[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1084

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (12/09/87)

A new monitor, the Amiga 1084, has appeared in local stores lately.  As I
don't remember it being mentioned here before, perhaps someone could comment
on this new display?
Stuart Pierce

In article <2121@crash.cts.com> spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) writes:
> A new monitor, the Amiga 1084, has appeared in local stores lately.  As I
> don't remember it being mentioned here before, perhaps someone could comment
> on this new display?
> Stuart Pierce

The 1084 is the latest "universal" Commodore monitor, intended for sale across
the whole Commodore product line, including C64/C128, PC's, A500 and A2000.
Hopefully the A2080 monitor will be availabily shortly for more discerning
users.  Currently, the A1080 still has the best specifications of any of the
available Commodore monitors, so keep your eyes open.  Persons having special
applications or the most refined tastes should look at the various multi-sync
monitors that are at a higher price/feature/quality level than any of the
Commodore branded monitors.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (12/14/87)

In article <2121@crash.cts.com>, spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) writes:
> A new monitor, the Amiga 1084, has appeared in local stores lately.  As I
> don't remember it being mentioned here before, perhaps someone could comment
> on this new display?
> Stuart Pierce

I got a 1084 with my new 2000 and sold it to a friend who bought
my 1000. The graphics looked fine but the housing was UUUGLY!.
Another dealer told me that C= has dropped the 2002 and substituted
the 1084 but I would like to hear also what others have to say
about this.

I've never had a 64 but i think that the 1084 looks alittle like
the monitors available for them.

--
"So this is reality!"               Michael Figg
			            DLA System Automation Center

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (12/15/87)

In article <2121@crash.cts.com> spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) writes:
>A new monitor, the Amiga 1084, has appeared in local stores lately.  As I
>don't remember it being mentioned here before, perhaps someone could comment
>on this new display?
>Stuart Pierce

[Sorry to be posting so much, but when I get a terminal program that makes
it really hard to edit on line I really like to torture myself!]

World of Commodore show seemed to be the first time most people had seen
this monitor.  The Canada people said the show was the first time for them
also.  The monitor has all sorts of goodies on it.

Remember the 1070, sharp monitor, but looked kind of goofy, then the 1080,
good picture, inexpensive, you could get boing ball logos for it from the
guys at Amiga Los Gatos. Everyone had either that or the Sony 1311 (or both).
Then the 2000 comes out and Commodore decideds to market a monitor that works
for both the 128, and the Amigas.  Only the 128 really doesn't need all that
resolution, so in order not to loose money on the deal they make the 2002,
a really not so hot monitor (course the 2000 had some video problems as well).

Now, sort of to make up for it, we are introduced to the 1084.  This is THE
Amiga monitor.  Sharp picture (course, I still would rather have a Sony 1302),
ample brightness, all sorts of switches and dials.  There is a Computer/VTR
switch on it (they know us now!), there are dials on the back to adjust the
vertical height (no longer do you need a screwdriver to adjust to a PAL
Amiga), and for horizontal width! (no longer do you need to kill yourself
opening the monitor to take advantage of Morerows!).

I really like the 1084, and when I get my Amiga Ranger 3000, I will buy one
of those to go with it.  I just have too many monitors right now (5 for 3
computers...).
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

rsilvers@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Amigas Dominate) (12/16/87)

In article <6288@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>..Then the 2000 comes out and Commodore decideds to market a monitor that works
>for both the 128, and the Amigas.  Only the 128 really doesn't need all that
>resolution, so in order not to loose money on the deal they make the 2002,
>a really not so hot monitor (course the 2000 had some video problems as well).

     When I bought my Amiga, they were temperarily out of 1080s.  They did not
want to give me a 2002 at such a low price because it was so "new."  Of
course I talked them into it.  I use 1080s all the time and can see no
difference.  Of course I will be very upset if I bought an inferior monitor.

Do you have any facts that the 2002 is not as good?  Lets see some numbers.
I want specs.  Until then, all I hear is rumors.  Any one from Commodore
know the dot-pitch?  How about the video bandwith of each?

					     --Rob.

|Robert Silvers.           (617) 452-8810 Rm. 210                          |
|University of Lowell.            ______                                   |

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (12/17/87)

In article <2135@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu (Amigas Dominate) writes:

>     When I bought my Amiga, they were temperarily out of 1080s.  They did not
>want to give me a 2002 at such a low price because it was so "new."  Of
>course I talked them into it.  I use 1080s all the time and can see no
>difference.  Of course I will be very upset if I bought an inferior monitor.

Let me get this straight.
You can't tell the difference with your eyes, so you want some "numbers"
to resolve the issue ? This is a monitor. Your eyes are the best test.

Hedley

drz@utcsri.UUCP (Jerry Zarycky) (12/18/87)

In article <2135@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu (Amigas Dominate) writes:

>     When I bought my Amiga, they were temperarily out of 1080s.  They did not
>want to give me a 2002 at such a low price because it was so "new."  Of
>course I talked them into it.  I use 1080s all the time and can see no
>difference.  Of course I will be very upset if I bought an inferior monitor.
>
>Do you have any facts that the 2002 is not as good?  Lets see some numbers.
>I want specs.  Until then, all I hear is rumors.  Any one from Commodore
>know the dot-pitch?  How about the video bandwith of each?
>
>					     --Rob.

When I saw the 2002 monitor in a local store, I was not impressed.
A friend of mine was already complaining about his 1080's fuzzy picture
as compared to his friend's Atari monitor.  To me, the 2002 looked to be
even MORE fuzzy than the 1080.  Looking at the specs, I noticed that the 2002's
dot pitch was .42, worse than the 1080's .38 dot pitch.
Then they got te 1084 monitor in, and while it has more controls for
adjusting the horizontal and vertical picture display (on the back of
the monitor -> great idea!), the dot pitch is also the wretched .42 mm.

As an aside, I've noticed that the Atari monitor's dot pitch is the
same as the 1080's, that is, .38 mm.  However, I believe the Atari's
monitor is only a 12 inch vs. the Amiga's 13 inch (correct me if I
am wrong, please!).  Is this why people think the picture looks better?

Jerry Zarycky

Usenet:	{cornell, uw-beaver, linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd} !utcsri!drz
CSNET:	drz@csri.toronto.edu            UUCP:  drz@utcsri.uucp
EAN:   drz@csri.toronto.cdn