[comp.sys.amiga] Virus flame!

itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) (12/28/87)

This is to the person who wrote Virus (and any clones thereof) (especially
because he is probably proud of it!):

Your *nifty* *clever* program is the same as the *nifty*
*clever* scheme of placing cyanide in Tylenol capsules without anyone
knowing.  The situation is identical although the punishment not
quite as extreme.  You are hurting people you don't know in order
to show that you can do it.

An innocent gets burned: Apparently virus doesn't work too good on the A2000.
I was at the dealer.  A tiny woman had come in carrying the A2000 that she
had bought for her son and was returning it for a second time.  She already
owned a 500.  Apparently she had tried some infected games from the 500
very shortly after plugging it in.  It wouln't work.  Then she tried
Workbench - wouldn't boot.  She tried it on the 500 and it worked.  That
looked like a bad 2000.  She brought it back.  They tested it and it worked
fine.  They said it might be her power or interference.  She carried it
back home.  She bought a line filter and also moved her TV! and her 500!
Same problem.  On the second go around (this is the one I observed), she
brought back the whole thing including the Workbench.  It was then the
dealer noticed the sabotage and fixed her workbench and gave her a copy of
the virus checker (semi-happy ending).

MAY VIRUS BE THE ONLY THING YOU ARE REMEMBERED FOR.
MAY YOUR VIRUS REPUTATION FOLLOW YOU AND NO EMPLOYER EVER GIVE A
CRIMINAL LIKE YOU A JOB.
MAY YOU FOREVER BE KNOWN AS A 'HACKER' AND NOT A PROGRAMMER.
MAY ^%$%$##@#%^^*&^%$#@#.
MAY YOU ATTEMPT TO ANSWER THIS FLAME AND EXPOSE YOURSELF AS THE VILLIAN
THAT YOU ARE.

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (12/30/87)

In article <170@mithras> itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) writes:
>This is to the person who wrote Virus (and any clones thereof) (especially
>because he is probably proud of it!):

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

I was afraid this was going to happen. I figured if I posted the letter
some bright soul would figure out that the supposed author monitors
usenet. This may be true, but so do I. PLEASE PLEASE do not tie up
net bandwidth with useless flames to the VIRUS author!! I know you all
have alot you would like to say to him but he will be the only one that
won't get tired of reading flames. So lets just bag that idea. Besides
do you really think he is enough of a moron to answer?

Bill Koester (CATS)          >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd. UUCP ..{allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		             PHONE  (215) 431-9355

In article <170@mithras> itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) writes:
>This is to the person who wrote Virus (and any clones thereof) (especially
>because he is probably proud of it!):
>
>MAY VIRUS BE THE ONLY THING YOU ARE REMEMBERED FOR.
>MAY YOUR VIRUS REPUTATION FOLLOW YOU AND NO EMPLOYER EVER GIVE A
>CRIMINAL LIKE YOU A JOB.
>MAY YOU FOREVER BE KNOWN AS A 'HACKER' AND NOT A PROGRAMMER.
>MAY YOU ATTEMPT TO ANSWER THIS FLAME AND EXPOSE YOURSELF AS THE VILLIAN
>THAT YOU ARE.

I know this is kinda severe, but, what about making him use an ST ? ;-)

--
    Its too dark to put my keys in Santa Fe, or something like that.
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM