[comp.sys.amiga] VI update

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (12/22/87)

[][][][][][][][][]

As I am still (miraculously and temporarily) able to use my Unix
account, I thought I would say that within a week or two my vi emulator
for the Uedit text editor should be coming down comp.sources.amiga.  I
still need to make a few fixes for version 1.1, and then I'll be sending
it off to Purdue.  Also, the small version of Uedit itself should be
coming along with it, so you can get everything you need at once.

If you find yourself typing 'jjjlllk' in every other text editor, this
setup is a must!

New features in version 1.1:
  -some of the simpler extended commands
  -tags, complete with ctags utility
  -yank and put (these work _right_ this time)

plus general bug fixes, both in VI! and Uedit.

Eric Kennedy

vi is on the way ?

somebody shoot it before it gets here...

--
          "Well, they say that Santa Fe is less than 90 miles away"

  richard@gryphon.CTS.COM || {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!richard

itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) (12/24/87)

Concerning the VI editor for the Amiga ...

Manz has a version of it (called "Z").  It performs very nicely and
even resizes the text if you re-size the window.  It is not completely
Unix vi compatible but is close enough for me.

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (12/25/87)

In article <165@obi-wan> itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) writes:

>Concerning the VI editor for the Amiga ...
>
>Manz has a version of it (called "Z").  It performs very nicely and
>even resizes the text if you re-size the window.  It is not completely
>Unix vi compatible but is close enough for me.

    They also have a version for MS-DOS (BridgeBoard :-) called "Z".
    I use both the Amiga and MS-DOS versions along with the real thing
    (VI) here on our Vax and have never had any compatiblity problems.

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (12/26/87)

In article <165@obi-wan>, itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) writes:

> Concerning the VI editor for the Amiga ...
>
> Manz has a version of it (called "Z").  It performs very nicely and
> even resizes the text if you re-size the window.  It is not completely
> Unix vi compatible but is close enough for me.

I am aware of the existance of Z.  I have it myself.  The nice thing
about this Uedit-VI! combo is that you don't have to buy the $300
developer's version C compiler if you don't want to.  Uedit is
Shareware--$45, and for my money the best shareware program I've ever
seen.  And yes, I've seen some of the successful shareware programs in
the IBM PC world.  The VI! configuration itself is free.  At this point
in time, Z is a better emulation of vi than my emulator, but the version
I'm about to release has some major improvements over the first version,
which not many people have anyway.  In addition to almost every
available visual command, it now includes macros, extended commands, and
tags.  When I am finished with it, I intend it to be a closer imitation
of vi than Z.  (It already includes features left out of Z, like saving
your last ten deletions.)  Plus, (big plus here)  you get all of the
advantages of Uedit.  Complete customizability.  Powerful macro
language.  Edit up to 35 files at once.  Onscreen help.  And it's as
bullet proof as I've seen them come.  I've been using and programming
Uedit extensively for almost a year, and I've never crashed it.
Not rarely.  Not infrequently.  Never.  How many programs can you say
that about?

Eric Kennedy
Developer of VI!, a configuration for Uedit

phils@tekig.TEK.COM (Phil Staub) (12/30/87)

In article <3015@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>In article <165@obi-wan> itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) writes:
>>
>>Concerning the VI editor for the Amiga ...
>>
>>Manz has a version of it (called "Z").  It performs very nicely and
>>even resizes the text if you re-size the window.  It is not completely
>>Unix vi compatible but is close enough for me.
>
>    They also have a version for MS-DOS (BridgeBoard :-) called "Z".
>    I use both the Amiga and MS-DOS versions along with the real thing
>    (VI) here on our Vax and have never had any compatiblity problems.
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess I wonder what you mean by compatibility problems. If you mean the
two are _essentially_ the same, I guess I'd have to agree. However, I can
cite a good many differences which have caused me some degree of heartburn.
Things like no "ignore case" on searches, no wrapmargin, no "global" option
for search/replace, as in ":g/hello/s//HELLO/g" (yes, I know that
":1,$s/hello/HELLO/g" does the same thing, but the "g" is easier to use).

Basically, several of the options I use in my EXINIT on unix are not
supported in Z:

    setenv EXINIT "se ai ic showmatch nowrapscan magic redraw
				shiftwidth=4 wm=4 tabstop=8"

Of these Z only supports ai, nowrapscan, magic, and tabstop (sort of).

Nevertheless, I still find Z a very useful editor. Several times I've
switched to another flavor of editor and have always returned to a vi
lookalike, because it's the only editor which seems to be available in some
form or another on nearly every machine I've ever laid my hands on. (I can
feel the flames of the emacs'ers heating up right now, but it has been my
experience when I walk up to somebody's machine, it will have either vi or
vi and emacs both, but seldom only emacs. My experience. Not to be construed
as a statement of general fact.)

Oh well. Enough of this drivel. Summary: I use both vi and Z. They are
significantly alike, but there are several differences which I wish weren't
there.

>--
>   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
>   Commodore AMIGA			Bix: dschein	     Plink: Dan*CATS
>   1200 Wilson Drive			phone: (215) 431-9100	   ext. 9542
>   West Chester PA 19380
>   All spelling mistakes are a result of my efforts to avoid education  :-)
>        I help Commodore by supporting the AMIGA. Commodore supports
>         me by allowing me to form my own suggestions and comments.

	-Phil

Phil Staub                     "I do NOT approve. I merely said I UNDERSTAND."
tektronix!tekigm2!phils                                              - Spock
phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM