[comp.sys.amiga] Why doesn't my 2000 guru?

cosell@cosell.bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (12/07/87)

My 2000 NEVER gurus.  Both when I get the requestor "software error, finish
all disk activity" and then you get to hit either retry or cancel (I've never
been able to figure out what either option meant: on my old 1000, no matter
what you did you got the guru next).  Anyhow, on my 2000, after the "software
error", or generally if something gets wedged or dead (all prime guru territory),
my machine just clears the screen (to WB background color, I think), and
sits there with the POWER light pulsing faintly.  Nothing I do at that
point seems to have any effect EXCEPT ctrl-A-A.  The system then seems
to power-cycle.  and THEN I get the guru.  Then I click the left mouse
button and then the reboot goes and all's well.

Now, I'm no fan of the guru (it's annoying intrusion is probably the
weakest and most bothersome part of the Amiga environment for me: it is
all just not robust enough for my tastes).  BUT... I'm real curious about
why it won't pop up on its own on my 2000.

Thanks
  /Bernie\

Bernie Cosell                       Internet:  cosell@bbn.com
Bolt, Beranek & Newman, Inc         USENET:    bbn.com!cosell
Cambridge, MA   02238               Telco:     (617) 873-3503

bryce@hoser.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (12/09/87)

In article <19027@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com.UUCP (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>My 2000 NEVER gurus.

Good.  Neither does my A1000.  Oh, you mean it does not when it should,
eh? :-)

>Anyhow, on my 2000, after the "software error"...
>The system then seems
>to power-cycle.  and THEN I get the guru.  Then I click the left mouse
>button and then the reboot goes and all's well.

It is due to a bug with $C00000 ram.  Right at the start of Alert() an
ANDI.L #$FF0001 should read ANDI.L #$FF000001 **.

Andy Finkel posted a RAM patch to comp.sys.amiga (but NOT to comp.binaries
were it belonged). (somebody install the lastest sendmail at cbmvax,
ok?  And run arbitron one a month.)

I'm told it will not be fixed for Kickstart V1.21, but will be for V1.3.

** This number should actually be:
(($00C00276 OR $00000676) EOR $FFFFFFFF)
until the OS supports moving execbase/supervisor stack/etc. to
any autoconfig memory after config.
*especially* the supervisor stack!!

  [was that confused and jumbled enough for you?]

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, SOH, EOT)
{o O} . bryce@hoser.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!hoser!bryce
 (")
  U	WARNING: hoser's spool directory eats a *lot* of mail. :-(

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (12/16/87)

In article <19027@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com.UUCP (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>My 2000 NEVER gurus....my machine just clears the screen
>(to WB background color, I think), and
>sits there with the POWER light pulsing faintly.  Nothing I do at that
>point seems to have any effect EXCEPT ctrl-A-A.  The system then seems
>to power-cycle.  and THEN I get the guru.  Then I click the left mouse
>button and then the reboot goes and all's well.

Identical behavior with my B2000!  The only hardware I've added to it
is a second internal 3" drive.  But I think it did this even before
I installed the drive.  You are not alone, but I sure would like to
know why it behaves that way!

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University