[comp.sys.amiga] Disks, Killer Demos, Amoeba

hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) (12/15/87)

Disks:
	There are two disk and file related utilities I would like to
see.  Since I am very ignorant about the details of disk operations,
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about, or has implemented,
either of the following:

	FAST_FORMAT - Often I will want to just erase everything on
	a floppy.  There are currently only two alternatives -- either
	FORMAT the floppy, or do a DELETE DF0: ALL.  The problem is
	that both of these are sort of slow.  What I'd like is some
	sort of fast format program that "wipes the directory tracks"
	of an already formatted and data-filled disk.  I know there
	are no directory tracks, but there must be something analagous?
	This would really be useful when I do backups -- having to
	reformat 10 floppies takes a while, when all I want to do is
	purge all the files off of them.

	CLOSE - Say I am writing data to a file (with AmigaDOS Open()
	and Write()) and the task doing the writing gets a SOFTWARE
	FAILURE, TASK HELD requester.  Big trouble.  The file that I
	am writing may have all sorts of valid data, but because the
	errant task has an open write-lock on the file, I can't do
	anything with the file.  What I would like is a program that
	would force DOS to (hopefully purge any buffers and) close
	the file and free the lock.  In this way I could at least
	rescue some data from the file.  The other problem is that
	unclosed files like this force a disk into re-validating itself
	after you reboot.  On an HD this can take some time...

Badge Killer Demo Disks:
	The Killer demos are really neat!  I was dazed and amazed
by "Killer" and "Marketroid", awesome stuff.  But I have a question
about three of the demos.  On "Bezerk" and both "HalfBrite Hills" I
cannot get the demos to exit!  Berzerk says to press Ctrl-C, but that
had no effect.  I have tried every key combo that I can think of
(Ctrl-C,D,E,F, ESC, and others) and clicking everywhere, but I can't
get either of these demos to exit without having to reboot.  Is there
a secret to getting out of them?
	By the way, the other demos on the disks were also amazing.
A great complement to my almost 2-year old "dealer demos" disk!

Amoeba:
	This game is really wild!  Thanks to the comp.binaries.amiga
moderator for rapidly reposting a new version, and for Mike Cherry's
patch to the ameoba.uue file.  I really like "amoeba" [space invadors]
and am happy to get the game.  I'd also like to comment here that
despite the .uue problems, the new moderators have been doing an
excellent job.  I was one of the b-tchers before the change, but now
I will be the first to commend the new folks on their excellent service.

-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (12/17/87)

In article <3186@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:

> Disks:
> 	There are two disk and file related utilities I would like to
> see.  Since I am very ignorant about the details of disk operations,
> I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about, or has implemented,
> either of the following:
>
> 	FAST_FORMAT - Often I will want to just erase everything on

Check out FFormat, a program by Andy Rachmat (sp?).  It formats a disk
in half the time it takes AmigaDOS format.

> 	CLOSE - Say I am writing data to a file (with AmigaDOS Open()
> 	and Write()) and the task doing the writing gets a SOFTWARE
> 	FAILURE, TASK HELD requester.  Big trouble.  The file that I
> 	am writing may have all sorts of valid data, but because the
> 	errant task has an open write-lock on the file, I can't do
> 	anything with the file.  What I would like is a program that
> 	would force DOS to (hopefully purge any buffers and) close
> 	the file and free the lock.  In this way I could at least
> 	rescue some data from the file.  The other problem is that
> 	unclosed files like this force a disk into re-validating itself
> 	after you reboot.  On an HD this can take some time...

There is a program called GOMF (Get Outta My Face.  I'm not kidding.)
that is designed to watch for 'task held' requesters.  After you select
'cancel', instead of resetting, GOMF takes over and tries to clean up
the mess, close files, free locks, return memory and resources, etc.  It
then returns control to the system.  It might do what you want, but it's
not foolproof; I guess the Amiga's lack of resource tracking makes it a
ticklish situation, but GOMF does a reasonable job, usually.

You can probably find these on BBS's, etc. Try the Fish disks.

> -- Dan Green

Eric kennedy

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (12/18/87)

> In article <3186@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:
> >
> > Disks:
> > 	There are two disk and file related utilities I would like to
> > see.  Since I am very ignorant about the details of disk operations,
> > I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about, or has implemented,
> > either of the following:
> >
> > 	FAST_FORMAT - Often I will want to just erase everything on

I wrote a disk wiper that erases a previously formatted diskette in something
under two seconds.  I'd be happy to post it if there is interest, or I will
mail you a copy (with Lattice C source).

Send requests via US mail to:

Doug Walker
The Software Distillery
405 B3 Gooseneck Dr
Cary, NC 27513

Send a self-addressed mailer and diskette or some $$ for costs, please.

I have also uploaded to the Software Distillery BBS - (919)471-6436
It's called DISKWIPE.ARC

(BTW, the executable is ~4K total - in 100% C)