[comp.sys.amiga] Installing MarbleMadness! in RAM:

cosell@cosell.bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (12/08/87)

I'm not sure quite where to ask about this (can one ask the MarauderII
folks directly?): what I'm trying to do is get MarbleMadness to run
out of RAM:.  I have an A2000 with piles of memory, and I _know_ I've
seen MM run off of a hard disk, so I think it _ought_ to be possible.
In addition to an honest-to-god store-bought, registered copy of MM,
I also have MarauderII (again, h-t-g, s-b).  MII _did_ back up MM with
no problem, so it runs fine off a spare floppy (in fact, I'm not even
sure right now WHERE I put the original master...sigh...).

Handholding time: what do I do now?  I tried the "decoder" stuff on MII,
and it seemed to produce a file, but I can't manage to run it without
guruing.  There are a bunch of files on the MM disk (one, called sigfile,
seems to be uncopyable, so I can't just "copy" the whole thing down
to RAM:).  Would someone who has managed to get this all to work give
me a step-by-step?  Thanks!!

  /Bernie\

ps, while you're at it, I'd also like to try to do the same for MindWalker.
I haven't hacked with MW in a while now, but I seem to recall seeing
that it won't run very happily on a 2000.  That true?  Will just "NoFastMem"
fix it?  (Presumably that would b eeasy if I got it all loaded into and
runngin out of RAM).  Thanks again.. /b\

Bernie Cosell                       Internet:  cosell@bbn.com
Bolt, Beranek & Newman, Inc         USENET:    bbn.com!cosell
Cambridge, MA   02238               Telco:     (617) 873-3503

hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) (12/09/87)

In article <19084@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com.UUCP (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>I'm not sure quite where to ask about this (can one ask the MarauderII
>folks directly?): what I'm trying to do is get MarbleMadness to run
>out of RAM:...

I tried the same thing, also with no success.  In fact, I specifically
bought MarauderII for the SOLE REASON of getting MM to run in RAM:
The Marauder 'decoder' program did absolutely nothing except replicate
a 175Kbyte file that did not even have any errors on it!  There is
a small 93 byte file  "sigfile" that is unreadable -- decoder didn't
even touch it.  By the way, I got MM in June 87, and Marauder in
Sepp 87, with the latest "Brain file" (Num. 8).
So there is no excuse for Discovery Software.

I was really amused to read a note posted the other day where someone
said that "Arkanoids (sp?)", a new game marketed by Discovery Software,
is massively copy protected and can't be broken by Marauder II!
Discovery specifically advertises that Marauder will back up "anything"
and that this copy breaking is to be used only for the sole and legal
purpose of making backups.  But you can't even backup their own program!
What this implies is that Discovery Software is really marketing
Marauder II as a pirate's tool.  I think the people at Discovery
Software are a bunch of dispicable hypocrites.

I have "Discovered" a new place for Discovery Software.  It is called
the toilet.

-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (12/09/87)

cosell@cosell.bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>I'm not sure quite where to ask about this (can one ask the MarauderII
>folks directly?): what I'm trying to do is get MarbleMadness to run
>out of RAM:.  I have an A2000 with piles of memory, and I _know_ I've
>seen MM run off of a hard disk, so I think it _ought_ to be possible.
>In addition to an honest-to-god store-bought, registered copy of MM,
>I also have MarauderII (again, h-t-g, s-b).  MII _did_ back up MM with
>no problem, so it runs fine off a spare floppy (in fact, I'm not even
>sure right now WHERE I put the original master...sigh...).
>

>  /Bernie\

Okay...dug this file out of the attic... make a backup of your MM
(Marauder II should handle that) and then make the following the
startup-sequence::

loadwb
makedir ram:c
copy c:copy ram:c
assign m: MarbleMadness!:
cd ram:
assign c: ram:c
copy m:#? ram:
copy m:c/??? c:
copy m:c/?????? c:
copy m:c/b#? c:
copy m:c/m#? c:

Then click on the MM icon as usual to start the game.. everything should run
out of ram.  No more gronking between levels of the game.

By the way, E/A, how come this fine game of yours can be launged from an icon
but one has to reboot when done playing it. C'mon, you can do better than
that!

|  Harv Laser - Chairman (sysop) The PeopleLink AmigaZone    //    |
|  PeopleLink: CBM*HARV                                    \X/     |
|  UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser |
|  INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM                                    |

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (12/09/87)

Try the decoder again.  I have broken Marble Madness with Marauder II, and it
now runs fine from a RAM disk.
Stuart

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (12/10/87)

In article <3126@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:
> In article <19084@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com.UUCP (Bernie Cosell) writes:
> >
> >I'm not sure quite where to ask about this (can one ask the MarauderII
> >folks directly?): what I'm trying to do is get MarbleMadness to run
> >out of RAM:...
>
> What this implies is that Discovery Software is really marketing
> Marauder II as a pirate's tool.  I think the people at Discovery
> Software are a bunch of dispicable hypocrites.
>
> I have "Discovered" a new place for Discovery Software.  It is called
> the toilet.
>
> -- Dan Green

First of all, yes, you can contact Discovery software directly. When I
purchased Deluxe Video 2.0, I did this because the version of Maurauder II
I had couldn't back it up. Since I had just purchased the upgrade from
Maurauder to Maurauder II, Discovery sent me an updated Brain file to
backup DV 2.0 . HOWVEVER, don't get the foolish impression that these
upgrades will always come cheap. Not by a long shot!!! First I bought
Maurauder at $35. This was quickly obsoleted by new protection schemes.
So can I get new copy codes? "NO, we don't support Maurauder anymore,
you should upgrade to Maurauder II, for a mere $18 (I think thats what
it was)" Of course this is only a few dollars less than I could have bought
it for without an upgrade at a mail order software house. So I spring for the
new program. Its not upto date so this time upgrade is free. Now Brain file
number 9 is out. Upgrade? "Sure, for a mere $18". ~:-[ What the hell is
going on here!!??!! It seems to me that afew years down the road, maintaining
an upto date Maurauder could add up to a few hundred dollars, a bit ridiculous
for backups. $5 I could accept. Its probably not unlikey that brain files
will fall victom to piracy for this reason. If so, Discovery won't get my
sympathy!

|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson  <-- Center of the Universe about           |
|      (603)885-9229              which all revolves                     |

acphssrw@csun.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) (12/11/87)

In article <3126@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hsgj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(Dan Green) writes many bad things about Marauder II and Marble Madness,
among them:
>I specifically
>bought MarauderII for the SOLE REASON of getting MM to run in RAM:
>The Marauder 'decoder' program did absolutely nothing except replicate
>a 175Kbyte file that did not even have any errors on it!
That's odd.  I have MM with Brain File #6 and it both backed up Marble
Madness onto a spare floppy, and the decoder program decoded the file
"MarbleMadness!.dat" into a stand-alone executable.  That done, I was
able to put a copy of FaccII and the run command on my backup copy and
change the startup-sequence to:

run FaccII 1760
MarbleMadness!

which starts up FaccII with enough buffers to hold the entire floppy
(a bit of overkill) and then starts the game.  After the first time
through each level, successive reads of the levels come from memory.

Stephen Walton, representing myself		swalton@solar.stanford.edu
Cal State, Northridge				rckg01m@calstate.BITNET

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) (12/12/87)

In article <3126@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hsgj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:
>I tried the same thing, also with no success.  In fact, I specifically
>bought MarauderII for the SOLE REASON of getting MM to run in RAM:
>The Marauder 'decoder' program did absolutely nothing except replicate
>a 175Kbyte file that did not even have any errors on it!

	Are you sure you did it right?  I used Decoder successfully
with no problems at all:

	cd marblemadness!:c
	decoder marblemadness!.dat ram:marble
	protect rwed marblemadness!.dat
	delete marblemadness!.dat
	copy ram:marble marblemadness!:/marblemadness!

Notice... you DON'T copy the decoded file into marblemadness!.dat.
You copy it into marblemadness! in the root directory.  You see,
the original marblemadness! program decodes the ".dat" file and
runs the game.  "Decoder" does the decoding permanently, eliminating
the need for the original marblemadness! program (which checks the
copy protection).

>I have "Discovered" a new place for Discovery Software.  It is called
>the toilet.

	MarauderII has never failed me, and I've used it dozens of times.
I think you're being a little harsh.
---
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

robert@trwind.TRW.COM (Robert W. Snyder) (12/15/87)

Robert Snyder
>In article <3126@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hsgj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
>(Dan Green) writes many bad things about Marauder II and Marble Madness,
>among them:
>>I specifically
>>bought MarauderII for the SOLE REASON of getting MM to run in RAM:
>>The Marauder 'decoder' program did absolutely nothing except replicate
>>a 175Kbyte file that did not even have any errors on it!
>That's odd.  I have MM with Brain File #6 and it both backed up Marble
>Madness onto a spare floppy, and the decoder program decoded the file
>"MarbleMadness!.dat" into a stand-alone executable.  That done, I was
>able to put a copy of FaccII and the run command on my backup copy and
>change the startup-sequence to:
>
>run FaccII 1760
>MarbleMadness!
>
>which starts up FaccII with enough buffers to hold the entire floppy
>(a bit of overkill) and then starts the game.  After the first time
>through each level, successive reads of the levels come from memory.
>
>Stephen Walton, representing myself		swalton@solar.stanford.edu
>Cal State, Northridge				rckg01m@calstate.BITNET

Can anyone tell me how much memory you need to acomplish this??

--
Robert Snyder       Disclaimer  --  nobody claims dis, but me
TRW Information Networks Division 23800 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance CA 90505

ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) (12/16/87)

On the subject of Marauder II and people being hypocrites.  It seems to
me that every version of Marauder II I have seen used was not copy
protected, but you did have to type in a word from the reference manual
to get it.  I would disagree with conclusions that Discovery seeks
only to produce a pirate program.
Ross
--
csnet: ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu
uucp:  ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu || ...harvard!ulowell!ross

Trust the computer.	The computer is your friend.

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (12/18/87)

In article <2132@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) writes:

> On the subject of Marauder II and people being hypocrites.  It seems to
> me that every version of Marauder II I have seen used was not copy
						            ^^^^^^^^
> protected, but you did have to type in a word from the reference manual
  ^^^^^^^^^
> to get it.  I would disagree with conclusions that Discovery seeks
> only to produce a pirate program.
> Ross

	Typing in a word from a manual is copy protection in my book.

	I feel that Marauder II is a necessary tool for the Amiga because
	of all the copy protection on the productivity software.  Without
	this tool, the power of the Amiga (multitasking, ram disk etc.)
	would be useless.  The ability to make a backup is a fact of life
	with PCs.  Copy-protection on games is OK in my book as long as it
	doesn't cripple the Amiga.

	Unlike any powerful tool, "power currupts" some people and benifits
	those who would use it for evil purposes.

Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

wedlake@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (William Wedlake) (12/19/87)

 I also have decided to get off the Maurauder cost bandwagon. I went through
Maurader that wouldn't copy anything I wanted; was fooled into buying
Maurader II that didn't copy what it was advertised too; and then being
invited to buy new brain files when I complained. This type of copy protection
must be supported by the software developers. Soon everyone will buy backup
disks just to put Discovery out of business.

Bill