[comp.sys.amiga] When you wish upon a star...

Time for the Expatriate Aussie to post his Top Three 1.3 wishes (the ones
that haven't yet been responded to, even by a "we can't do that because...").

	1) Make WorkBench more useful: at least add a menu switch to have ALL
	   files show up with some sorta default icons. Even having the names
	   show up as the icons. Right now, it's almost a useful tool. Some
	   sort of facility is needed, witness all the "disk utility" programs.

	2) Make workbench more useful: let people drag windows partly off the
	   screen. I can't think of any good reason to prevent this: almost
	   all the code to do this already exists to handle the case of
	   dragging a window behind another window. Think of it as a "virtual
	   workbench". It'd also be a bonus for 90% of the programs that open
	   their own screens!

	3) Make workbench more useful: implement the "drop a file in kick-off".
	   When you pick up a file and drop it on another icon, kick off the
	   icon you dropped it in as if you'd clicked the first and shift-
	   double-clicked the second. A lot of the code for *this* already
	   exists to support dropping an icon in a directory icon. As an added
	   bonus you'll add more distance between you and the Mac if Apple gets
	   antsy about look-and-feel.

I lied -- there are more than 3:

	4) Add a preferences setting (or something) for "pop-up"
	   menus. Instead of having the menu pop up at the top of the screen
	   when you hit the menu button, you'd have it pop up under the cursor.
	   Make the workbench much faster to work with *and* make the machine
	   less Mac like.

	5) Have PutIcon and PutDiskObject send a message to the Workbench to
	   tell it to refresh its windows.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (12/27/87)

In article <1307@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>	2) Make workbench more useful: let people drag windows partly off the
>	   screen. I can't think of any good reason to prevent this: almost

This one I have to disagree with. Consider:

- you can do it with morerows (perhaps you mean add an option for a morerowed
screen in Preferences? That one I could like.)
- this would eat some chip memory, which is already in short supply for some
applications
- if it was done with morerows, a lot of windows would open to the full size
of the window (partially off the screen)
- windows that move around by themselves (eg the MCLI that WordPerfect does)
or change their own size (eg DME windows when iconifying) or even just small
windows could easily get lost off the edges of the screen. This one worries me
the most as far as novice users are concerned, since I've seen many "lost"
windows under morerows with a non-adjusted monitor and I'm uncomfortable with
yet another feature to which a warning must be attached, "Don't do this unless
you know what you're doing". Trust me, it's very confusing to someone who wants
their computer easy to use to have to memorize a lot of caveats.

Now, to be open minded:

What sort of size limitations are imposed upon Mac windows? The way to code
Peter's suggestion, it would seem to me, would be to prevent prevent the window
from being moved partially off the screen unless

Window->MinHeight > Screen->Bottom_Hidden_Area	&&
Window->MinWidth > Screen->Right_Hidden_Area + CLOSEGADGETWIDTH

so you would be guaranteed that at least part of the drag bar would always
be accessible.

John
--
To preserve deniability, I have not informed the University of this posting.
But if I had, they would have been 100% behind it, yessirree bob.

In article <4325@garfield.UUCP>, john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
> In article <1307@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >	2) Make workbench more useful: let people drag windows partly off the
> >	   screen. I can't think of any good reason to prevent this: almost
> This one I have to disagree with. Consider:
> - you can do it with morerows (perhaps you mean add an option for a morerowed
> screen in Preferences? That one I could like.)

Nope, you can't. A 24 line by 80 column window is too large for you to pull
aside and expose the workbench disk icons, even with the most more-rowed screen
I can stand. Interlace is out unless you like eyestrain.

> - this would eat some chip memory, which is already in short supply for some
> applications

It would take up no more memory than having those same windows partly hidden
behind other windows. Zero if no windows have been dragged off-screen or
only simple-refresh windows have.

> - if it was done with morerows, a lot of windows would open to the full size
> of the window (partially off the screen)

The full size of the workbench (and other) screen would not change. What
would change would be the behaviour of ResizeWindow and MoveWindow (and
whatever routines Intuition calls when you drag a window) so that
windows would be clipped when you got to the edge of the screen instead
of crashing the system. I see where you're confused, now. I'm not
advocating increasing the size of the workbench screen. I'm advocating
changing the way windows behave when they overlap the edge of the
bitmap. As an experiment open three console windows. Arrange them like
so:

			 +--------+
			 |CON  ||||
			 +--------+
       +----+		 |        |
       |    |		 |        |
       +----+		 |        |
			 |        |
			 |        |
			 |        |
			 |        |
  +-------------------------------+
  |CON                         ||||
  +-------------------------------+
  |                               |
  +-------------------------------+

Now click the little one to the back. Drag it so that it's partially
behind the other two. Imagine that the other two ar the edge of the
screen. Where's that window's bitmap now? Partially in a save space.
Same thing would happen in my scenario. Since the mouse would still be
constrained to the existing workbench area you couldn't size the sucker
offsecreen and you couldn't drag it entirely offscreen. You'd have to
have at least one pixel onscreen just from the mechanics of the thing.

> - windows that move around by themselves (eg the MCLI that WordPerfect does)
> or change their own size (eg DME windows when iconifying) or even just small
> windows could easily get lost off the edges of the screen.

Nope, because NormalDisplayRows and NormalDisplayColumns would stay the
same, so MCLI and DME wouldn't know about the extra space.

> What sort of size limitations are imposed upon Mac windows?

I don't know. They're all simple-refresh, by the way, so they don't take
up any space while offscreen.

Since windows can't be dragged anywhere you can't move the pointer,
there's no problem. If you could move the pointer there to drag 'em, you
can move the pointer there to get 'em back.