[comp.sys.amiga] Sonic Holography.

rich@eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) (11/30/87)

**** All replies to this message should be sent to
     rich@eddie.mit.edu; I do n_t read these newsgroups.  I will
     summarize and post any info I receive back to the net!

----------

     I am a musician/hacker with an interest in sonic imaging (sonic
holography).  I am familiar with the Carver sonic hologram generator
and the basic principle used by the device.  However, I recently became
aware of some experimental techniques in this area that are based, so
I've been told, on some of same principles used in modern
radarequiptment (E.G. for beam steering).  Unfortunately, I forget the
jargon term used to describe the process, but its something like "phase
encoding ... :-)." Does anyone out there have any info on this?

     In order to experiment with sonic holography, I would like to
     obtain a computer which is suitable for real-time audio
processing. I'm sorta familiar with the Amiga, and less so with the
Mac.  The Amiga, as I understand, has a special]purpose chip used
exclusively for audio signal processing, as well as A/D and D/A
hardware in the basic system box.  Whatyis the speed and resolution of
the hardware?  I was under the impression hhat the sample size is only
8 bits (poor resolution if ya ask me).  What is thM?hhardware on the
Mac like?

      As I see it, my choice of what system to buy is based on the
      following.  First, I need a fast processor (at least 1 mip +), I
would estimate at least 1 meg of ram (more is always better), and an
environment flexable enough to facilitate large-scale program
developement (E.G. UNIX or equivalent).  Secondly, I am blind, so I
don't want hardware/software hooked to a grmphical user interface
(gimme a good old command-lin5-interpreter like CSH and I'll be
happy).  From what I understand, graphical user interfaces are an
integral part of todays music type software (samplers, sequencers
etc.), as well as machines/os's like the Mac and Amiga.  Does anyone
know to what extent this is true, and how I might avoid this trap?

     Thanx for your help.  Any information/comments will be most
apriciated.  Please send all replies to me, however, for I don't read
these Newsgroups!!!

--
						-- Rich (rich@eddie.mit.edu).
	The circle is open, but unbroken.

Sonic holograms ? Yes, a friend of mine has a Carver as well. Mighty
impressive.

I'd be interested in whatever anybody has along these lines for
the Amiga.

Plus, there is an audio illusion I've been looking for, for quite
a while now. Basically it is an ever increasing tone.

There was a display at the Ontario Science center, ohh, 12 years or so
ago, about MC Escher, that had a ball bouncing "up" an ever increasing
staircase, with this tone, going up in pitch.

It went up in pitch for the 1/2 hour I stood there. :-)

Any clues ?

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

wilson@rocky.UUCP (12/04/87)

>There was a display at the Ontario Science center, ohh, 12 years or so
>ago, about MC Escher, that had a ball bouncing "up" an ever increasing
>staircase, with this tone, going up in pitch.
>
>It went up in pitch for the 1/2 hour I stood there. :-)

The effect you are looking for is produced by having two tones, one an
octave above the other.  As they rise in unison, the lower tone slowly
becomes louder and the higher one becomes softer, until when they have
gone up an octave, the upper tone has completely died out and the
lower is where the upper started.  Then you bring in a weak tone where
the lower one started, and repeat.  The ear fools you into thinking it
is rising forever.

It might work better with more than two tones at octave intervals, but
the idea is the same.

Randy

rodney@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck) (12/05/87)

I was at the New York City Audio Engineer Society convention last month, there was a
company there which was selling compact disks of "holograms".  The demonstration was
really impressive.  There was definitely a 3D effect especially the haircut thing where
they have scissors going around you head and they trim the back with an electric
razor. All with a standard CD player and ordinary headphones.
   Rodney Peck
   Rodney_Peck@rpitsmts%itsgw.rpi.edu

dar@telesoft.UUCP (12/05/87)

The classic tone which constantly rises in pitch is called a Sheppard's
tone (spelling?).  It is very well know in psycho-acoustic circles.  It is
fairly easy to compute the samples for on a computer (e.g. something
running CMusic), but would probably be tricky on a MIDI synth - largely a
matter of blending amplitudes/spectra correctly.

Diana Deutch, of the Univ. of Calif. San Diego, played Sheppard's tones
and other interesting audible illusions at an Audio Engineering Society
(AES) convention in Los Angeles (perhaps '82?).  Also, Roderer's "The
Physics and Psycoacoustics of Musical Sound" (or something like that - the
bibliography part of my brain is off-line at the moment) probably
discusses it in detail.  Any good university library should have MANY