[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500 power poll.

kasper@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Kasper Osterbye) (12/07/87)

Hi folks.

As promissed I would post the results of my giant poll on 500 power problems.
I got 10 cases (incl. my own)

9 1meg+extra drive machines.
1 1meg machine.

One person had to have his power supply changed, and have not had any problems
since. One needed to tie something inside the powersupply to stop it "humming".

Based on the owerwhelming number of cases I dare the conclusion that you can
get 500 with a bad powersupply, but that it is not too common. Also most of us
is putting "max" load on the supply (512k+drive) and have not had any problems.

And so it became that we can all have a merry christmas and a happy a500.

  _
_/ \
 \ o)

 ,-\\__           No, I give up, Peters wolf is better (best!)
 )  \__  Kasper

In article ... kasper@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
>   _
> _/ \
>  \ o)
>  ,-\\__           No, I give up, Peters wolf is better (best!)
>  )  \__  Kasper

	 /\___/\
	 \ _ _ /
	 / +_+ \
	(  /_\  )
	 \_____/

	My wolf?

	Here, you can have my teddy bear. (Awwwwwwww...)
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

wood@killer.UUCP (Russell Wood) (01/03/88)

I have a friend who just got a Commodore 64 for Xmas. He is asking me how
he can hook up his modem (Hayes) so he can ask some of these questions
himself.

I am in hopes someone on this board might know how to interface the RS232
type equip to the 64. I couldn't make much of Commodores documentation as
they don't (at least in his manuals) talk about serial I/O like I am used to
i.e. DB25 connectors and TD, RD, CD, DSR, DTR, etc.

Any help on just pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

- killer!wood or
  killer!psycho!wood

lupin3@UCSCB.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (01/04/88)

+-In article <2640@killer.UUCP>, wood@killer.UUCP (Russell Wood) wrote:-
+----------

| I have a friend who just got a Commodore 64 for Xmas. He is asking me how
| he can hook up his modem (Hayes) so he can ask some of these questions
| himself.
|
| I am in hopes someone on this board might know how to interface the RS232
| type equip to the 64. I couldn't make much of Commodores documentation as
| they don't (at least in his manuals) talk about serial I/O like I am used to
| i.e. DB25 connectors and TD, RD, CD, DSR, DTR, etc.
|
| Any help on just pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

+----------

  I bought an Omnitronix, Inc. Deluxe RS232C Male Interface, which seems just
dandy... $40 or so... I haven't had any experience with it yet, as my C=64
broke, but I'll let you know how it works later...

  their address is : Omnitronix Inc.
		     760 Harrison Street
		     Seattle, WA 98109
		     Ph#: (206) 624 - 4985
  disclaimer: I don't work for Omnitronix; in fact, I don't work for anybody...

--
.. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .           .
.. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .           .
|   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ ARPA: lupin3@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_\ (_ || )(_)_\ UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lupin3
larry      /   hastings        _/    BITNET: lupin3@ucscb@ucscc.BITNET
     ^v^v^vBoy, I'm glad I don't live in an alternate universe!^v^v^v
Disclaimer: All original text above was pointless & random, & it makes me proud.
.           .          .         .        .       .      .     .    .   .  . ..
.           .          .         .        .       .      .     .    .   .  . ..

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (01/04/88)

In article <2640@killer.UUCP> wood@killer.UUCP (Russell Wood) writes:

>I have a friend who just got a Commodore 64 for Xmas. He is asking me how
>he can hook up his modem (Hayes) so he can ask some of these questions
>himself.
>
>I am in hopes someone on this board might know how to interface the RS232
>type equip to the 64...

Look in the C64 magazines for a C-64 RS-232 interface.  I think there
may be ones available from Jameco (415-592-8097) & Omnitronix (206-236-2983).

These things convert the C-64 user port to standard RS-232.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

wood@killer.UUCP (Russell Wood) (01/06/88)

In article <8801040827.AA07754@ucscb.UCSC.EDU>, lupin3@UCSCB.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) writes:
> +-In article <2640@killer.UUCP>, wood@killer.UUCP (Russell Wood) wrote:-
> +----------
> |

> | I have a friend who just got a Commodore 64 for Xmas. He is asking me how
> | he can hook up his modem (Hayes) so he can ask some of these questions
> | himself.
> |
> | I am in hopes someone on this board might know how to interface the RS232
> | type equip to the 64. I couldn't make much of Commodores documentation as
> | they don't (at least in his manuals) talk about serial I/O like I am used to
> | i.e. DB25 connectors and TD, RD, CD, DSR, DTR, etc.
> |
> | Any help on just pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
> |
> +----------

Hey, I want to thank all of you for your responses to my question on the
interface problem I was having with the C64. I'm sure with the info you
gave we will be able to get this kid off the ground.

I'm still crawling with an A1000 I recently bought so all your other input
in this group is helping me to get better aquainted with this monster. Right
now I can't make up my mind if this is closer to a UNIX OS or PC-DOS or both.

One comment on those that have been questioning the value of multitasking....
If you ever find you do one task consistantly (i.e. run specific reports
against a database) periodically during the month then set them up to run
against a cron and forget about them. Let the machine remember to run them.
Now if you decided to use your machine on some other project and the time
comes up for the reports to run (now unattended) then in a sense two jobs
are being run during the same period and you are not waiting 'your turn'.

Besides, I thought most people that end up getting into these machines
were the "I WANT IT NOW" generation for the most part. I know I am.

Oh well,.....so much for my 2 cents worth. Thanks again. - Russ

One more thing .. can you tell me where to find some IFF format images?
I would like to try out some of these video/grafic/animation features.

killer!psycho!wood