[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 2.7 questions???

barsh@stsci.EDU (John Barshinger) (12/09/87)

I have just received a copy of VT100 Version 2.7.  The only
differences that I have found from version 2.6 is:
	1. BS<->DEL Swap bug fixed
	2. Requesters for kermit xfers, etc now have
	   there own windows created in which status data
	   is displayed.

Question:

	Is there other significant changes that have been made???

	The reason I'm asking is that I have just spent many late
	nites incorporating the following features in version 2.6:

		VT100 Version 2.6/jrbii Enhancements
		------------------------------------

1.  SWAP bug fixed.

2.  Full 132 column support (overscan used, therefore you must have
	version 1.2 of the AmigaDOS operating system.)

3.  Added menu features:
	a) all menu items now have a command sequence (Right Amiga something)
	   to execute them.
	b) menu items have been added for the following:
		SCREEN TO BACK - pulls the workbench screen in front of
		the VT100 screen (click on the workbench screen depth
		gadget to return to VT100).  RAMIGA J will execute this
		command and JUMP you to the workbench screen.

		SCREEN WIDTH - selects 80 column mode or 132 column mode.
		RAMIGA 8 will select the 80 column mode and RAMIGA 1 will
		select the 132 column mode, if you don't like using the
		mouse.

		HOLD SCREEN - send ^S and ^Q alternatively to the host to
		signify HOLD SCREEN ON (XOFF) and HOLD SCREEN OFF (XON).
		You can use ^S HS on and ^Q HS off or RAMIGA / to toggle
		HS on and off.

		QUIT VT100! - will cause VT100 to terminate. RAMIGA Q
		will also activate this function.

4.  HOLD SCREEN and CAPS LOCK is now signaled on the top line of the
    screen so that it is easy to tell the state of those conditions.
    CAPS LOCK is only really useful for those to lazy to look at the
    keyboard like me.  (These were the only useful LED's on the VT220
    keyboard).

Other Changes:

Note: I have tried to keep everything (command sequences, menus, script
files, etc. compatible with version 2.6 VT100 so that upgrading??? to
this version will be as painless as possible...

1.  Screen Appearance - this has been changed in the following ways:
	a) The title bar is no longer in existence (I didn't like the
	clipping).  The two important things, the closewindow gadget and
	the window depth adjustment have been replace by the "QUIT VT100"
	(RAMIGA Q) and "SCREEN TO BACK" (RAMIGA J) menu items, respectively.
	The depth adjustment was rather cumbersome anyway, since you had to
	pull the window down to get to the screen depth gadget before you
	could do anything.

2.  The SCREEN field is no longer used by VT100, a custom screen is
    ALWAYS opened since we need overscan to implement full 132 column
    mode.  This field is still allowed in the init file to maintain
    compatibility with earlier versions.

	So is it worthwhile to add my features to 2.7 or 2.7's features
	to mine, or not.

	I'll also be adding Windowed Xmodem in the near future as
	soon as this issue is resolved since duplicating work is
	not one of my favorite things to do...

					jrbii
					~~~~~

p.s. If anyone is interested in my version, just let me know...

--
	        John Barshinger
		Space Telescope Science Institute

acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (12/10/87)

In article <135@obi-wan> barsh@stsci.EDU (John Barshinger) writes about
the features that he added to R2.6.  I have already sent him e-mail
detailing what I plan to do in 2.8 (including overscan support,
beep-at-end-of-xfer, ZMODEM support, kermit long-packet support, FONT
selection from init file and some bug fixes).  2.8 should be available
around the end of this year.  Please don't inundate the net with pros or
cons about John's posting.  If you want new features or have a bug or
two that you'd like to see fixed, *please* send me e-mail.  If you are
unhappy with VT100 and don't like my support please don't release a new
version of VT100...just use your code to produce a new program and call
it something different from VT100.

I'm not trying to be a fascist about this.  I'm trying to produce a
usable, flexible, small (<75K) PD terminal program that evolves based on
the wants and needs of its users.  To do this I feel that it *must* be
maintained by one individual.  If you feel that I'm doing a poor job
just let me know and I'll stand down (note that I believe that John just
didn't receive a copy of the readme and/or doc files with his copy of
VT100, not that he's complaining about its support).
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

barsh@stsci.EDU (John Barshinger) (12/10/87)

in article <19382@amdahl.amdahl.com>, acs@amdahl.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) says:

> I'm not trying to be a fascist about this.  I'm trying to produce a
> usable, flexible, small (<75K) PD terminal program that evolves based on
> the wants and needs of its users.  To do this I feel that it *must* be
> maintained by one individual.  If you feel that I'm doing a poor job
> just let me know and I'll stand down (note that I believe that John just
> didn't receive a copy of the readme and/or doc files with his copy of
> VT100, not that he's complaining about its support).
> --
> Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

I can understand Tony's feelings on this subject.  I was NOT trying to
state that he is doing a poor job.  What I was trying to do was find
out what changes were made to 2.7 that I had not noticed so that I could
make those changes to my version if I thought they would be useful to me.

I have changed the name of my version to VT100 2.6/jrbii.x, where
VT100 2.6 states that this is what I started with, jrbii means this is
my version, and .x is the version number of my mods.  The reason I
"hacked up" this code was for my own personal use, but I figured that
others may be interested in some of the features that I incorporated
that is why I posted the message stating it was available if people
wanted it.  I suppose that trying to make things that I feel are useful
to others is not in the AMIGA spirit???

LONG LIVE AMIGA!!!

		keep up the good work Dave Wecker and Tony Sumrall

p.s. I didn't get your mail message, Tony

--

rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) (12/11/87)

In article <135@obi-wan>, barsh@stsci.EDU (John Barshinger) writes:

> 	The reason I'm asking is that I have just spent many late
> 	nites incorporating the following features in version 2.6:
>
> 		VT100 Version 2.6/jrbii Enhancements
> 		------------------------------------
> 3.  Added menu features:
> 	b) menu items have been added for the following:
> 		SCREEN TO BACK - pulls the workbench screen in front of
> 		the VT100 screen (click on the workbench screen depth
> 		gadget to return to VT100).  RAMIGA J will execute this
> 		command and JUMP you to the workbench screen.
>
> --
> 	        John Barshinger
> 		Space Telescope Science Institute
> 		Baltimore, MD 21218
> 		plink:jrbii | bix:jrbii | barsh@stsci.edu

The unenhanced versions could do this already.  Using the LAMIGA M and the
LAMIGA N keys, you can switch between the workbench screen and the vt100
screen.  You have to push the left mouse button, or LAMIGA ALT to be able to
input into the visible screen after switching screens.

Rich Champeaux
Clemson University

(sorry about the blank lines, I couldn't post this without them, something
about including more text than I entered)

barsh@stsci.EDU (John Barshinger) (12/11/87)

in article <796@hubcap.UUCP>, rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) says:
 		------------------------------------
<< 3.  Added menu features:
<< 	b) menu items have been added for the following:
<< 		SCREEN TO BACK - pulls the workbench screen in front of
<< 		the VT100 screen (click on the workbench screen depth
<< 		gadget to return to VT100).  RAMIGA J will execute this
<< 		command and JUMP you to the workbench screen.
<<

< The unenhanced versions could do this already.  Using the LAMIGA M and the
< LAMIGA N keys, you can switch between the workbench screen and the vt100
< screen.  You have to push the left mouse button, or LAMIGA ALT to be able to
< input into the visible screen after switching screens.
<
< Rich Champeaux
< Clemson University

Thanx for the info, I never claimed to know it all.  Since I didn't
know this, I thought that removing the screen depth gadgets would cause
a feature to be lost.  This does keep this option available for those
who are inclined to change screens with the mouse.  Again thanx, it's
a good thing to know...

					jrbii
					~~~~~

--

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (12/15/87)

In article <138@obi-wan> barsh@stsci.EDU (John Barshinger) writes:
>in article <796@hubcap.UUCP>, rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) says:
> 		------------------------------------
><< 		SCREEN TO BACK - pulls the workbench screen in front of
>
>< The unenhanced versions could do this already.  Using the LAMIGA M and the
>< LAMIGA N keys, you can switch between the workbench screen and the vt100
>
>Thanx for the info, I never claimed to know it all.  Since I didn't
>know this, I thought that removing the screen depth gadgets would cause
>a feature to be lost.  This does keep this option available for those

Wait just a cotton picking minute!  I don't want anyone getting out of
here expecting the user to use the Amiga-M and the Amiga-N keys to send
their screen to the back.  There is only one way to do it, and that is to
have depth-arrangement gadgets, if you can't handle that than I might
allow you to get away with a menu item that calls ScreenToBack(), but
don't you dare rely on WorkBenchToFront(), Don't you Dare.

Where does that leave Joe User??  Well, he runs my program with its
nice Depth Arrangement Gadgets (here after referred to as DAGs)(years from
now, remember *I* coined that phrase), anyway, he (ok, maybe it's a she,
but generally it's a he, ofcourse I would be alot happier if it was a she),
ok, let me start again:

Where does that leave Joe User?  I'll tell you, she runs my program,
sends it behind WorkBench with the DAGs that I provided, then she runs
your program, and then uses the Amiga-N to bring the WorkBench to the
front.  Now she want to get to my program.  Well, ummm... How 'bout hitting
the WorkBench DAG, and send that to back.  Well, that reveals your program,
so she hits Amiga-N to get WB back, and then Amiga-M to send it to the back,
and there is your stupid program completely covering mine!!!!

Alright, so you can't deal with having a TitleBar, but you don't want
a dorky program?  I tell you what to do, put in "Toggle Title Bar" as a
menu item.  There is that title bar, but when the user needs back his
top row, toggle it off.  That simple, want some example code?  Let me know.
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

barsh@stsci.EDU (John Barshinger) (12/16/87)

in article <6287@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) says:
> Wait just a cotton picking minute!  I don't want anyone getting out of
> here expecting the user to use the Amiga-M and the Amiga-N keys to send
> their screen to the back.  There is only one way to do it, and that is to
> have depth-arrangement gadgets, if you can't handle that than I might
> allow you to get away with a menu item that calls ScreenToBack(), but
> don't you dare rely on WorkBenchToFront(), Don't you Dare.

some of the overabundant verbiage deleted...

> Alright, so you can't deal with having a TitleBar, but you don't want
> a dorky program?  I tell you what to do, put in "Toggle Title Bar" as a
> menu item.  There is that title bar, but when the user needs back his
> top row, toggle it off.  That simple, want some example code?  Let me know.

Good Point.  Possibly an overabundance of verbiage, nontheless, a good point.
I will be fixing this in my next version (my last version since this is
really somebody else's domain).  I'm only going to fix problems that are
found in my version and no more enhancements because I agree that only
one person should make new versions (namely T. Sumrall).

Either I will use screen_to_back() or I will make an invisable title bar
with live gadgets or both in version jrbii.1.

Hopefully this will make
my version less stupid and dorky...

					jrbii
					~~~~~