part of the manual is on the keyboard and
repeats a character for a while, so this could happen by accident (it has.)

--
Walter Reed              UUCP  : uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed
                      Internet : ncreed%NDSUVAX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

drew@cgofs.dec.com (Steve Drew) (12/12/87)

-> I found an interesting bug in the shell version 2.07m.
->
-> if you type a long line (over 80 characters) with no spaces the machine will
-> guru every time.  Is some variable defined only to a certain length, and is
-> not checked if the input line is too long?
->
-> I found this by typing a long line of c's (cccccccccccccc...)
-> Sometimes I am reading a manual and part of the manual is on the keyboard and
-> repeats a character for a while, so this could happen by accident (it has.)

There is no such bug in 2.07M, I'm sure of it. I have been very careful
to check the size of the command after finding out from a previous version
that manx fexec code only allows us 40 chars for a command name. If you
type a command over about 110 chars without any spaces you will get an error
message "Error in command name" (same as normal CLI).

Are you running CONMAN ? (it would have to handle the command line first).

Are you sure you are running an original version of Shell 2.07M ?
(its possible that a bug like this did exist in older versions of shell)

Steve Drew.

Steve Drew writes:

>There is no such bug in 2.07M, I'm sure of it. I have been very careful
>to check the size of the command after finding out from a previous version
>that manx fexec code only allows us 40 chars for a command name. If you
>type a command over about 110 chars without any spaces you will get an error
>message "Error in command name" (same as normal CLI).
>
>Are you running CONMAN ? (it would have to handle the command line first).
>
>Are you sure you are running an original version of Shell 2.07M ?
>(its possible that a bug like this did exist in older versions of shell)

Bug confirmed in V2.05M...

Funny how I never noticed this after using it for so long, but then
I whenever I rest a book on the keyboard and get three lines of junk,
or the kid braps on the keyboard, I always get a kick out of how fast the
text is erased when I ctrl-X. I hit return this time and....

Holy Bagwan Rajneesh, Batman, it's Mr. Guru.

Guess it's time time to update.