[comp.sys.amiga] Mandala System, VERY VIVID, Macro Pappa Read This.

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (12/14/87)

I could not find Macro Pappa's address, so I am posting this note concerning
the Mandala system which uses an Amiga to digitize a dancer, real time, and
have the dancer's digitised image interact with on-screen icons.  This
interaction results in playback of digitized sounds, as well as countless other
special effects.  For example, the dancer's image was kicking an icon ball
around the screen.  The people responsible for the  developent of this system
were went to the University of Waterloo, in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  I go to
school there and they put on several demonstrations.  The system is composed of
an 8 meg A1000 (with 68010?  I did not know that), a high speed, custom-built
real-time digitizer, and of course the special software that allows the
interaction of the digitized image of the dancer to interact with the on-screen
icons.  I know a custom digitizer would be expensive, but not that much, as
well I did not believe that the software should be that sophisticated.  So, I
asked them why they were asking $35,000 (U.S. Funds) for the system.  They said
their target was professional type entertainment, performers, and rock groups.
For these groups, money was no consideration, and $35,000 was a drop in the
bucket.  Supposedly the group Talking heads was evaluating the system.
The developers of the system did say they were considering a cheaper consumer
version.

Whatever the components or cost of the Mandala system may be, the
demonstration they performed, called VERY VIVID, was exactly that.  It sticks
in my mind as the most amazing, profound, and enjoyable demostration of the
Amiga's sound and graphics power, that I have EVER seen.  I only hope to see
some more artists make use of the system and produce some wonderful videos.

'Chain-Saw Tag... Try it, you'll like it!'
Dennis Robert Gorrie  (please respond direct)

malibo@arizona.edu (Rob McConeghy) (12/15/87)

In article <8712132054.AA04823@jade.berkeley.edu>, MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
> icons.  I know a custom digitizer would be expensive, but not that much, as
> well I did not believe that the software should be that sophisticated.  So, I
> asked them why they were asking $35,000 (U.S. Funds) for the system.  They said
> their target was professional type entertainment, performers, and rock groups.
> For these groups, money was no consideration, and $35,000 was a drop in the
> bucket....

   Talk about run-away capitalism! Why dont they just lease the system for
   10% of the gate at any rock concert it is used at.
   For use in a professional video, I would suggest a one time fee of
   50,000 plus 5% of the royalties, if any.

> The developers of the system did say they were considering a cheaper consumer
> version.
>
> Whatever the components or cost of the Mandala system may be, the
> demonstration they performed, called VERY VIVID, was exactly that.  It sticks
> in my mind as the most amazing, profound, and enjoyable demostration of the
> Amiga's sound and graphics power, that I have EVER seen.

    I do agree that Mandala is pretty neat as toys go. It was shown at
    The Ami-Expo in New York in October and was very popular. I expect
    that they'll be at the Ami-Expo in Los Angeles and Chicago too.
    So all you folks who can't shake $35,000 out of the old piggy bank
    to have one of your own might try catching it there.

    Any rock-group stupid enough to fork over that kind of money for
    something that Leo could probably hack together in a weekend and
    distribute for free (software only of course, you will need a
    little extra hardware but nothing that isn't already available for
    a lot less than $2000) deserves to end its days in the 1/2 price bin
    at K-Mart or as a special offer from K-Tel Records. Come to think of
    it most rock groups will end up there anyway.

In article <3198@megaron.arizona.edu> malibo@arizona.edu (Rob McConeghy) writes:
>    Any rock-group stupid enough to fork over that kind of money for
>    something that Leo could probably hack together in a weekend and
>    distribute for free [...] deserves to end its days in the 1/2 price bin
>    at K-Mart or as a special offer from K-Tel Records.

	Or, they could hire me to create the visuals for their music video.
I wouldn't mind doing that; it'd be a great way to make lots of fast bucks,
as well as getting me more exposure.  Who knows?  I may even become famous
enough to get invited on Letterman.

	Maybe I'll win the California Lottery, too....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (12/17/87)

In article <4747@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> 	Or, they could hire me to create the visuals for their music video.
> I wouldn't mind doing that; it'd be a great way to make lots of fast bucks,
> as well as getting me more exposure.  Who knows?  I may even become famous
> enough to get invited on Letterman.

	How many bucks do you want? There is plenty here for people like you.
You will not only be a hero, but famous beyond belief.

> 	Maybe I'll win the California Lottery, too....

	Let's talk.

	I have not heard your demented HaHa since SIGgraph '87. That was before
Pixar realized an Amiga was, and therefore shouldn't be. Lots of HaHas.

	Ill never forget your comments during the Amiga Friends meeting.

	What moved me was your comments about "a dark cloud". Say no more.

	Talk to me.

	We also have a huge bunch of bike trails, not to mention enthusiasts.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of the CCI POWER 6/32)

hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) (12/21/87)

Rob McConeghy (malibo@arizona.edu) writes:
>In article <8712132054.AA04823@jade.berkeley.edu>, MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>> icons.  I know a custom digitizer would be expensive, but not that much, as
>> well I did not believe that the software should be that sophisticated.  So, I
>> asked them why they were asking $35,000 (U.S. Funds) for the system.  They said
>> their target was professional type entertainment, performers, and rock groups.
>> For these groups, money was no consideration, and $35,000 was a drop in the
>> bucket....
>
>   Talk about run-away capitalism! Why dont they just lease the system for
>   10% of the gate at any rock concert it is used at.
>    So all you folks who can't shake $35,000 out of the old piggy bank
>    to have one of your own might try catching it there.

	I have a copy of their flyer.  Very Vivid is selling a home version of
their software for $549 Canadian.  You need a real-time digitizer to use it.
A friend of mine who deals with VV says that it's only been tested with an old
prototype of Live! which they got for free.  Who knows how compatible this will
be with the new one?  I believe that it also only produces the sounds through
the use of an external synthesizer (they use a DX7), not the Amiga's sound.

 Hobie Orris			| "I'm checking out of this bourgeois motel;
 guest of SoftQuad Inc.,Toronto	| Push myself away from the dinner table and say
 utzoo!sq!hobie			| NO MORE JELLO FOR ME, MOM!"