[comp.sys.amiga] UUPC: Backlog

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (01/05/88)

In article <71@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>I would like to see UUPC for at least the IBM PC, but also for the
>Amiga.  Now, I've been told how to get via Bitnet, and by annonymous
>ftp, both of which I am unable to do.  I have also been given the
>address to contact for these items.  I have mailed to the address
>three times, with never a response.

There is currently a large (no kidding) backlog of mail waiting at
the UUPC request mailbox here that I can certainly use an extra half-time
staff to help sort out if someone would like to fund that. :-)

Seriously, the backlog we currently have is large, and we don't like it
that way, but we can only do our best with the limited time we have got.
(And the time we spent on mail only takes away from the little time we
have got to try to prepare the next release with.)

I don't like to complain, the response we have been getting for UUPC has
been fantastic, and we love it, but there is only 24 hours to a day
and there are a lot of things that we have to squeeze in there.  UUPC
had been a spare time project for all of us, and will likely continue to
remain so... (unless, again, someone want to fund this "research")

>Now, how can I get my hands on this without pulling my own teeth?

If you can't do BITNET nor ARPAnet FTP, then the options I can currently
think of are:

  1) directly UUCP it from van-bc
  2) find a nearby comp.sources.misc archive
  3) find someone else that has it

Having us mail out the UUPC distribution by e-mail is definitely NOT
an option, as we could not abuse our UUCP neighbours nor could we
afford the real $ cost of sending such large files out via UUNET a few
times a week.  So, please save us all some trouble by not asking for
the impossible.  Thanks.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <Samuel.Lam@van-bc.UUCP> or
{ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!van-bc!skl