[comp.sys.amiga] PageSetter with Gemini-10x

cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) (11/22/87)

	Has anyone tried using PageSetter with the Gemini-10x printer.
Whenever I use the Gemini-10x every couple of lines the text outputted
from a page layout is squashed or partially inverted.  I tried using
the Epson drivers in addition to the Gemini-10x driver with no success.
However, the Okidata 192 driver worked perfectly with an Okidata 193
thats hooked up to my friend's IBM.  Is there a problem with the Epson
drivers or could it actually be a problem with my printer?

	This problem has put me in a big predicament as I have hours of
worked done in creating reports and documentation which I can't print
out! Its these times that you wish you had a Macintosh.

				Wilson Cheung

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (11/30/87)

In article <1225@vu-vlsi.UUCP>, cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) writes:
> 	Has anyone tried using PageSetter with the Gemini-10x printer.
> Whenever I use the Gemini-10x every couple of lines the text outputted
> from a page layout is squashed or partially inverted.  I tried using
> the Epson drivers in addition to the Gemini-10x driver with no success.
> However, the Okidata 192 driver worked perfectly with an Okidata 193
> thats hooked up to my friend's IBM.  Is there a problem with the Epson
> drivers or could it actually be a problem with my printer?

   The Epson driver won't work because the Gemeni isn't quite Epson
compatible - for some strange reason Gemini uses different characters
for two of the graphics mode escape sequences (I think the double and
quadrouple densities, but I'm not sure).  Perhaps the Pagesetter people
just copied over their Epson driver and called it a Gemini one.  I dunno.

>      Its these times that you wish you had a Macintosh.

	Unless you need to do more than one thing at once ... (insert
overworked Mac can't multitask well arguement here).

mrr@amanpt1.UUCP (12/03/87)

In article <22@hrsw2.UUCP>, bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) writes:
> In article <1225@vu-vlsi.UUCP>, cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) writes:
> > 	Has anyone tried using PageSetter with the Gemini-10x printer.
> > Whenever I use the Gemini-10x every couple of lines the text outputted
> > from a page layout is squashed or partially inverted.

I have a similar complaint.  Last night I spent a couple of hours trying to
use PageSetter with my Epson LQ-800.  At a couple of places on the page, a
blank gap appeared across the width of the page, splitting the text and
rendering it unreadable.  All of the text that wasn't thus affected was very
pleasing to the eye.

I'm using "my own" LQ-800 printer driver, adapted from the Commodore Epson
driver.  I get excellent results with DPaint II, so I'm pretty sure that my
driver isn't buggy.  I also have a hunch that PageSetter might not be using
the Preferences settings.  My driver uses different density modes, based on
the Letter/Draft and 6 LPI / 8 LPI settings, with Draft/6 LPI being noticeably
faster.  Changing these settings made no apparent difference with PageSetter.

I've grown pretty much disenchanted with my Amiga/LQ-800 combination and its
prospects for ever generating quality output as I've seen/created on the
Macintosh with ImageWriter II.  I would like to hear from someone who has
a similar configuration, hopefully with better results than I'm getting.

> > 				Wilson Cheung

	Mark
--
< Mark R. Rinfret,        mrr@amanpt1 | ...rayssd!galaxia!amanpt1!mrr        >
< Aquidneck Management Associates       Home: 401-846-7639                   >

cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) (12/28/87)

	I have been having a lot of trouble trying to get Pagesetter to
work properly with the Star micronics Gemini-10x printer.  I have been
already told that the Epson driver has a different vertical dot density
than the Gemini-10x and therefore causes occasional squashing of text
output.
	Therefore, I spent some time using the PrtDrvGen utility on
Fred Fish #90.  After some struggling I finally got a working driver
that could handle screen dumps from the graphic dump utility on the
Workbench 1.2 disk.  However, when used with Pagesetter nothing
worked.  I diverted output from the PRT: device to a file then examined
the contents.  It seemed for some reason the driver thought it was dumping
text rather than graphics and instead of setting the proper control
characters to put my printer into graphics mode, it started setting the
pitch, tabs, and margins and then starting sending sending a bunch of
bit mapped data which of course sent my printer through crazy gyrations.

	I checked that I set all the required parameters for the four
possible densities of the printer driver.  Could someone assist me?

				Wilson Cheung