[comp.sys.amiga] Garrison/Gauntlet

donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) (12/03/87)

     A friend just bought a copy of Garrison (sp?) for me from somewhere
in silicon valley. It is almost exactly the same game as Gauntlet which
is an arcade game.
     The sound and music are excellent. (stereo, possibly digitized) The
play action is smooth and FAST.  There is alot of action, monsters are
everywhere. They throw things, chase you, appear and dissappear, and just
generally make havoc. The programmers at Rainbow Gmbh DID GOOD! Thanks!
     Rainbow Gmbh(sp?) is a German company which does not seem to be
distributing widely in the States.  I heard a rumor that a company here
in the States is producing a game called Gauntlet and is attempting to
ban the sale of Garrison. According to the rumor the Amiga game called
Gauntlet is authorized by the makers of the arcade version.
     Does anyone know if there is any truth to these rumors?  If Gauntlet
was more like the original Gauntlet Arcade version, I would buy it TOO!
(And enjoy both!)

-- Pray for Sanity,  but don't get crazy about it.       Don White, now. --

carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) (12/09/87)

In article <550@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) writes:
>>     A friend just bought a copy of Garrison (sp?) for me from somewhere
>in silicon valley. It is almost exactly the same game as Gauntlet which
>is an arcade game.
>     The sound and music are excellent. (stereo, possibly digitized) The
>play action is smooth and FAST.  There is alot of action, monsters are
>everywhere. They throw things, chase you, appear and dissappear, and just
>generally make havoc. The programmers at Rainbow Gmbh DID GOOD! Thanks!
>-- Pray for Sanity,  but don't get crazy about it.       Don White, now. --

And it WORKS!??! A few months ago myself and 2 friends all bought copies of
Garrison, but all ended up having to return them. One copy never booted up
(on an A500), while the other two would always hang while going to a new
level. None of us were ever able to finish a game without it hanging.

I liked the game, and hated having to return it. So, now I am wondering if
this is a new release, or what? Ours were definitely European versions,
written for PAL displays because everything went off the edges of the screen
(though it didn't effect gameplay much). Is this still true? If it has been
fixed I would pick it up again (or maybe we got a whole bad batch). The game
was superbly done while it worked, the graphics and sound were truly of
arcade quality. At any rate it sure throws down the gauntlet [sick] for
Mindscape, who are doing the Amiga version of Gauntlet. They will have to
work very hard to match the graphics of Garrison, which may be why they are
upset.
--
			Carlos Smith
			uucp:...!harvard!umb!ileaf!carlos

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (12/09/87)

Mindscape is indeed working on an Amiga version of Gauntlet (they have several
other versions already), but it will not be ready until the 'first of next
year'.  I think Garrison is excellent, but the background does not scroll fast
enough to keep up with the Wizard, Valkyrie, or Elf.  I.e., if you run to the
left, you are soon at the very left edge of the screen, and your pace is
slowed down to match the pace of the scrolling background.  Makes it difficult
to see what is coming next.  I still recommend the game.
Stuart Pierce

jesup@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (12/09/87)

In article <502@io.UUCP> carlos@zapp.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
>And it WORKS!??! A few months ago myself and 2 friends all bought copies of
>Garrison, but all ended up having to return them. One copy never booted up
>(on an A500), while the other two would always hang while going to a new
>level. None of us were ever able to finish a game without it hanging.
>I liked the game, and hated having to return it.
>			Carlos Smith

Yes, it has bugs.  However, we only experience a crash once every 5 or 6
games, and they never require a reload, just a quit current game.
The graphics and sound are REALLY good.  Documentation, you ask?  What
documentation (actually, the three page sheet is enough, usually.  Play
around).
I would love it if the bugs were fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.
Though I suppose I'd be mad if it crashed on the 100th level when I had
100,000 health (fat chance, top score here is 1,042,000 on level 42(?)).
Tips:  Med-packs bring you up to 5,000 health if you're below.  Gray
potions and mishapen (sp) food are bad, shoot them and everything slows
down.  And it's LOTS easier on some levels with two players.
     //	Randell Jesup			Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer	13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	lunge!jesup@beowulf.UUCP	(518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup)

donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) (12/10/87)

In article <502@io.UUCP>, carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
> >     The sound and music are excellent. (stereo, possibly digitized) The
> >-- Pray for Sanity,  but don't get crazy about it.       Don White, now. --
>
> And it WORKS!??! A few months ago myself and 2 friends all bought copies of
> Garrison, but all ended up having to return them. One copy never booted up
> (on an A500), while the other two would always hang while going to a new
> level. None of us were ever able to finish a game without it hanging.
>
> I liked the game, and hated having to return it. So, now I am wondering if
> this is a new release, or what? Ours were definitely European versions,
> written for PAL displays because everything went off the edges of the screen
> 			Carlos Smith

     Yes, it works. It works on my A1000. I took it to a local computer store
last night and tried it on an A500.  It never booted up. It is still the PAL
european display. But it does work for me. It is a little buggy, sometimes
some of the graphics change colors or patterns, but I assumed this was due
to the extra screen data that has to dissappear. You can tell that Garrisson
is trying to write pixels ...  where no pixels have gone before. (above and
below the normal screen area. At first I thought it was vertical overscan,
then I read the English/German translations on the box (fun), and knew in a
flash that it was PAL)
The bugginess does not occur often, so I can live with it.

donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) (12/10/87)

In article <502@io.UUCP>, carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
> >     The sound and music are excellent. (stereo, possibly digitized) The
> >-- Pray for Sanity,  but don't get crazy about it.       Don White, now. --
>
> And it WORKS!??! A few months ago myself and 2 friends all bought copies of
> Garrison, but all ended up having to return them. One copy never booted up
> (on an A500), while the other two would always hang while going to a new
> leveex". None of us were ever able to finish a game without it hanging.
>
> I liked the game, and hated having to return it. So, now I am wondering if
> this is a new release, or what? Ours were definitely European versions,
> written for PAL displays because everything went off the edges of the screen
> 			Carlos Smith

     Yes, it works. It works on my A1000. I took it to a local computer store
last night and tried it on an A500.  It never booted up. It is still the PAL
european display. But it does work for me. It is a little buggy, sometimes
some of the graphics change colors or patterns, but I assumed this was due
to the extra screen data that has to dissappear. You can tell that Garrisson
is trying to write pixels ...  where no pixels have gone before. (above and
below the normal screen area. At first I thought it was vertical overscan,
then I read the English/German translations on the box (fun), and knew in a
flash that it was PAL)
The bugginess does not occur often, so I can live with it

In article <502@io.UUCP>, carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
>                 At any rate it sure throws down the gauntlet [sick] for
> Mindscape, who are doing the Amiga version of Gauntlet. They will have to
> work very hard to match the graphics of Garrison, which may be why they are
> upset.

Really? I'm a long time Gauntlet fan. Garrison seemed severely lacking in
graphics, sound, and playability when compared to the arcade version.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (12/17/87)

In article <1259@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <502@io.UUCP>, carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
>> Mindscape, who are doing the Amiga version of Gauntlet. They will have to
>> work very hard to match the graphics of Garrison, which may be why they are
>> upset.
>
>Really? I'm a long time Gauntlet fan. Garrison seemed severely lacking in
>graphics, sound, and playability when compared to the arcade version.

I may not be the best arcade-Gauntlet expert, but for my money, the
sound, graphics, and playability are very, very comparable.  Ok, so it
doesn't talk to you about "Wizard needs food, Badly!" in German; maybe
there are other minor differences in feel.  But the big win, I think,
is that Garrison has (a) tons of different screens (more than 90,
probably 128; I've been recording their names), and (b) 95% of them
are original, not just copied from the arcade game, so that one doesn't
instantly get bored from sheer familiarity.  My best game got me to
level 36 playing solo.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) (12/19/87)

In article <1259@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <502@io.UUCP>, carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
>>                 At any rate it sure throws down the gauntlet [sick] for
>> Mindscape, who are doing the Amiga version of Gauntlet. They will have to
>> work very hard to match the graphics of Garrison, which may be why they are
>> upset.
>
>Really? I'm a long time Gauntlet fan. Garrison seemed severely lacking in
>graphics, sound, and playability when compared to the arcade version.
>--
>-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter

Well, I guess that these are what you would call subjective opinions. My
friends and I were impressed by Garrison, but what the hey. I think you may
change your mind if you play with it for a while...

But it doesn't matter, because I recently saw Gauntlet on the Atari ST and it
looked REALLY sharp. So if they do their job right it should look better still
on the Amiga, given 32 colors and faster graphics, not to mention the sound.
Something to really look forward to for Gauntlet fans, and forget about this
buggy stuff like Garrison. I have little respect for people who can do nice
graphics but can't keep the thing from crashing every five minutes... Nice to
demo maybe, but don't try to sell it to people.

Don't hold your breath though. It appears that almost all of the hot new games
that were due out for Christmas are going to be late. Waaaahhhhh!!!!

--
			Carlos Smith
			uucp:...!harvard!umb!ileaf!carlos
			Bix:	carlosmith

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (12/21/87)

I have never seen Garrison crash.  Maybe I haven't put enough time into it??
Stuart Pierce

iqbal@pnet01.cts.com (Iqbal Hans) (12/21/87)

> I have never seen Garrison crash.

   I just got Garrison and it doesn't even start before it crashes! When it
asks me to enter the Scenery disk, I do and then I push the space bar. The
drive runs for a while, then my screen turns green or sometimes purplish.
Sometimes the "Please insert scenery disk" requestor comes back up. When I
push the space bar again, the disk runs for a little while, the screen turns
green (or purple) and the power light starts flashing. The machine also makes
some distorted sounds through the speaker.

   Do these colors mean anything? Is there something wrong with my system?

   Everything else seems to run fine. It's just this game that gives me the
problems.

   My system consists of:
                             A1000
                             2meg Alegra
                             Genlock 1300

        UUCP:   {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!iqbal
        ARPA:   crash!pnet01!iqbal@nosc
        INET:   iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (12/22/87)

In article <2174@crash.cts.com> iqbal@pnet01.cts.com (Iqbal Hans) writes:
>   I just got Garrison and it doesn't even start before it crashes! When it
>asks me to enter the Scenery disk, I do and then I push the space bar. The
>drive runs for a while, then my screen turns green or sometimes purplish.

A friend has the same problem.  My Garrison disk, which always boots
and only occasionally crashes on my own A1000, booted only once out of
more than 30 attempts.  Green screen and all.  He had no expansions
except a second drive.

I should add that I've been told that disconnecting the second drive
before booting Garrison helps a lot on a 512K-only Amiga.  (The second
drive device uses up too much memory.)

	Good luck,
--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (12/23/87)

If I may interject a comment here:

	Boy!  It seems to me that Garrison has too many problems.  How
can writers release programs that are that buggy?  I will never buy
this game, just because of all of the bug reports people have
mentioned.  I'll wait for Gauntlet instead.

	Also, I've seen Garrison running and the graphics just don't
seem that hot to me.  It looks as if the characters float over the
ground, not walk on it.  Again, I'll wait for Gauntler instead.

The above is just personal opionions.

						-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

kirkb@pnet01.cts.com (Kirk Baker) (12/26/87)

[]

I have Garrison v1.02.  I just got it a week ago.  I have been playing it on a
B2000 w/3meg of ram.  It has not yet crashed.  I have really abused this game.
(i.e. running ROM-Wack in the background.)  No problems at all.  What version
does everyone else have?  Mine does not seem to be a PAL version.  The screen
comes up perfectly centered.

--
Kirk Baker      {ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax}!crash!pnet01!kirkb
                (Don't use pnet01!kirkb; try crash!pnet01!kirkb -- Thanks!)

   I need more CHIMP ram.   Whaddya mean CHIMP ram?   CHIMP ram is the memory
that all of the Amiga's custom thingies get to monkey around with!