[comp.sys.amiga] The Amiga2000 HD situation

ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) (12/18/87)

disk in my 2000?  Thanks for your help.

						Alexander Hinds

USENET: ahinds@hvrunix
BITNET: A_HINDS@HVRFORD

In article <390@hvrunix.UUCP> ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) writes:
>IBM compatibility Since Amiga HD's are so expensive, is it possible to put an IBM hard
>disk in my 2000?  Thanks for your help.
>
>						Alexander Hinds

Of course.  That was the idea behind C-A A2090 controller: to support BOTH
IBM ST506 drives and Mac SCSI disks.

The only requirement is that the disk must be half-height.  Commodore listed
about 10 disk drives that have been tested for compatibility.  From that list
I recommend The Miniscribe 3650 (40M), Seagate ST225 (20M) and Seagate ST251
(40M), since these are very heavily discounted all over the place.  Look in
the various mail order ads in Computer Shopper, InfoWorld or PCWeek.  I myself,
bought the Seagate ST251.

Just to give you an idea of how IBM compatible the A2090 is, I successfully
installed an IBM PC RT (IBM's UNIX workstation) 40M IBM disk on the Amiga
with no problem.

-- Marco Papa
   Felsina Software

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (12/21/87)

In article <390@hvrunix.UUCP> ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) writes:
>  Since Amiga HD's are so expensive, is it possible to put an IBM hard
>disk in my 2000?  Thanks for your help.
>
>						Alexander Hinds

   Sure you can usa a !BM hard drive in your 2000. When you say !BM do you
  mean ST-506? If yes, then get a 2090 hard drive controller card. If !BM
  means something like a HardCard, then get a 2088 BridgeBoard. But either
  way you slice it - you come up with a hard drive that the 2000 can use.

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS