[comp.sys.amiga] Floppy format

micha@ecrcvax.UUCP (Micha Meier) (01/05/88)

I intend to buy an A2000, but before I do that, I want to be sure that
I can bring my programs on it. The problem is that from my Sun
I have a connection to a Mac and to an Atari Mega, but no possible
connection to the Amiga, so the only way I can load files from the Sun
is with the 3.5 floppy. I've read somewhere that the Amiga floppy format
is not compatible with ST or Mac - is that true? Is there some other
way (converting program) that makes it possible to read Mac or ST ASCII
files on the amiga? If the floppy format is not compatible with PS/2
and the above, I'd be interested to know why it is so - any special reason?

--Micha

UUCP: mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!micha

In article <467@ecrcvax.UUCP> micha@ecrcvax.UUCP (Micha Meier) writes:
>                           ... The problem is that from my Sun
>I have a connection to a Mac and to an Atari Mega, but no possible
>connection to the Amiga, so the only way I can load files from the Sun
>is with the 3.5 floppy.

Your best bet is NFS from Ameristar :-) works like a champ.

>                    ... I've read somewhere that the Amiga floppy format
>is not compatible with ST or Mac - is that true?

Yup it's true, but there is hope ...

>                                              ...Is there some other
>way (converting program) that makes it possible to read Mac or ST ASCII
>files on the amiga? If the floppy format is not compatible with PS/2
>and the above, I'd be interested to know why it is so - any special reason?

There is a program (commercial) called DOS-2-DOS that will copy files from
and Amiga 3.5" disk a IBM PC or Atari ST format 3.5" disk. And it uses the
Amiga drives (no special drive required). It is available from most mail
order places and some dealers.

--Chuck McManis