[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga frame buffers?

rgd059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov (01/05/88)

[ Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'm 600 messages behind.... ]

Does anyone have any info on frame buffers for the Amiga (2000)?  I need
at least 24 bits/pixel (32 would be nice) color or 8 bits/pixel monochrome.
Resolution is not all that important... 512X512 or 640X480 would be enough
(although I wouldn't complain about more....)  I'd like to get some people
here interested in using Amy as a low-cost image processing workstation and
these are the minimum requirements.  I've heard some rumors, but nothing
specific.  Can anyone in net.land help?

Also, what about X-windows servers for the frame buffers?  I've heard it will
be coming in KS1.4 for the normal Amiga display, but what about frame buffer
support?  Or even (dream, dream, drool, drool) Intuition support for frame
buffers?

Thanx in advance.....

Bob Deen  @  NASA-JPL Image Processing Lab
rgd059@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov               span:  mipl3::rgd059

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (01/06/88)

In article <5140@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> rgd059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov writes:
>[ Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'm 600 messages behind.... ]
>
>Does anyone have any info on frame buffers for the Amiga (2000)?  I need
>at least 24 bits/pixel (32 would be nice) color or 8 bits/pixel monochrome.

There are at least 4 projects going on outside of cbm that are working
on various kinds of frame buffers for the amiga. Some of them are just dumb
buffers and some have graphics accelerators. Dates and dollars have not
been speced yet. Some are hires and some are ntsc res with lots of colors.

>Also, what about X-windows servers for the frame buffers?

The X-windows I am readying should have no problem talking to dumb frame
buffers since the pd code already supports that. I just need to know what
those buffers are going to autoconfig as. X-windows is coming along for
the standard amiga displays.
Dale Luck