[comp.sys.amiga] need 1 megabit DRAMs for my ASDG RAM board

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (12/30/87)

I just bought an 8 MB RAM expansion board (ASDG, Inc.) for my new
Amiga 2000.  The board (unpopulated) looks pretty good (thanx, ASDG!).
My only gripe is that the documentation still refers to the Amiga 1000
version (not much point in supplying me with tests to run under
Workbench 1.1, is there?).

Now I must populate the board, with 1 Megabit by 1, 150 ns (or faster)
DRAMs.  (1 MB = 8 DRAMs.)  But I hunted thru the ads in BYTE magazine,
and the best price I could come up with was $31.95 for a 120 ns DRAM.

Does anyone know where 1 megabit x 1 DRAMs can be purchased more
cheaply?  If so, could u please let me know?  (Please reply directly
to me.)  Thanx in advance!

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

uzun@wolf.UUCP (Roger Uzun) (01/01/88)

In article <20758@linus.UUCP>, sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
> Now I must populate the board, with 1 Megabit by 1, 150 ns (or faster)
> DRAMs.  (1 MB = 8 DRAMs.)  But I hunted thru the ads in BYTE magazine,
> and the best price I could come up with was $31.95 for a 120 ns DRAM.
>
> Does anyone know where 1 megabit x 1 DRAMs can be purchased more..

I just got the same board and if you check on page 29 of the Nov 26th
issue of EDN magazine you will see a copy of an add from OKI semiconductor
in Sunnyvale for a limited time offer of 9 1mb DRams in plastic 18 pin
DIP housing for $186.00 (limit 3).  Thats where I ordered mine from.  It is
still a lot (almost $21.00/chip) but it is the best I could do for now.  The
problem at this point is really the yen vs $ imbalance.  In any case you
can call Audrey Mendez at 1-408-720-1900 and ask her if the offer is still
on but I would do it right away.  What I did is buy 18 of the chips which
cost me $378.00 then sold the 2 I don't need to a local electronics dealer
for $21.00 a piece so my new cost was not too high but in the short term
anyone who needs 1MBit Drams is screwed.

-Roger

In article <20758@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

> I just bought an 8 MB RAM expansion board (ASDG, Inc.) for my new
> Amiga 2000...
>
> Now I must populate the board, with 1 Megabit by 1, 150 ns (or faster)
> DRAMs.  (1 MB = 8 DRAMs.)  But I hunted thru the ads in BYTE magazine,
> and the best price I could come up with was $31.95 for a 120 ns DRAM.
>
> Does anyone know where 1 megabit x 1 DRAMs can be purchased more
> cheaply?

Unfortunatly, 1MB DRAM's don't seem to be available cheaply.  Take any
advertised prices you see with a grain of salt, as they are usually out
of date by what ever the publication's advertising lead time is, as much
as 1-4 months...

Best bet is to $CALL the places that either advertise only DRAM's or
that carry an extensive line of mail-order components, as these places
are often more on the ball than "we sell DRAM's for our PC clones" places.

The advertisements in the "Computer Shopper" offer a considerably shorter
lead-time than Byte or the other "glossies" and offer a larger playing field.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr