[comp.sys.amiga] The REAL virus problem... is the nature of personal computers.

In article <7967@g.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
> The designers at Commodore Amiga should have never made it possible to
> install a virus in such a way.  One *cannot* rely on ignorance as
> protection against programmers with bad intentions.

You cannot design a system in which you run unverified software that
someone cannot hide a virus. If they didn't use the warm boot vector
to activate their virus they'd have hidden it somewhere else. The ONLY
way to guarantee true safety is to have an operating system with
multiuser protection, hardware memory protection, and no ability to
transfer object modules. Even then, there are holes you can squeeze
through. Look into truly secrure operating systems some time, and
ask yourself if you really want to live in that world.

Still, I think the current crop of personal computers are a little too
open. A little more security (at the expense of a little user friendliness)
would be nice... but...

Security and convenience are opposite goals. You (the personal computer
market) rejected the security of UNIX because it was a little inconvenient.

Now you (and we, who just wanted their own UNIX system) are paying the
price.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.