[comp.sys.amiga] Update/fix for arpdocs.2

doug@somewhere.UUCP (12/26/87)

The table of contents in the original posting of arpdocs, part 2 (AmigaDOS
Replacement Project library documentation) contains some small mistakes
(see comp.binaries.amiga for the original).  This posting provides a correct
table of contents which is sorted by the order of appearance of the functions
within the manual (the original table of contents was unsorted). Some other
errata are also listed. I have sent a copy of this to the comp.binaries.amiga
moderator, but am posting here as well due to pessimism about reaching him
right away. Besides which, this is a "discussion" posting.

These corrections are intended simply to facilitate people's use of the
document; no criticism is intended. In fact, I commend the authors of ARP
on their fine work. I have no connection with the ARP project myself.
Apparently a new version of these documents will be out fairly shortly;
perhaps the ARP folks themselves will find this stuff useful in making
corrections to the original. It'd be nice if someone would make sure that
they see this.

Please note that my return address must be explicitly typed; "reply"
will not work because our brain-damaged mail system has already destroyed
my return path by the time you see it.

	Doug Merritt		ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug
			-or-	hatcher@postgres.berkeley.edu

Errata:

Items marked with '*' in the left margin in the list below did not appear in
the original table of contents, although there is a manual page for them.
'Getenv' was incorrectly spelled 'GetEnv' in the original table of contents.
The function 'FreeTaskResources' appeared in the original table of contents
but is not otherwise referred to in the rest of the document, and hence was
deleted from the new table of contents.

Items marked with '+' in the left margin do not have their name
at the top of the page of their manual entries (in the form
"arp.doc/QSort (V31)"); these pages should be updated to conform to
the appearance of the rest of the manual pages.

Throughout the manual, page breaks marked with a control-L character
were transformed into the two character sequence ^ (caret) L (capital
L) sometime prior to arrival at this site. A global search and replace
should be done to fix this prior to printing the manual to ensure that
each entry begins on a new page.

Each function name in the table of contents is now numbered sequentially
to aid in correction. Note that these numbers will become obsolete the
moment that the original authors change their documents (i.e. don't use
them for anything once you've applied the corrections).

Items to be fixed:

*  23 arp.doc/Getenv
*  25 arp.doc/CompareLock
*  30 arp.doc/Strcmp
*  31 arp.doc/Strncmp
*  32 arp.doc/QSort
 + 33 arp.doc/FileRequest
 + 34 arp.doc/CloseWindowSafely
*+ 35 arp.doc/AddDANode
*+ 36 arp.doc/AddDADevs
*+ 37 arp.doc/FreeDAList
*+ 38 arp.doc/FindTaskResList
 + 39 arp.doc/ArpExit
*  40 arp.doc/CreateTaskResList
*  45 arp.doc/GetTracker
*  47 arp.doc/FreeTaskResList
*  48 arp.doc/FreeTrackedItem
*  49 arp.doc/GetAccess
*  50 arp.doc/FreeAccess

Finally, here's the replacement table of contents (clip and insert in
original document in place of old t.o.c.). You should first delete the
"CLIP HERE" and "END OF CLIPPING" lines before and after the t.o.c. itself.

---------------------CLIP HERE -- CUT HERE -- DRILL (A.F.) HERE --------------

TABLE OF CONTENTS (in order of appearance in the document)

   01 arp.doc/DosAllocMem
   02 arp.doc/DosFreeMem
   03 arp.doc/Printf
   04 arp.doc/FPrintf
   05 arp.doc/CreatePort
   06 arp.doc/DeletePort
   07 arp.doc/InitStdPacket
   08 arp.doc/SendPacket
   09 arp.doc/EscapeString
   10 arp.doc/PathName
   11 arp.doc/ReadLine
   12 arp.doc/Atol
   13 arp.doc/Puts
   14 arp.doc/GetDevInfo
   15 arp.doc/Assign
   16 arp.doc/BtoCStr
   17 arp.doc/CtoBStr
   18 arp.doc/FindProcess
   19 arp.doc/CheckAbort
   20 arp.doc/CheckBreak
   21 arp.doc/GADS
   22 arp.doc/GetDataSegment
   23 arp.doc/Getenv
   24 arp.doc/Setenv
   25 arp.doc/CompareLock
   26 arp.doc/PatternMatch
   27 arp.doc/FindFirst
   28 arp.doc/FindNext
   29 arp.doc/FreeAnchorChain
   30 arp.doc/Strcmp
   31 arp.doc/Strncmp
   32 arp.doc/QSort
   33 arp.doc/FileRequest
   34 arp.doc/CloseWindowSafely
   35 arp.doc/AddDANode
   36 arp.doc/AddDADevs
   37 arp.doc/FreeDAList
   38 arp.doc/FindTaskResList
   39 arp.doc/ArpExit
   40 arp.doc/CreateTaskResList
   41 arp.doc/ArpAllocMem
   42 arp.doc/ArpOpen
   43 arp.doc/ArpDupLock
   44 arp.doc/ArpLock
   45 arp.doc/GetTracker
   46 arp.doc/ArpAlloc
   47 arp.doc/FreeTaskResList
   48 arp.doc/FreeTrackedItem
   49 arp.doc/GetAccess
   50 arp.doc/FreeAccess
----------------------------- END OF CLIPPING ---------------------------

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (12/28/87)

In article <8712270341.AA28494@unisoft.UniSoft> doug@somewhere.UUCP writes:
>The table of contents in the original posting of arpdocs, part 2 (AmigaDOS
>Replacement Project library documentation) contains some small mistakes
>(see comp.binaries.amiga for the original).

Is this actually in circulation yet on the binaries newsgroup? The reason that
I ask is that the AUX: device, Bryce's DeadKeyConvert(), and now this are
three things which I've seen mentioned as being available in the mod groups
(the AUX: device a fairly long time back) but have never arrived here.

I've suggested to the moderators that they post occasional pointers here to
what has been posted, because if it wasn't for coincidental references like
this there would be no way to track down problems in distribution.

John
--
" 'Emergency room'! AUUUGGGH! That's where I'll be going."
"It looks like she needs to have this Bonus Round pumped out of her!"

Is the ARP getenv/setenv compatible with Manx?

Also, the UNIX name for "setenv" is "putenv". I think the ARP name should
match, don't you?
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.