[comp.sys.amiga] Questions about Amiga future

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (11/27/87)

Is CA going to come out with a 386 bridgecard?  I don't see why they
can't use the latest processor in the series rather than the goopy old
8086.

Also, is the 68020 card going to have an MMU?  It'd be kind of nice to
run Unix with Amigados running as process underneath so that I can
play Skyfox :-).  Of couse, this would involve some major brain work on
Amigados, but it needs to be rewritten in C anyway.

Any plans for a 68030 card?  Masscomp just announced a 68030 upgrade and
they're claiming 7 mips performance.  That kind of performance would sure
be nice to have in an Amiga.  Can you imagine what Sublogic Jet is going
to be like in a 5-7 mips machine?

Is CA doing anything about presenting interlace resolution graphics without
the interlace mode?

Am I being hopelessly optimistic?  CA leapfrogged everyone's PC when they
introduced the Amiga 1000.  I'm considering upgrading to a 2000, but quite
frankly, unless I think CA has a committment to improving their machines
and keeping up with the rest of the world, I'll just use it until it gets
old and then go with a machine that is going to be able to keep up.

Sean
--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu, {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean
--  (the Empire guy)         sean@ms.uky.csnet,  sean@UKMA.BITNET

In article <7781@g.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

> Is CA going to come out with a 386 bridgecard?  I don't see why they
> can't use the latest processor in the series rather than the goopy old
> 8086.

	Maybe (aka "no comment")

> Also, is the 68020 card going to have an MMU?  It'd be kind of nice to
> run Unix with Amigados running as process underneath so that I can
> play Skyfox :-).  Of couse, this would involve some major brain work on
> Amigados, but it needs to be rewritten in C anyway.

	Yes, perhaps optional.

> Any plans for a 68030 card?  Masscomp just announced a 68030 upgrade and
> they're claiming 7 mips performance.  That kind of performance would sure
> be nice to have in an Amiga.  Can you imagine what Sublogic Jet is going
> to be like in a 5-7 mips machine?

	We need to get the 68020 card out before even thinking about
	making 68030 noises.  Of such sillyness is vaporware born...

> Is CA doing anything about presenting interlace resolution graphics without
> the interlace mode?

	Yes, one example was the A2020 hi-res monochrome display we showed
	at COMDEX.  We're also working on some other approaches.  The third
	party folk seem to have external scan doublers/frame buffers in
	the works.

> Am I being hopelessly optimistic?  CA leapfrogged everyone's PC when they
> introduced the Amiga 1000.  I'm considering upgrading to a 2000, but quite
> frankly, unless I think CA has a committment to improving their machines
> and keeping up with the rest of the world, I'll just use it until it gets
> old and then go with a machine that is going to be able to keep up.

	Commodore is committed to improving the Amiga, however the major
	improvments take time, usually far more than anybody anticipated...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

schwager@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/08/87)

> > Am I being hopelessly optimistic?  CA leapfrogged everyone's PC when they
> > introduced the Amiga 1000.  I'm considering upgrading to a 2000, but quite
> > frankly, unless I think CA has a committment to improving their machines
> > and keeping up with the rest of the world, I'll just use it until it gets
> > old and then go with a machine that is going to be able to keep up.

Hmmm... maybe it's just me, I dunno.  The way I see it, C-A comes out
with the A1000 in 1985, moving ahead of the state of the art in low-cost
computers.  Now two years later, they come out with 1) the same machine
priced low enough so that (my prediction) it becomes the Commodore 64 of
the late 80s, and 2) An (arguably) upgraded, easily expandable version of
the same  machine with the features designed to make it a serious contender
in the Business and Professional fields (a sad but necessary step, adding
the PC compatibility).  Meanwhile, IBM and Apple come out with improved
machines that reflect the state of the art.  I've got no problem with
that, since the next machine Commodore comes out with, if it's any
improvement at all on the Amigas we have now, will be another jump *ahead*
in the state-of-the-art.  I expect that "the machine that is going to be
able to keep up" will be made by Commodore.  I'm talking personal
computing here, by the way- heck, if I had my druthers, I'd have a Sun
3, or maybe an Apollo... or wait, Cray, yeah- that's the ticket!  A
Cray, yeah....

I chuckle every time I demo my $600 micro to my computing friends...
...window to background, window to foreground, xmodem... receive
binary... begin download, *click* window to background, "Hey, what are
you doin?!" "Well, this ain't no PC fer crissakes! I'm not going to sit
and wait for that thing to finish when I can do something else (sly
grin)... wanna see a cool demo?  Play a game, perhaps?"
-mike schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (12/10/87)

In article <75500003@uiucdcsp> schwager@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I chuckle every time I demo my $600 micro to my computing friends...
>...window to background, window to foreground, xmodem... receive
>binary... begin download, *click* window to background, "Hey, what are
>you doin?!" "Well, this ain't no PC fer crissakes! I'm not going to sit
>and wait for that thing to finish when I can do something else (sly
>grin)... wanna see a cool demo?  Play a game, perhaps?"

 ... Let me show you a demo on *my* computer... start a Kermit upload
in one window, run the Hopalong demo in another, and on the third start
a long compile, then over to my Z29 TERMINAL and run microEMACS - one
window shows the header file, another shows the part of the file I'm
working on. Back to the first, bring up a shell, and talk with some other
PCs...

 All this on a PC/AT. But you could do the same on a regular ol' PC, with
Concurrent PC-DOS. And use all the PC software out there, and hardware,
and... Get a PC/XT w/EGA and CDOS. Multitasking and Multi-USER.  And it runs
GEM w/multitasking. And for about the same price as an Amiga 2000, you can
get a hard disk, monitor, and a barrage of PD programs you wouldn't believe.
It's the best supported hardware in existence.

- Bruce

* Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict       uunet!amdahl!drivax!holloway *
* ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                            ALBATROSS @ Delphi *

ugmiker@sunybcs.uucp (Michael Reilly) (12/11/87)

In article <2813@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>In article <75500003@uiucdcsp> schwager@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>
> All this on a PC/AT. But you could do the same on a regular ol' PC, with
>Concurrent PC-DOS. And use all the PC software out there, and hardware,
>and... Get a PC/XT w/EGA and CDOS. Multitasking and Multi-USER.  And it runs
>GEM w/multitasking. And for about the same price as an Amiga 2000, you can
>get a hard disk, monitor, and a barrage of PD programs you wouldn't believe.
>It's the best supported hardware in existence.
>
>- Bruce

	yeah, BUT is it amiga compatible ????? :-)

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Michael (what am I wood??) Reilly
University of Buffalo Computer Science
--------------------------------------
CSNET:	ugmiker@buffalo.CSNET
INTERNET: ugmiker@{joey,marvin}.cs.buffalo.edu
UUCP:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugmiker
BITNET:	ugmiker@sunybcs.BITNET   <-OR->   ACSCMPR@ubvmsc.BITNET

In article <2813@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:

> All this on a PC/AT. But you could do the same on a regular ol' PC, with
>Concurrent PC-DOS. And use all the PC software out there, and hardware,
>and... Get a PC/XT w/EGA and CDOS. Multitasking and Multi-USER.  And it runs
>GEM w/multitasking. And for about the same price as an Amiga 2000, you can
>get a hard disk, monitor, and a barrage of PD programs you wouldn't believe.
>It's the best supported hardware in existence.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(assume Eddie Murphey stance)

"Blit this, buddy"

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

In article <2813@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:

> All this on a PC/AT. But you could do the same on a regular ol' PC, with

Too slow. GEM (which is not real slick, thank you) performs poorly
with a stock 4.77 Mhz 8088. Oh ? You upgraded to a 10 Mhz V20 ? Hmm,
about those 25 Mhz '020 chips..

>Concurrent PC-DOS.

Another wiener.

>And use all the PC software

Perhaps usefull for accounting and mailing lists, but not a lot of
animation software, now, is there ?

>out there, and hardware,

Yes, there are some cheap harddisks, for which we are thankfull. Even more
thankfull C= put an AT bus in the 2000, so we can exploit this. Same deal with
Apollo 3000's.

>and... Get a PC/XT

crud

>w/EGA

Right. How many colors are there between dark red and bright red ? None ? Oh.
Darn that digital RGB.

>and CDOS. Multitasking and Multi-USER.  And it runs
>GEM w/multitasking. And for about the same price as an Amiga 2000, you can
>get a hard disk, monitor, and a barrage of PD programs you wouldn't believe.

Dont believe them all right. I especially like the one in the PC-SIG catalog:
"Make desktop slide presentations" What they want you to do is print
out a graph, and take a picture of it. Viola you have a computer
generated slide.

I dont believe it.

>It's the best supported hardware in existence.

(I thought toilets were)

It must be. So many options to choose from. CGA, MDA, MONO, EGA, PGC, plus the
plethora of proprietory graphics cards, that each week promise to
draw the AutoCAD nozzle faster than last weeks. And then there's PC, XT, AT and
Micro channel bus slots. What fun.

>- Bruce

Nice try.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
UUCP:         {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, ihnp4, nosc}!crash!gryphon!richard

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (12/12/87)

In article <2813@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
[a bunch of stuff purportedly showing off Concurrent PC-DOS]
>Get a PC/XT w/EGA and CDOS. Multitasking and Multi-USER.  And it runs
>GEM w/multitasking. And for about the same price as an Amiga 2000, you can
>get a hard disk, monitor, and a barrage of PD programs you wouldn't believe.

Wow.  Amazing.  For about the same price as an Amiga 2000 (about $1400, I
presume), we get a monitor (probably monochrome only, or maybe, if we're
very, very lucky, one which has 640 X 350 16-color graphics), a hard disk
(undoubtedly a creeping 20 Meg Seagate), and a barrage of PD programs,
most of which you wouldn't WANT to believe!  But wait, there's more!  You
also get a wonderful Intel processor!  And a gigantic 640K of RAM!
All made by those little Asian gnomes in Taiwan!

Not to mention the wonderful ability to run GEM.  Yes, you, too, can run
the same software as the Atari ST!

I invite the Amiga community to inspect the .signature of this man.
Note, especially, the words ATARI and drivax (as in Digital Research).
Somehow, I don't think he is an objective witness...

>* Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict       uunet!amdahl!drivax!holloway *
>* ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                               ^^^^^^
              ^^^^^

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

alex@.UUCP (Alex Laney) (12/18/87)

In article <2813@drivax.UUCP>, holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
> >grin)... wanna see a cool demo?  Play a game, perhaps?"
>
>  ... Let me show you a demo on *my* computer... start a Kermit upload
> in one window, run the Hopalong demo in another, and on the third start
> a long compile, then over to my Z29 TERMINAL and run microEMACS - one
> window shows the header file, another shows the part of the file I'm
> working on. Back to the first, bring up a shell, and talk with some other
> PCs...

At least Amiga owners don't have to buy extra terminals to do more than four
tasks at once! (What a ridiculous limitation!)

--
Alex Laney   alex@xicom.UUCP   ...utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!xicom!alex
Xicom Technologies, 205-1545 Carling Av., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada