[comp.sys.amiga] Itty-bitty tiny little Workbench bugs?

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (12/15/87)

I have found one or two minor bugs in Intuition.  Or are they in the
Workbench?  Oh well.  Haven't heard them mentioned yet, so I'll throw them
out at the crowd.

Maybe we can call this the "lazy icon bug":
1) select an icon so that either it is inverted or its alternate image
is showing.
2) notice that the window the icon is in is also "selected".
2) select an application's window (a CLI or a Clock).
3) notice how the icon still looks selected but the window is no longer
selected.  The Workbench or Intuition or somebody forgot to put the icon's
old image back.

Then there's the "not-so-double click bug":
Do the following in rapid succession
1) select an icon
2) select an application window (such as a CLI)
3) click the same icon you selected in 1).
4) notice how the Workbench decided to start up the application associated
with that icon, even though you technically did NOT double click on it.

It's almost like clicking on an application window is sometimes an
insignificant act.  Surely this behavior was not intended!

---
Still waiting to win the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes so I can
buy all that neat software and hardware I want for my 2000.........,

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/17/87)

In article <490@ra.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu writes:
>I have found one or two minor bugs in Intuition.  Or are they in the
>Workbench?  Oh well.  Haven't heard them mentioned yet, so I'll throw them
>out at the crowd.
>
>Maybe we can call this the "lazy icon bug":
>1) select an icon so that either it is inverted or its alternate image
>is showing.
>2) notice that the window the icon is in is also "selected".
>2) select an application's window (a CLI or a Clock).
>3) notice how the icon still looks selected but the window is no longer
>selected.  The Workbench or Intuition or somebody forgot to put the icon's
>old image back.

Actually, this is a feature.  Because the icon(s) are still selected
you can use the 'extend-select' method (hold down the shift key) and
click on the Workbench window to reactivate the window without having
to reselect your icon(s).  This can be significant when you have
selected a half a dozen icons, and have to go to the CLI for a second.

>Then there's the "not-so-double click bug":
>Do the following in rapid succession
>1) select an icon
>2) select an application window (such as a CLI)
>3) click the same icon you selected in 1).
>4) notice how the Workbench decided to start up the application associated
>with that icon, even though you technically did NOT double click on it.

Try a 'slow' double click operation.  Take about the same amount of
time as it takes to click on a CLI then back to Workbench.  I bet you'll
see the application fire up as well. Then Check your Preference setting is
for the time spacing on double clicks.  Maybe you want to cut that
time down.
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
 a rigged demo."