[comp.sys.amiga] Lattice 4.0 versus Manx 3.4

tdwest@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry D. West) (12/17/87)

In article <1759@unicus.UUCP> craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) writes:

>With two relatively new compilers around, it's time to get into flame wars:

I'm game :-)

>Who has used Lattice C 4.0 and/or Manx C 3.4 ?
>
>Lattice, in their ads, claim:
>
>		Lattice 4.0			Manx 3.40
>		-----------			---------
>		1294 Dhrystones	versus 		1010
>		IEEE Float in 22.2 s	versus 	98.85 s
>		FFP Float in 10.16 s 	versus	17.60 s
>		IEEE Savage in 47.67 s	versus	119.6 s
>			at .000000318		at .000109
>			accuracy		accuracy

Am I wrong or does the Manx have NO optimizer (yet) as opposed to Lattice
which does?  Most of the Manx compilers do not have optimizers (yet)
with the exception of the Z80 one.  Research in Motion Ltd. in Waterloo,
Canada produced that one... who knows if they will go on to do it
for the other Manx compilers...

--

Terry D. West
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/19/87)

tdwest@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry D. West) wrote:
>Am I wrong or does the Manx have NO optimizer (yet) as opposed to Lattice
>which does?

Lattice does not have an optimizer on their compiler.  They were
working on one, but the person doing the optimizer left Lattice for a
competitor (not in the Amiga market).  Eventually Lattice might finish
the optimizer, especially since they've been absorbed by SAS, but
today they don't have one.

Manx also does not have an optimizer.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I've never liked reality all that much, but I haven't found a

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (12/27/87)

In article <2151@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> tdwest@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry D. West) wrote:
> >Am I wrong or does the Manx have NO optimizer (yet) as opposed to Lattice
> >which does?
> Lattice does not have an optimizer on their compiler.
Actually, Lattice has always had an optimizer built into the compiler.  The
first phase performs local common sub-expression elimination and the second
phase will do forward scope optimization of register contents.  While these are
not a global optimizer, they have a significant impact on the code quality.

/*---------------------All standard Disclaimers apply---------------------*/
/*----Working for but not officially representing SAS or Lattice Inc.-----*/
/*----John A. Toebes, VIII             usenet:...!mcnc!rti!sas!toebes-----*/

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/30/87)

Sorry for not being specific .. Lattice does not have a global optimizer,
nor does Manx.  Lattice used to be working on one but the writer left
Lattice, development may have been picked up by somebody else.

..Bob