[comp.sys.amiga] Suggested Feautre for New Software

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (12/25/87)

Now that I have obtained 2megs of ram, it has become much more
pheasable for me to do multi-tasking. My typical set up includes
Textcraft Plus (now that I have FINALLY got it) running simultaneously
with another Textcraft Plus, and maybe an Online! and a CLI task (for
unpacking downloads).

I would like to make a suggestion, based on my experiences, to the
authors of software:

Could you please put in the option, that could be saved in a program
preferences file, lie .trm files for Online! or the Textcraft Plus
preferences file, that would cause the program to elevate its status
to a higher priority than most others when its window or screen is
activated. This would automatically give the user a single  task
response time when using the program directly, but still leave extra
time to other programs. Then, when that window or screen is unselected
the progam could reduce its priority so it would run in the background
and would not disturb other programs.

What do you think ?

||   Paul Brody        //	The above is in no way meant to imply the    ||
||   pbrody@udenva  \\//	opinions of the University of Denver 	     ||

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (01/05/88)

In article <9641@udenva.cair.du.edu> news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:

>I would like to make a suggestion, based on my experiences, to the
>authors of software:
>
>Could you please put in the option, that could be saved in a program
>preferences file, lie .trm files for Online! or the Textcraft Plus
>preferences file, that would cause the program to elevate its status
>to a higher priority than most others when its window or screen is
>activated. This would automatically give the user a single task....
>
>What do you think ?

This sounds like it could be handled by one of the 'click-to-front' type
programs.  If the program in question is running as a CLI process then it
would be pretty easy to find out that the active window contained process
#xxx and bump the priority accordingly.  I imagine you could do some fancy
stuff to find out which task was receiving IDCMP messages if you were not
running a CLI process, and thus find the correct process/task in this manner.
I'm not volunteering, just speculating.  Any takers ?

	Steve