[comp.sys.amiga] help with cursor keys problem with my A2000

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (12/13/87)

I just traded my A1000 in for a new A2000.  I have encountered a
rather bizarre problem with my new A2000's cursor (arrow) keys.

The problem is simply that the arrow keys don't transmit the correct
ASCII sequences.  Here is what they do transmit:

Key		    ASCII sequence transmitted
up arrow        ESC O A \ = - 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 `
right arrow     ESC O C DEL ' ; l k j h g f d s a
left arrow      ESC O D RET ] [ p o i u y t r e w q TAB
down arrow      ESC O B CTRL/H SPC / . , m n b v c x z

You'll notice that these rather long sequences include sequences that
you would get if you typed rows of keys backwards.

This problem occurs with both the vanilla WorkBench 1.2 that I got
with the A2000, and with the old copy of Workbench 1.2 that I had with
my old A1000.  It occurs with all software:  Basic, Ed, etc.

Do I have a defective keyboard (as I suspect), or am I doing something
wrong?  If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, please email them to me
at the address below.  Thanx very much for your help!

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

In article <19429@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

> I just traded my A1000 in for a new A2000.  I have encountered a
> rather bizarre problem with my new A2000's cursor (arrow) keys.
>
> The problem is simply that the arrow keys don't transmit the correct
> ASCII sequences.  Here is what they do transmit:
>
> Key		    ASCII sequence transmitted
> up arrow        ESC O A \ = - 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 `
> right arrow     ESC O C DEL ' ; l k j h g f d s a
> left arrow      ESC O D RET ] [ p o i u y t r e w q TAB
> down arrow      ESC O B CTRL/H SPC / . , m n b v c x z
>

> You'll notice that these rather long sequences include sequences that
> you would get if you typed rows of keys backwards.
>
> This problem occurs with both the vanilla WorkBench 1.2 that I got
> with the A2000, and with the old copy of Workbench 1.2 that I had with
> my old A1000.  It occurs with all software:  Basic, Ed, etc.
>
> Do I have a defective keyboard (as I suspect), or am I doing something
> wrong?

You seem to have a badly broken keyboard.

Please people, when you find problems like this or other hardware problems/
guru's/blinking LEDs right out of the box, don't delay but get the machine
back to the dealer.  If whatever you are trying to do works on another
machine, it's a pretty good sign that your machine is broken.  If it's
bad right out of the box (DOA) you should be able to exchange it for a
good unit.  If you wait, the problem becomes a warranty repair issue and
even if you don't have to pay for it, you and your newly purchased machine
are going to be separated for a while.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr