[comp.sys.amiga] More rumours

U613042@HNYKUN11.BITNET (Olaf Seibert) (12/08/87)

[ line]

Our local user group has another rumour. Also, quite unlikely, but anyway:
``Commodore would be solving the interlace flicker, in software, in V1.3''.
Not true, I guess. I don't think it could be done in software, can it?

Any comments, such as official denyals, are welcome.

By the way, in Europe where we have 50 Hz monitors, the flickering should
be MUCH more annoying than in America, with 60 Hz monitors.
On the other hand, this gives us 256 line screens, but when will programs
adapt to that? Not many that easily could (about any program...), do.

---
The opinions possibly reflected herein are my own, and not necessarily
those of someone else I might be connected with. They MAY, however, be.
>>> I *thought* I was living in a free, modern country....
--- Olaf (Rhialto) Seibert...  U613042@HNYKUN11.BITNET
  USEnet is *almost* an anagram of unsent ... BITnet: Because It's There
          Computers? Just say *YES*!  Customs? Just say *NO*!

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/12/87)

I happen to know that Commodore is about to unveil a parallel (up to
24 processors) 68030-based machine at AmiExpo in LA, runs Berkeley
UNIX, System V, MINIX, OS/2 and MS-DOS, VMS, AOS/VS, PRIMOS, MAC/OS
and C-64 in windows (the windows can be Display Postscript, X, GEM,
Windows, Presentation Manager, NeWS, Apollo's DM, Sun Windows or
Intuition), has built-in 9600bps modem, Ethernet, 128MB main memory,
16 serial lines, two MIDI in/out/sync's, 4 configurable parallel
ports, 6GB ESDI disk storage, built-in optical disk (CDI-ROM) player,
floppy, mouse, keyboard, digitizer tablet, DWIM (Do What I Mean) AI
interface, 24 blitters (one per plane), 32MB CHIP mem, 4k x 4k
resolution screen, PAL/SECAM/NTSC and HDTV composite out, genlock,
frame store, digitizer, 100 watt stereo amplifier, 64-voice
synthesizer with any/all of FM/PM/Subtractive/Additive/Linear/Vector
synthesis, 128MB/s Zorro III bus (with adaptors for VMEbus, NuBus,
MicroChannel, UNIBUS, MultiBus 1 & 2, Q-BUS, Zorro I & 2 and BI-BUS).

Oh - you can also take your existing A500 or A2000 and stand it on end
in the expansion box (on its expansion slot), so it can also be used
as a co-processor.

Fits on your desk (about the size of the MAC SE, but the expansion
box and power supply must go under your desk) and costs US$1299.

I guess my first question: is anyone working on a TOS emulator?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (12/14/87)

In article <2109@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>I happen to know that Commodore is about to unveil a parallel (up to
>24 processors) 68030-based machine at AmiExpo in LA, runs Berkeley
>floppy, mouse, keyboard, digitizer tablet, DWIM (Do What I Mean) AI
					    ^^^^
Actually, it's going to have  DWIMN (Do What I Mean, NOW!!!) AI builtin.
Who wants to be stuck with a DeepThot machine (as in Douglas Adams' HHGTTG).
Otherwise, it sounds like an adequate home machine.  Still, I won't buy it
unless it has a knotch for my pen at the top of the keyboard. :-)
--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Amiga: The PC that CAN walk and chew gum at the same time.

kagle@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Jonathan C. Kagle) (12/14/87)

In article <2109@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
!I happen to know that Commodore is about to unveil a parallel (up to
!24 processors) 68030-based machine at AmiExpo in LA...
![...]
!Oh - you can also take your existing A500 or A2000 and stand it on end
!in the expansion box (on its expansion slot), so it can also be used
!as a co-processor.
!
	It's true!  Commodore is abandoning the A1000!  I think I'll trade up
to an IMSAI.  Standard slots, a decent power supply, an excellent library of
PD software, and it'll run MP/M.  No need to worry about obsolescence...

:-) :-) :-)

!..Bob
!--
!Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
!"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a
!better solution."		--Dave Haynie, Commodore-Amiga

	-Jonathan
The idle mind is the devil's workshop.  But then again, there's no rest
for the wicked.

In article <2109@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>I happen to know that Commodore is about to unveil a parallel (up to
>24 processors) 68030-based machine at AmiExpo in LA, runs Berkeley

[impressive technical spec. deleted]

>synthesis, 128MB/s Zorro III bus (with adaptors for VMEbus, NuBus,
>MicroChannel, UNIBUS, MultiBus 1 & 2, Q-BUS, Zorro I & 2 and BI-BUS).
>
>Oh - you can also take your existing A500 or A2000 and stand it on end
>in the expansion box (on its expansion slot), so it can also be used
>as a co-processor.
>
>Fits on your desk (about the size of the MAC SE, but the expansion
>box and power supply must go under your desk) and costs US$1299.
>
>I guess my first question: is anyone working on a TOS emulator?

Bugger that, does it run CP/M 68K ?

>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

.sig file lost in accident

In article <3173@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> kagle@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Jonathan C. Kagle) writes:
>	It's true!  Commodore is abandoning the A1000!  I think I'll trade up
>to an IMSAI.  Standard slots, a decent power supply, an excellent library of
>PD software, and it'll run MP/M.  No need to worry about obsolescence...

For Sale:

IMSAI 8080 system:

	includes:
		IMSAI chassis/pwr supply/CPU board
		Z-80 CPU board
		48k RAM, ??k ROM
		Tarbell Disk and Cassette boards
		2 8" Shugart floppy drives with power supply
		Processor Technology VDM-1
		Cromemco 7 channel A/D D/A board
		Homebrew keyboard
		Serial/parallel board
		CP/M software of all sorts
		S-100 proto board or two
		S-100 extender card
		buncha other boards and stuff I can't remember...

A classic.  Last home computer manufactured with binary front panel switches
and blinking lights.

Asking: $800.00   With A1000 trade in, $500.00.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) (12/15/87)

Olaf Seibert (U613042@HNYKUN11.BITNET) writes:
+
+By the way, in Europe where we have 50 Hz monitors, the flickering should
+be MUCH more annoying than in America, with 60 Hz monitors.
+On the other hand, this gives us 256 line screens, but when will programs
+adapt to that? Not many that easily could (about any program...), do.
+
+--- Olaf (Rhialto) Seibert...  U613042@HNYKUN11.BITNET

[ Put on your PLUG-SENSITIVE SUNGLASSES!!!]

I can think of one program that supports PAL as well as NTSC: PageFlipper.
I wrote it.

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 guest of SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.	|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (12/15/87)

Come on Bob... C= could never sell that machine for the home market!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Bill Daggett, a.k.a. *Bilbo Baggins*   Recombinant Hobbit and Sysop of
    * Sometimes The Dragon Wins! *      Bilbo's Hideaway = 213-640-6104
 INTERNET: bilbo@pnet02.CTS.COM
     UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, ihnp4!scgvaxd }!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (12/16/87)

In article <2109@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

> I happen to know that Commodore is about to unveil a parallel (up to
> 24 processors) 68030-based machine at AmiExpo in LA, runs Berkeley
> UNIX, System V, MINIX, OS/2 and MS-DOS, VMS, AOS/VS, PRIMOS, MAC/OS

> Fits on your desk (about the size of the MAC SE, but the expansion
> box and power supply must go under your desk) and costs US$1299.

I hear Commodore's going to sell in the US it for $1495.  Release date
is Real Soon Now.  Of course, this is why the people at CBM have been
so silent recently...they're busy at work trying to finish the PET
emulator (after all, how else can they run Ilaxian?)

						Jon

jxc@rayssd.RAY.COM (Jeffrey J. Clesius) (12/17/87)

In article <2591@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>Come on Bob... C= could never sell that machine for the home market!

You're right!  That's why they're working on a model with an integrated
keyboard for only $899. :-)
   |  Jeffrey Jay Clesius,  Raytheon Submarine Signal Division    |
   |  1847 West Main Road,  Mail Stop 188                         |
   |  Portsmouth, RI  02871-1087  (401) 847-8000 (X4015)          |
   |  { allegra | gatech | mirror | raybed2 } -----\              |
   |  { linus   | ihnp4  | uiucdcs } --------------->!rayssd!jxc  |
"All the world's a stage that we are going through."

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (12/17/87)

In article <2109@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> I happen to know that Commodore is about to unveil a parallel (up to
> 24 processors) 68030-based machine at AmiExpo in LA, runs Berkeley
> UNIX, System V, MINIX, OS/2 and MS-DOS, VMS, AOS/VS, PRIMOS, MAC/OS
> [etc.]

What about the surface to air missiles?  Will it also do my toast for me?

> I guess my first question: is anyone working on a TOS emulator?

I won't buy it unless it has an IBM 360 JCL emulation mode :-).
--
Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company