[comp.sys.amiga] Multi-Tasking Rehashed

tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM (Todd South) (12/24/87)

davidli@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Meile) writes:

>>In article <2168@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>
>>                5)      Remember, what the few want today, the masses
>>                          can't live without tomarrow!

>Ahem.  In case you haven't noticed, the "masses" are NOT buying microcomputers.
>They certainly aren't going to "need" multi-tasking systems, and would
>probably be able to live without them (or computers, in general) quite
>nicely thank you very much.

What world are you living in?  Seems to me that most of the "masses" ARE
buying personal computers.  That's why prices go down!  Remember general
economics. :-)

>Computer chauvenism.  People will go to great lengths to "prove" that a
>feature of the operating system or hardware is what makes a particular system
>better.  Of course, we all have a vested interest in that "proof" -- we
>just don't want to believe that we bought an "outdated" computer.  Hah!

Hey, no denying that.  I have an Apple ][ that can STILL do things no other
computer can!

>People want computers (when they want them at all) to DO SOMETHING for
>them.  In the majority of cases with the Atari ST and the Amiga, that
>"something" has been:
>
>       writing stuff
>       filing stuff
>       retrieving stuff that's been filed
>       playing games
>       programming all of the above
>
>Most of those who read these forums fall under the "programming" category.
>Of course, for programmers, multitasking can be a delight.  For the person
>who is writing a term paper on the microcomputer, why bother?  If you have
>access to two programs (ala Multifinder or perhaps through a "desk
>accessory" [IBM PCs have desk accessories too, folks]) you already have
>as much power as you're ever liable to need in most environments.

One can never have enough power.  There is always an application that the
computer user eventually finds too large to put into one single task.  Your
conceptualization here depicts everyone in the world as idiots that have
neither the inclination nor the fortitude to grow or expand their own
knowledge.  Pretty damn stupid stance when talking to a forum of people
that _by their presence in this forum_ want to learn.

>It's totally "neat" to download a file and play chess at the same time.
>But I've never come across a time when it was necessary to do so.  So, let's
>get off this kick about multitasking being a "necessity" in a computing
>environment.
>
>-- Dave (I play games - and write stuff) Meile

I won't say "flame on!" because this letter is not meant to take that stance.
But, I want you to consider the foolish statements that you are throwing to
the people of this forum.  I, personally, do not own an Amiga.  But, I would
love to purchase one (when I pay off the hard drive, the modem, the car,
Christmas, etc.... :-) ).   Why? Because the Amiga represents the first TRUE
and GRANDSCALE initiative of putting a power system into the hands of the
little guy at an affordable price.  You sound (correct me if I am wrong) like
someone that is trying to justify their buying an Atari ST.  Taking that for
granted, all I can say is that I feel that you should reconsider why you
bought a computer, and not everyone else on THIS forum.  If multi-tasking
turns you off, then fine.  Yet, almost every computer user I know in Hawaii
gripes and complains about the fact that they cannot runs at least two tasks
at the same time! (Non-Amy owners, that is)

I run a bbs that works off of two ports running an emulated net.  I know, you
say, "What the heck is an emulated net?".  It is a net that is running off of
two Apple //gs's using a CMS SD80 SCSI hard drive for the networking.  Now, I
have NO fileserving capability built into the system at all, so everything I
do on it is a complete hack I put together with software to emulate the
networking of two ports into one large harddrive without crashing my
directories constantly.  Even when Apple Computers, Inc. gets off their butts
and finally releases AppleTalk's fileserver to lowly peons like me, it will
require a SEPERATE computer to run the file serving activities!  This stinks,
and I have been looking to get a system that will allow me to run UNIX (any
version) on the Amy 2000, but have been unable to find that at present.  Yet,
in the long run, I WILL lok towards getting the Amy 2000 as my central home
workstation because of the abilities that it will allow me in the home
business that I run.

That's reason 1 of a couple of thousand situations that I can think of as to
why I need multi-tasking.  If you would like, I can sit down and make out a
semi-complete list of the first thousand. :-)  Not everyone is going to play
chess and download at the same time, mate.  But, your assumption that the
average user has no use of a multi-tasking environment is really a stagnant
concept.  Unfortunately, the jerks working on CD-ROMs for the Apples, Mac's,
Amiga's, and whatever else all seem to take this same attitude to the personal
computer user.  I think the idea is that if they come out with a reasonably
priced readable/writeable/ERASEable CD environment that no one will buy it
because no personal user has a need for that much memory!  Sounds like the
same thing that they are saying, you are propagating.  I still remember
someone who sounded very much like you talking about computer memory a long
time ago.  I think he was saying something along the lines that no personal
user could EVER find a need for any application that used over 64K of
memory! :-)

Todd South

  |  Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI.                  | The more I drink,|
  |  Uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth | The more all this|
  |  Pacific Proline (808) 499-2831 -1007  2400bd | makes sense...   |