[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench vs Workbench project icons, bugs?

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (12/21/87)

I have been trying to fix a problem and I'm not sure if it can be.

The program I'm working on uses a Project icon on a file which when double
clicked the filename in WBarg is passed to the program from workbench.
I then try to get the parentdir lock from the files lock
and examine the parentdir's lock to get the parentdir's name.

    When the program is installed on the workbench and the workbench disk is
in DF0: the program works fine. But when the program is installed with its
Project on the workbench and the disk is not in drive DF0: but in DF1:
the program tries to locate the lock on drive DF0: and when the requester
that comes up saying no disk in drive df0: is cancelled I get a Null string
for the Parentdir's name.  I have checked the WBarg filename and the string
is the name of the file that I have clicked on.  But the Amigados
seems to think that the file should be on drive DF0: not DF1:.

    One way in which it does work in drive df1: on the workbench
is if I click on the project icon once, hold down the shift
key and double click on the program's tool icon.  This seems odd to me in
that the impression that I have been given by what I have read is that
both situations should work the same.

Also when the program and Project is on a different disk the program
works fine regardless of the drive it is in.

I'm not sure if I should be doing something different or is there a
bug in the Workbench program with respect to it's handling of Project icons
and the location of the workbench disk.

Lance Holmes
Raytheon MSD Bedford Ma.

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (12/24/87)

In article <1093@raybed2.UUCP> lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) writes:

>I have been trying to fix a problem and I'm not sure if it can be.
>
>The program I'm working on uses a Project icon on a file which when double
>clicked the filename in WBarg is passed to the program from workbench.
>I then try to get the parentdir lock from the files lock
>and examine the parentdir's lock to get the parentdir's name.
>
>    When the program is installed on the workbench and the workbench disk is
>in DF0: the program works fine. But when the program is installed with its
>Project on the workbench and the disk is not in drive DF0: but in DF1:
>the program tries to locate the lock on drive DF0: and when the requester
>that comes up saying no disk in drive df0: is cancelled I get a Null string
>for the Parentdir's name.  I have checked the WBarg filename and the string
>is the name of the file that I have clicked on.  But the Amigados
>seems to think that the file should be on drive DF0: not DF1:.

   This seems related to a bug I found recently (at least I consider it
a bug).

   If you put a full device and file path for Default Tool in a Project
Icon, the tool comes up CD'd to df0: (root) with current directory
lock == 0.  Normally, with any other type of path (:tool, :dir/tool, tool, etc)
you come up cd'd to where the project icon resides.  I discovered this
when I tried to change some AmigaBasic icons to ask for Extras:AmigaBasic
instead of :AmigaBasic.

   Your problem seems to be another version of the same thing.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180