[comp.sys.amiga] One more modem Please!

joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) (12/16/87)

  How can I hook up a second modem to my A1000?

ans@well.UUCP (Anne Schweizer) (12/18/87)

I could also need (*some*) additional serial ports... (running a bbs)
Does there exist such a card for the A1000 or A2000 ?

 -Anne.

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (12/18/87)

In article <4300@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:

>  How can I hook up a second modem to my A1000?

This is as good a time as any to start a new discussion on the net, so,
if you were building a second serial port for the Amiga, would you:

A:	Rewrite the serial.device so that it supports you or the
	built in port.  Address each as seperate unit numbers.

B:	Write a second serial device called something else and
	expect that programmers will allow users to open a named
	device, or mount the device as SER2: and use from the
	CLI.

Then comes all the other questions:

What do you do about preferences?  Currently you can only open the
onboard ports for the printer.device to talk to, how do you change that
for good, so that you can hang a serial printer on the new port.

How do you get software designers to acknowledge your board, in either
of the above situations the software designer has to either allow the
user to open the serial.device with a specific unit number, or has to
allow you to open a named device (like I want to open the parallel.device
and run a terminal program between two Amigas!).  Or do we send the
programmers to talk to Dos Devices and open SER2:?

What do you do if you decide to just rewrite the serial.device, and then
someone else builds their own board and they rewrite the serial.device
also, the user is going to start getting confused.  If there are any
people out there working on serial boards and you want to be compatible
in such situations, please get in contact with me here or on Bix I am
known as Infinity, but I am never logged on there, as I can't use Emacs!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Ok, that is where I was about two weeks ago, I have pondered these questions
for some time, I have spoken with Bart@Amiga and Bryce@Hoser at length, and
we have not answered all these questions.  Is anyone interested in getting
in on this?  Anybody working on Telecommunications software?  Tony of VT100
fame?  Maybe the Max Elbowroom guys...?
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

jesup@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (12/18/87)

In article <6327@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>In article <4300@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:
>>  How can I hook up a second modem to my A1000?
>What do you do if you decide to just rewrite the serial.device, and then
>someone else builds their own board and they rewrite the serial.device
>also, the user is going to start getting confused.  If there are any
>people out there working on serial boards and you want to be compatible
>in such situations, please get in contact with me here or on Bix I am
>known as Infinity, but I am never logged on there, as I can't use Emacs!
>
>*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>
>Ok, that is where I was about two weeks ago, I have pondered these questions
>for some time, I have spoken with Bart@Amiga and Bryce@Hoser at length, and
>we have not answered all these questions.  Is anyone interested in getting
>in on this?  Anybody working on Telecommunications software?  Tony of VT100
>fame?  Maybe the Max Elbowroom guys...?
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595

DO, DO sign onto BIX and check the last couple hundred (sorry) messages
in amiga.dev/main.  There has been a lengthy discussion there of how to do
this (initially engendered by rsimonson of microbotics).  Also, there
are some messages in suggestions and maybe bugs in amiga.dev.  The best
way to find these would be to search for the word serial in the last 200
messages in each and follow the threads from there.  I have posted maybe
100-200 lines about it that I'm NOT going to dig up again.

If you talk to bart@amiga, tell him to check it out on bix (he usually doesn't
use BIX (if ever)).  Or have him call andy finkel, who I think has been
following it.

     //	Randell Jesup			Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer	13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	lunge!jesup@beowulf.UUCP	(518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/22/87)

in article <6327@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) says:

> In article <4300@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:
>
> How do you get software designers to acknowledge your board, in either
> of the above situations the software designer has to either allow the
> user to open the serial.device with a specific unit number, or has to
> allow you to open a named device (like I want to open the parallel.device
> and run a terminal program between two Amigas!).  Or do we send the
> programmers to talk to Dos Devices and open SER2:?

I think the best solution for supporting alternate devices is to pass the
DOS name to the program, and then let it look up the specifics on that
name if it need Exec level access.  Obviously you can't run a 9600 or
faster serial port very nicely just by opening "SER2:" or something like
that, but you can certainly pass the DOS name and let the program find
out that SER2: is actually attached to "serial1.device", unit 0, or
"serial.device", unit 1, or whatever.  The DOS namespace is a level of
complete abstration, while the Exec device namespace isn't, so this feature
should and can be exploited without any disadvantages.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

In article <6327@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
> In article <4300@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:
> >  How can I hook up a second modem to my A1000?
>
> This is as good a time as any to start a new discussion on the net, so,
> if you were building a second serial port for the Amiga, would you:
>
> A:	Rewrite the serial.device so that it supports you or the
> 	built in port.  Address each as seperate unit numbers.

Sounds like a good idea, but as you pointed out it'd cause problems with
multiple drivers.

> B:	Write a second serial device called something else and
> 	expect that programmers will allow users to open a named
> 	device,

This is not so good an idea from a utilities viewpoint, but better for
future compatibility.

>	or mount the device as SER2: and use from the
> 	CLI.

Best of all would be to use a named AmigaDOS device for the purpose.

	QUESTION: Is it possible to get from SER: to serial.device the
	same way you get to the console.device from CON:?

Idea:	open "SER:port", then go for the device specified. SER: would
	be mounted with rs232.device. rs232.device would take the
	port id and set up the file handle as if SER: had called that
	particular port directly.

> Then comes all the other questions:
>
> What do you do about preferences?

Write a new program that sets up using rs232.device to get to
the various serial.devices.

> Currently you can only open the
> onboard ports for the printer.device to talk to, how do you change that
> for good, so that you can hang a serial printer on the new port.

Don't know.

> How do you get software designers to acknowledge your board, in either
> of the above situations the software designer has to either allow the
> user to open the serial.device with a specific unit number, or has to
> allow you to open a named device (like I want to open the parallel.device
> and run a terminal program between two Amigas!).  Or do we send the
> programmers to talk to Dos Devices and open SER2:?

See above. If you do this provide sample code to encourage people to go for
it. Amiga programmers seem to like doing things as well behaved a way as
possible. I'm heartened (spent too much time in the CP/M family swamp).
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (01/03/88)

[Someone was asking how you can hook up a second modem. One person replied
that you'd have to either re-write serial.device, or add a new driver.
In either case you have to worry about preferences and programs that hard
code the old name.]

Another suggestion:
Replace serial.device with serial.interface and serial.hardware. A call to
open serial.interface specifies a default device to use (such as
myterm.hardware). If it exists, great--use it. If not, default to serial.
hardware. A dummy serial.device would be added that opens serial.interface
specifying serial.hardware.
Add the ability to "alias" exec nodes, so that myterm.hardware could be
aliased to "ethernet.interface" or "uw5.interface" (5th channel of the
uw protocol), or something else.

Then supporting a new serial port is as simple as creating a mydev.hardware
(which wouldn't need to do much more than character I/O and uart i
initialization).
--
: Michael Gersten		ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!remsit!stb!michael
:				sdcrdcf!trwrb!scgvaxd!stb!michael