[comp.sys.amiga] Graphics, sprites, BOB's

5glit@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Beasley) (12/11/87)

Hay,

I am fairly new here, since our computer site is not directly connected to
the net it was very difficult for me to post this article. but i succeeded.

I hav e some questions concerning the amiga programming of sprites, graphics
and BOB's.

First:
Are there any 'usefull' books that I should read which help me to program
spritesgraphics, and BOB's. (In C ofcourse).

Second;
There are a lot of public domain software which describe the use of windows
but almost none that uses sprites or other graphics.
Does anybody out there have C sources that of programs that uses the
sprites and other graphics of the amiga.
I usually write my programs in C but io have almost no experience with
programming graphics on the amiga.

I read something on how to read joysticks on the not so long ago.
I us e a very small routine for this. If anybody is interested i will
post it to the net. or Email it to you.

My supervisor asked me post the following article for him on the net if
anybody can reply to it please write to the net.

I should like to know if anybody is aware of a weaving program which
can be run on an amiga. My wife is a fanatic weaver and likes to see
patterns before she starts weaving and challenged me to write
a weaving program for her. I am not aware of any weaving program,
commercial or public domain, which can run on the amiga.
If you know where to buy or get a copy from this type of program please let
me know.

Thanx on any input you can give me.

Hank Janssen.

NOTE. If you have any answers to my questions please post them on the net.
Since my site can not be reached via normal ways.
SO _don't_ sent it to the login that posted this article.

--

rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) (12/17/87)

In article <4466@ihlpg.ATT.COM>, 5glit@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Beasley) writes:

> I have some questions concerning the amiga programming of sprites, graphics
> and BOB's.
>
> First:
> Are there any 'usefull' books that I should read which help me to program
> spritesgraphics, and BOB's. (In C ofcourse).
>
> Second;
> There are a lot of public domain software which describe the use of windows
> but almost none that uses sprites or other graphics.
> Does anybody out there have C sources that of programs that uses the
> sprites and other graphics of the amiga.
> I usually write my programs in C but io have almost no experience with
> programming graphics on the amiga.

In January 87, SYBEX published my Programmers' Guide To The Amiga.
As of October, they had sold about 8000 copies.  It is still available
through B Dalton, among other places.  I cover both sprites and bobs
and give functioning C source examples of each.  The examples have appeared
on FISH disks since posting to the net and are available on disk
through the coupon in the back of the book.

(Always nice to find an opportunity to "advertise" :-) ... since
nobody else responded, can ya blame me?  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) )

Rob Peck		...ihnp4!hplabs!dana!rap

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (12/18/87)

In article <270@dana.UUCP> rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>In article <4466@ihlpg.ATT.COM>, 5glit@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Beasley) writes:
>>
>> I have some questions concerning the amiga programming of sprites, graphics
>> and BOB's.
>> First:
>> Are there any 'usefull' books that I should read which help me to program
>> spritesgraphics, and BOB's. (In C ofcourse).
>
>In January 87, SYBEX published my Programmers' Guide To The Amiga.
>As of October, they had sold about 8000 copies.  It is still available
>through B Dalton, among other places.  I cover both sprites and bobs
>and give functioning C source examples of each.
>
>Rob Peck		...ihnp4!hplabs!dana!rap

I was in the same position you are last summer.  I stongly recommend Peck's
book.  It's the BEST!  The first Amiga programming book I got was 'Inside
Amiga Graphics', which I can't recommend.  The source examples were not
well written, and were difficult to understand.  On the other hand, Rob's
examples are very clean, very elegant, and even fun to use.  Also, if you
are looking for good source examples on Fish disks, I've found Leo Schwab's
hacks to be very educational.  You may find a lot of examples of what you
want to do were written in Lattice C rather than Manx.  Leo's examples often
show how to make things work well under Manx.  My advice is get Rob Peck's
book, and print out some of Leo's hacks.  And study them.  If it weren't for
Rob's book and Leo's good Manx examples, I probably wouldn't be a Certified
Developer now.  Thanks guys!
	BTW, Rob, how about some examples of AnimObs, Double Buffering, and
Collision detection with multiple object in your next book!

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Amiga: The PC that CAN walk and chew gum at the same time.