[comp.sys.amiga] X-Windows on the Amiga?

jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) (12/12/87)

                      X-Windows on the Amiga?

At the December Faug meeting, I heard some rumors of X-Windows support
showing up in V1.4.  There was also some talk about some network support
like Decnet.  This sounds really exciting to me.  I think if the Amiga
could be used as a good low cost X-Window server, there could be some
tremendous opportunities.  I'm also wondering if it would be possible to
run X-Windows over the serial port and still have reasonable performance.
I know that there are some X-Windows products for some OTHER PC's but I
think the Amiga with it's multitasking OS and rich windowing environment
could blow them out of the water!

I'm really interested to know more about just what level of X-Windows
support is planned.  Will it be X11?  Are there plans for network support
other than Decnet?  Anyone at CAT care to comment on this?

I love the Amiga!

Jim G

"If I had a dime for every Guru ...."

In article <4830001@hpiacla.HP.COM> jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) writes:

>                      X-Windows on the Amiga?
>
>At the December Faug meeting, I heard some rumors of X-Windows support
>showing up in V1.4.  There was also some talk about some network support
>like Decnet.  This sounds really exciting to me.

As they say in Modula-2 GetReal(); DECnet? TCP/IP over ethernet, great
but some propietary network from a 2 bit computer company? :-) :-) :-)
A window server would be nice, although don't expect to run any Intuition
programs on it. With the Ameristar e-net board and NeWS (or X or both) the
Amiga would make a damn nice terminal to your basic network.

>I know that there are some X-Windows products for some OTHER PC's but I
>think the Amiga with it's multitasking OS and rich windowing environment
>could blow them out of the water!

Just out of curiousity, how can you say in one breath, look how neat it
would be to put the same window system everyone else has onto the Amiga.
And then say it's "rich windowing environment" (which you have blown away)
would blow them out of the water.?

>I love the Amiga!

So do I, but I'll stick to worrying about 1.21 before I get into 1.4 :-) :-)

--Chuck McManis

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (12/14/87)

In article <36347@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>A[n X] window server would be nice, although don't expect to run any Intuition
>programs on it.

How about running the X server and Workbench concurrently.  There's no reason
that you could not run Workbench as a process that is not a client of the X
server.  Don't forget, X does not require that every process running on the
machine be an X client.  Just have a separate screen for Amiga X, then open a
backdrop window to serve as the root window for the X server.

On another note, it would be very easy to write a window manager that would
even make X look a lot like workbench (standard window gadgets where they
normally are, etc), so there's no reason Amiga X users would have to learn a
radically different user interface.  There's always the option of running uwm
or any of the other existing wms, but X is deliberately no "religious" about
user interface for the express purpose of supporting diverse systems.

Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu    ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz
"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the only misfortune is to do it
 solemnly"   --Michel de Montaigne

:
:Just out of curiousity, how can you say in one breath, look how neat it
:would be to put the same window system everyone else has onto the Amiga.
:And then say it's "rich windowing environment" (which you have blown away)
:would blow them out of the water.?

	It seems reasonable to me.  It is quite easy to bypass Intuition...
simply open up your own screen and intercept the input stream.  The
merits of multitasking are obvious.

						-Matt

jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) (12/17/87)

>Just out of curiousity, how can you say in one breath, look how neat it
>would be to put the same window system everyone else has onto the Amiga.
>And then say it's "rich windowing environment" (which you have blown away)
>would blow them out of the water.?

I just think that the windowing/multitasking capabilities that the Amiga
CURRENTLY has would make it easier to port X-Windows to than the other
machines.  You should be able to run an X server just like any other task
under Intuition.  My point is that I think there will be a lot of
industrial/other applications that will use X-Windows for user interfaces
and right now, you are looking at using expensive Un$x workstations as
X servers.  If you could replace those workstations with Amigas think of
the cost savings.  Now this could be a good opportunity for the Amiga to
penetrate new business markets.  I'm not saying that X-Windows is going to
help anyone who has an Amiga at home!  I can't see companies buying lots of
$20K workstations (more if industrial ruggidized) to put on factory floors,
but if they could put an Amiga there for $2-3K, it could be feasible.

Jim G.
"These are MY opinions, and have nothing to do with my employer."