[comp.sys.amiga] 68010 Upgrade

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (12/10/87)

I've seen alot of talk about upgrading an amiga to a 68010, and have seen
software to make some of the software that won't take a 68010 work.  I
have seen an 8mhz chip, but I also have seen a 10mhz 68010- can this chip
be installed?  That would be great, running at 10mhz, even if the speedup
is small, any speedup would be appreciated.  (although what I would REALLY
appreciate would be a FASTER DOS...)
Later,
-------
       ________
    / /  ____  \                 - R38@PSUVM -
   / /  /_/_/  /                 - R38@PSUVM.PSU.EDU -
  / /  ____   /
 / /  /  \ \  \  A E G I S
/ /__/   / /__/ ---=====---     'NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.'
  __________________________________________________   (B.B. & M.M.)
 / MARC RIFKIN 132 BEAVER HALL UNIV. PK. PA. 16802 /
/___________814-862-6892__________________________/

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (12/11/87)

In article <27270R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>I've seen alot of talk about upgrading an amiga to a 68010, and have seen
>software to make some of the software that won't take a 68010 work.  I
>have seen an 8mhz chip, but I also have seen a 10mhz 68010- can this chip
>be installed?  That would be great, running at 10mhz, even if the speedup
>is small, any speedup would be appreciated.  (although what I would REALLY
>appreciate would be a FASTER DOS...)
>Later,
>-------
>  __________________________________________________   (B.B. & M.M.)
> / MARC RIFKIN 132 BEAVER HALL UNIV. PK. PA. 16802 /
>/___________814-862-6892__________________________/

 I use a MC68010L10 in my B2000, na dit works fine. Getting a 010 faster than
 8mhz will not get you any extra benefits, but it wont hurt either. The only
 reason I used a 10mhz is because I got a good price on it :-)

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/14/87)

I had a 68010 lying around at home that I pulled off a junk board
that I got at a hamfest. Being the adventuresome type, I decided to
install it in my Amiga 1000.

Needless to say, getting the Amiga 1000 apart isn't exactly a 2
minute job.  Once I had the 68010 in, the overall speedup was about
3%.  It is possilbe to write programs with looping constructions
that do take advantage of the 68010's limited instruction caching
ability; unfortunatelty compilers don't usually generate such code.
If you do a lot of coding of your own at the assembly level, then
the'010 could be worth the effort.

I'd venture that if you have an Amiga 500 or 1000, the time
required to dig into the case and do the swap will exceed the
amount of time saved by having a faster processor for one year.
Also, some software chokes on the 68010.

If you have the Amiga 2000, getting inside is relatively painless.
I'd consider doing the swap then.  If the 68010 choked on your
software, it would be easy to put the original back in.

Me, I'm back to the plain Jane 68000 and holding out for the '030.
We'll talk then. :-).

--Bill

In article <843@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
|>        ...  Once I had the 68010 in, the overall speedup was about
|>3%.  It is possilbe to write programs with looping constructions
|>that do take advantage of the 68010's limited instruction caching
|>ability; unfortunatelty compilers don't usually generate such code.
|>If you do a lot of coding of your own at the assembly level, then
|>the'010 could be worth the effort.

One of the features of the Lattice 4.0 compiler is that it generates
the optimal '010 instructions where possible. This make increase your
mileage another couple of percent. In general the '010 does not speed
you up too much.

--Chuck McManis

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (12/15/87)

One thing that I have to say for the 68010 upgrade is that it was the
cheapest way to get my C-Ltd hard disk board and my Allegra talking to
the same Amiga.  I took out the plastic Hatachi 68000, and put in a real
Motorola 10mHz 68010, and stopped all the Guru's I was having.  Much
easier than replacing the WCS board.
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

holmes@dasys1.UUCP (David Holmes) (12/17/87)

I guess my first question is whether or not the speed increase is worth
the time and money to pick one up. I've got an A2000 so it should be easy
to install. The next question is where do I get a 68010 and how much can
I expect to pay for one? Thanks in advance.

--
David Holmes
323 Seward Place

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (12/17/87)

In article <2247@dasys1.UUCP> holmes@dasys1.UUCP (David Holmes) writes:

>I guess my first question is whether or not the speed increase is worth
>the time and money to pick one up. I've got an A2000 so it should be easy
>to install. The next question is where do I get a 68010 and how much can
>I expect to pay for one? Thanks in advance.

I helped my friend put in a 68010 about a year ago, well into the wee
hours of a Friday night.  We installed it in his A1000 (which I will
be buying when he gets an A2000 RSN).  As I remember, it was a minor
job, and considering that we did it when we were that tired, it
couldn't have been too hard.

As to a performance increase, well, we really haven't noticed much.
Back when we first installed it he would say "this program looks like
it is running faster."  But it was too hard to really tell.  We did
some before-and-after timings, but they didn't show much.

In conclusion, unless you are really worried about that small speed
gain, it probably is not worth it.  He installed one because he got a
good deal on his 68010 from his employer, but I doubt he would have
tried it otherwise.  The speed gain is really hard to notice...

>--
>David Holmes
>323 Seward Place
>Schenectady, N.Y. 12308            {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri!dasys1!holmes
>(518) 372-0965                                        or holmesd@union.bitnet

						-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp