[comp.sys.amiga] New 2000 keyboards ... is there a problem?

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (12/15/87)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

Two people I know have recently purchased 2000's.  One came from Mountain
Software in North Carolina, the other from a shipment just delivered to a
Palo Alto, CA dealer.

Both people have mentioned problems with their cursor keys acting "funny"
(one said he had to hit a cursor key twice in WordPerfect in order for it
to be recognized [or something close to that], and the other person had a
similar [though slightly different] problem).  Both of these people are
experienced Amiga owners.

There have also been a couple of postings to the net about keyboard/cursor
problems on 2000's, so it seems that someone at CBM (hi, Dave) might want
to check into this.

BTW, I wonder if all these people with keyboard problems have the *new*
style keyboards?  Those are the ones with the BIG PF-keys up at the top
(like the 1000 or 500 has)?  One of the people I mentiond above definitely
has the new keyboard ... dunno about the other one.

And before anyone else asks ... will there be a keyboard upgrade/buy-back
program forthcoming from CBM.  For those of us with *little* PF-keys on
our 2000's keyboard's ...?

Insert *large* dose of smiley-faces here ... :-) :-) ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (12/16/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

In article <19665@amdahl.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

> Two people I know have recently purchased 2000's.  One came from Mountain
> Software in North Carolina, the other from a shipment just delivered to a
> Palo Alto, CA dealer.
>
> Both people have mentioned problems with their cursor keys acting "funny"
> (one said he had to hit a cursor key twice in WordPerfect in order for it
> to be recognized [or something close to that], and the other person had a
> similar [though slightly different] problem).  Both of these people are
> experienced Amiga owners.
>
> There have also been a couple of postings to the net about keyboard/cursor
> problems on 2000's, so it seems that someone at CBM (hi, Dave) might want
> to check into this.

Yes, I had an even worse problem with my new A2000 keyboard cursor
keys.  When pressed, each "arrow" key transmitted the proper escape
sequence, followed by all of the characters you would get if you typed
across one of the keyboard rows backwards!  (That is, "][poiuytrewq
<tab>", for example.)

The dealer (The Memory Location in Wellesley MA) promptly replaced the
keyboard with a different keyboard which did work properly.
(By the way, I have always found The Memory Location's service and
support to be very good; although, of course, their prices are
somewhat higher than mailorder.)

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (12/17/87)

In article <19665@amdahl.amdahl.com>, I wrote:

> Two people I know have recently purchased 2000's.
>
> Both people have mentioned problems with their cursor keys acting "funny"
> (one said he had to hit a cursor key twice in WordPerfect in order for it
> to be recognized [or something close to that], and the other person had a
> similar [though slightly different] problem).

Pete Jordan provided a little more info on the 2000's new keyboard
problems on our internal Amiga conference:

> Amiga 2000 Keyboard bug
>
> Thad from the FAUG board said that the new A2000 keyboard has an
> overengineered RFI problem fix.  There are two monster capacitors on the
> new A2000 keyboards that screw up the rise time of some signals. He
> believes the part designations silkscreened on the PC board are
> c900 and c901.  A service memorandum is being sent from Commodore
> to all authorized dealers detailing the correct fix to the problem.

'Twould be nice if CBM could post the service memo to the net, for
the benifit of those people who are technically qualified to make the
changes themselves ...

My 2000's old-style keyboard is manufactured by Cherry, Inc., a major OEM
of keyboards, switches, and the like to other companies.  I'm curious if
the new keyboard is also from Cherry, or somebody else?  Anyone snap their
new keyboard unit apart yet?

/kim