[comp.sys.amiga] Question for CATS: What is the Fast File System?

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (12/24/87)

I think I missed the boat.  I don't know what it is.  I could guess, but
I'd rather get the facts from the source.

1. What is the Fast File System?
2. What are it's advantages?
3. In what release of AmigaDos is it expected to be included?

 - and the bonus question -

4. Will it support hard drives with > 55M (or whatever is the current limit)?

I appreciate your help!

Sean
--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@UKMA.BITNET
--  (the Empire guy)         {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (12/28/87)

In article <7950@g.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>I think I missed the boat.  I don't know what it is.  I could guess, but
>I'd rather get the facts from the source.
>
>1. What is the Fast File System?

It is an alternate file system that can be mounted onto any hard drive
you can attach to your Amiga.  It is slightly incompatible with the floppy
format and will therefore not work with our current floppies.

>2. What are it's advantages?

S-P-E-E-D !
Old bugs fixed.
No longer in BCPL (actually it's pure assembler).
etc. etc.

>3. In what release of AmigaDos is it expected to be included?

The fast filing system will be released on it's own with a new mount command
that understands FileSystem=l:newfs.  When the next ROM release (major release
that is) comes out, fast filing system will be in there with some back coding
to support the old format too.  We are currently in the testing stage, RSN.
Actually, I'm not real sure on the dates, maybe Andy can shed some light on
this subject.

> - and the bonus question -
>
>4. Will it support hard drives with > 55M (or whatever is the current limit)?

Yes!  FFS supports partitions and files up to 2.5 Gigabytes.

>I appreciate your help!

Your welcome.

>Sean
	Steve Beats