[comp.sys.amiga] Trouble with FaccII

strovink@afit-ab.arpa (Mark Strovink) (12/17/87)

Is it just me?
   When I finish running WordPerfect or dPaint II while FACC II is going,
everything freezes solid.  When I exit WordPerfect I usually get a
guru, but quitting dPaint II generally gives me a frozen Amiga (not
immediately, but before I do anything else).
   This happens when FACC is started in the startup sequence, and when it
is started from the Workbench (although starting it from the WB seems
to slow down the lockup).
   My startup sequence mounts VD0: (size of 1.5M), loads WB, copies
sys: to VD0:, assigns everything to vd0:, and starts CONMAN 1.0, WKEYS,
POPCLI III, and the new ClickUpFront.  A newcli is started and the old cli
killed.
   I am running on an Amiga 1000 with 2 drives, 512K chip, and 2M
RAM-BOard.  WB and kickstart are the latest 1.2 I know of (WB from a
2000, KS from 1.2 Enhancer).  Memory test programs don't show any
problems.
   Again, is this happening to anyone else?  If it is, let ASDG know
so they can FIX it (who wants to do without Facc?).  If it is only
me(!), WHY?!???
Mark Strovink           strovink@afit-ab.arpa
(513)878-8911
Merry Christmas everyone....

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (12/17/87)

In article <259@afit-ab.arpa>, strovink@afit-ab.arpa (Mark Strovink) writes:

>    When I finish running WordPerfect or dPaint II while FACC II is going,
> everything freezes solid.
>
>    My startup sequence mounts VD0: (size of 1.5M), loads WB, copies
>
>    I am running on an Amiga 1000 with 2 drives, 512K chip, and 2M
> RAM-BOard.

I believe your problem will be eliminated if you reduce the size of vd0:
to something a little more conserative (say 1 Meg).  As it is, you're
only leaving WordPerfect and DPaint a half a Meg of FAST to run in, and
neither is a particularly small program.  Nasty things *do* happen with
Facc if you make vd0: too large for your h/w configuration ... check the
recommendations in the Facc documentation (in the Mountlist, as I recall).

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

wen2@husc2.UUCP (wen2) (12/17/87)

In article <259@afit-ab.arpa> strovink@afit-ab.arpa (Mark Strovink) writes:
>Is it just me?
>   My startup sequence mounts VD0: (size of 1.5M), loads WB, copies
>sys: to VD0:, assigns everything to vd0:, and starts CONMAN 1.0, WKEYS,
>POPCLI III, and the new ClickUpFront.
 ^^^^^^^^^^

This could be your problem.  PopCLI III is not a recommended product--use
PopCLI II.

					Alvin Wen
					wen@husc8.HARVARD.EDU
					wen@harvsc3.BITNET

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (12/18/87)

In article <1373@husc2.UUCP>, wen2@husc2.UUCP (wen2) writes:
> In article <259@afit-ab.arpa> strovink@afit-ab.arpa (Mark Strovink) writes:
> >Is it just me?
> >   My startup sequence mounts VD0: (size of 1.5M), loads WB, copies
> >sys: to VD0:, assigns everything to vd0:, and starts CONMAN 1.0, WKEYS,
> >POPCLI III, and the new ClickUpFront.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^
> This could be your problem.  PopCLI III is not a recommended product--use
> PopCLI II.

This is news to me.  What's wrong with PopCLI III?  I've been using it
for a couple of months with nary a problem.

For the record, I use a 1.5M vd0:, wkeys, popcli III, ad nauseum, and I
only _rarely_ lose vd0:, and usually because I filled it _completely_
full then crashed.

Eric Kennedy

I think they're Dpaint II problems.

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> strovink@afit-ab.arpa (Mark Strovink) writes:
> >    When I finish running WordPerfect or dPaint II while FACC II is going,
> > everything freezes solid.
> >    My startup sequence mounts VD0: (size of 1.5M), loads WB, copies
> >    I am running on an Amiga 1000 with 2 drives, 512K chip, and 2M
> > RAM-BOard.
> I believe your problem will be eliminated if you reduce the size of vd0:
> to something a little more conserative (say 1 Meg).  As it is, you're
> only leaving WordPerfect and DPaint a half a Meg of FAST to run in, and
> neither is a particularly small program.

Since DPaint-II works fine in 512K, but screws up in my 4.5 Meg amiga with 2
Meg free, with or without FACC, I suspect that the problem is not related to
the amount of free space in RAM.

My symptoms are:

	1) Dpaint starts screwing up in Shade mode.
	2) Random junk then begins to take over the workbench screen.
	3) Finally I visit Mr. Guru.

So, I reboot to run Dpaint. Since my 4 MEG board isn't autoconfig, I can run
in 512K all I want and then reboot my 4 Meg workbench and get back all of vd0:.

Autoconfig isn't all it's cracked up to be...
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (12/24/87)

In article <259@afit-ab.arpa> strovink@afit-ab.arpa (Mark Strovink) writes:
>Is it just me?
>   When I finish running WordPerfect or dPaint II while FACC II is going,
>everything freezes solid.  When I exit WordPerfect I usually get a
>guru, but quitting dPaint II generally gives me a frozen Amiga (not
>immediately, but before I do anything else).

1. What version of Word Perfect?  They  keep  providing new ones which
   no longer crash in the  same  way  as  older ones. Specifically one
   version will crash on exit if there was a lot of memory used.
2. I will bet you that if you have Facction running ``after the crash''
   it will still be able to talk to  FaccII  showing  conclusively that
   it is not FaccII which crashed.

FaccII is  ultra tight code. I  can stand on that code. And I'm fairly
heavy. I will bet you the beer of your  choice that it isn't at fault.

Things that nobody seems to realize is that:

1. No program is aware of FaccII's existance.
2. No program interacts with FaccII.
3. Machines using FaccII use more memory than machines  that don't. You
   might be touching a flakey memory position which you otherwise never
   hit.
4. FaccII is used in exactly the same configuration all the time. By
   thousands of people. With no problem. It isn't FaccII.

In article <1294@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Autoconfig isn't all it's cracked up to be...

	Huh?  Even after reading your article, I still don't know what
precipitated this comment.  What is wrong with Autoconfig?

	BTW, whose RAM board do you have?  It may be flaky, causing your
problems with DPaint.  I have 2 megs of Autoconfig RAM, and have never had
as strange a problem as you describe with DPaint.  Of course, I don't use it
much....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac