[comp.sys.amiga] digi-view for the 2000

bad@ihwpt.ATT.COM (bill dwyer) (12/09/87)

I recently obtained an Amiga 2000 and one of the first items I bought for it was Digi
View. However, when I got it the other night it said to just connect Digi-View to
the parallel port which is a female connector just as Digi-View's. I had a male to
male cable laying around and so I tried it, but I kept getting a Video source not
present error. I'm sure that someone out there in netland must have gotten
Digi-View to work on the 2000 so could you please help me. Is something other than
a male-to-male connector needed? Is it possible that the length of the cord was
long enough that Digi-View couldn't handle it? Or are there other changes to be
made or is a new version of Digi-View out. I may have missed this topic since
I had not been a regular reader, but if someone could please email me the solution
I would be very appreciative. Please email also cause our net feed seems to be
somewhat flaky at the moment. Thanks for any help.

       Bill Dwyer
     ihnp4!ihwpt!bad
 AT&T Bell Laboratories
      (312)979-6705

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (12/10/87)

In article <2158@ihwpt.ATT.COM> bad@ihwpt.ATT.COM (bill dwyer) writes:

> I recently obtained an Amiga 2000 and one of the first items I bought for it was Digi
> View. However, when I got it the other night it said to just connect Digi-View to
> the parallel port which is a female connector just as Digi-View's. I had a male to
> male cable laying around and so I tried it, but I kept getting a Video source not
> present error. I'm sure that someone out there in netland must have gotten
> Digi-View to work on the 2000 so could you please help me. Is something other than
> a male-to-male connector needed? Is it possible that the length of the cord was
> long enough that Digi-View couldn't handle it? Or are there other changes to be
> made or is a new version of Digi-View out. I may have missed this topic since
> I had not been a regular reader, but if someone could please email me the solution
> I would be very appreciative. Please email also cause our net feed seems to be
> somewhat flaky at the moment. Thanks for any help.
>
>        Bill Dwyer
>      ihnp4!ihwpt!bad
>  AT&T Bell Laboratories
>       (312)979-6705

 Contact NewTek at 913-354-1146 for information on an adapter for the A2000...
 I've been using one here for several weeks and it works fine.

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
                             UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling
  // /_ |\/||/_ /_           PHONE 215-431-9275
\X/ /  \|  ||\//  \          ` CALM DOWN ! It's only 1's and 0's ! '

chasgren@pnet02.cts.com (Charlie Greene) (12/10/87)

You need a special gender changer that also adjusts the signal out of the 2000
so the DigiView will work. You should be able to buy it at the store where you
bought DIgi-View.
   Charlie

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!chasgren
INET: chasgren@pnet02.cts.com

bobb@tekfdi.TEK.COM (Robert Bales) (12/15/87)

In article <2158@ihwpt.ATT.COM> bad@ihwpt.ATT.COM (bill dwyer) writes:

>I'm sure that someone out there in netland must have gotten Digi-View to work
>on the 2000 so could you please help me.

To make the 2000's parallel port look like the 1000's, in the cable, pin 14
must be interchanged with pin 23 and pin 16 with pin 25:

 14 ----------------------------------------- 23
 23 ----------------------------------------- 14

All other pins go straight across. The only other problem I had was that I
had to adjust the "Width" gadget in one of Digi-View's requesters to get a
full-width digitized picture. I suspect that this is because the series
resistor in the 2000's parallel port +5 supply changes the supply
voltage and operating characteristics of Digi-View.

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

I help Tektronix make their instruments. They don't help me make my opinions.