[comp.sys.amiga] Help needed .info files

roch@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (12/19/87)

Recently, I moved some Workbench icons onto the
screen while working with an application.  I
later turned the machine off without moving them back
into the window.  I seem to remember having done this
under Kick/Work 1.1 without any problems.  Now,
much to my surprise (and my wife's panic :-) )
the icons no longer show when I reopen the window.
Inspecting the directory, the .info files are still
there.  I assume that for some reason they were
updated (did I take a snapshot w/o remembering?).
My question now is am I obligated to redo the icons
(they were all pretty standard), or is there a way
out of this.

			Merci Buckets,
			David Roch
			roch@b.cs.uiuc.edu

apl@pnet02.cts.com (Andy Levy) (12/23/87)

roch@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Recently, I moved some Workbench icons onto the
>screen while working with an application.  I
>later turned the machine off without moving them back
>into the window.  I seem to remember having done this
>under Kick/Work 1.1 without any problems.  Now,
>much to my surprise (and my wife's panic :-) )
>the icons no longer show when I reopen the window.
>Inspecting the directory, the .info files are still
>there.  I assume that for some reason they were
>updated (did I take a snapshot w/o remembering?).
>My question now is am I obligated to redo the icons
>(they were all pretty standard), or is there a way
>out of this.
>
>			Merci Buckets,
>			David Roch
>			roch@b.cs.uiuc.edu

This is a known bug (I know that because I reported it to CBM a few months
ago...) and is easily corrected:
1. Delete the ".info" file from the root directory.
2. Close the disk window.
3. Reopen the disk window. Your icons should be back.
If I remember correctly, the "vanishing" icons will result if any function
is performed that causes a re-write of the ".info" file while icons are
sitting outside the disk window (i.e. like a snapshot, moving in an icon
from another disk or other window, DISCARDing an icon, etc).

--apl

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!apl
INET: apl@pnet02.CTS.COM